Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: what setting for silky smooth water?

  1. #1

    Default what setting for silky smooth water?

    Hi all,

    I would like to capture those silky water effects using an ND filter x8 during daytime.

    What mode should I set in and how slow?

    TIA

  2. #2

    Default Re: what setting for silky smooth water?

    Quote Originally Posted by telefax
    Hi all,

    I would like to capture those silky water effects using an ND filter x8 during daytime.

    What mode should I set in and how slow?

    TIA
    depends on how fast the water is flowing. Typically, about 1/2 to 2 seconds should get you pretty smooth water

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Posts
    902

    Default Re: what setting for silky smooth water?

    if u r using DSLR or prosumer cam...just set the dial to Tv and set more than 1 second exposure depending on the speed of the water is flowing.
    Canon EOS 70D + 40D

  4. #4
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: what setting for silky smooth water?

    the faster flow of water the shorter the time needed.

  5. #5

    Default Re: what setting for silky smooth water?

    Thanks all for the input,

    Yes I am using DSLR, but when i tried capturing a flowing water under a running tape using ND8 , didnt seem to capture the effect.

    Anyway, I will try to set to Tv/Shutter mode and try for few secs

    Appreciate the help

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SGee
    Posts
    1,572

    Default Re: what setting for silky smooth water?

    Quote Originally Posted by telefax
    Thanks all for the input,

    Yes I am using DSLR, but when i tried capturing a flowing water under a running tape using ND8 , didnt seem to capture the effect.

    Anyway, I will try to set to Tv/Shutter mode and try for few secs

    Appreciate the help
    wah, wad a waste of water. Raffles City B1 got nice water feature. take from L2 directly down.

  7. #7

    Default Re: what setting for silky smooth water?

    bracket the shutter speed

  8. #8
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: what setting for silky smooth water?

    Quote Originally Posted by ortega
    the faster flow of water the shorter the time needed.

    Very Zen.....

    master, where did you learn this from.....Shao Lin Si?

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default Re: what setting for silky smooth water?

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights
    Very Zen.....

    master, where did you learn this from.....Shao Lin Si?
    how about this one, over a long time(shutter) the more the water moves, the more still are the reflections

  10. #10
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: what setting for silky smooth water?

    Quote Originally Posted by eikin
    how about this one, over a long time(shutter) the more the water moves, the more still are the reflections
    Wow. you lagi best..

    you're from India?

  11. #11

    Default Re: what setting for silky smooth water?

    Quote Originally Posted by sORe-EyEz
    wah, wad a waste of water. Raffles City B1 got nice water feature. take from L2 directly down.
    aiyah...the water eventually flow into a kettle

  12. #12

    Default Re: what setting for silky smooth water?

    Quote Originally Posted by user111
    bracket the shutter speed
    user111: how do I do this? Pardon me, still new...and pressed for time cos will be out of town soon

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    2,504

    Default Re: what setting for silky smooth water?

    RTFM (read the friendly manual)

    it should be inside. look under bracketing. bracketing basically takes 3 photos (or more if ur cam supports it) of different shutter speedss. you can then choose the best photo fo the three

  14. #14

    Default Re: what setting for silky smooth water?

    Since you have the benefit of immediate review, do this.

    Unless you want a "shakey" image, these types of images are taken with the camera on a tripod.

    Set your camera to shutter priority.

    Depending on the flow of the water and the effect you want, set the shutter speed to 1/4 second, then 1/2 second, then 1 second, then 2 seconds. One of these shutter speeds should give you what you want.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Gim Boon Tai
    Posts
    2,909

    Default Re: what setting for silky smooth water?

    I think for daytime even with NDx8, you still need to shoot at f22, or the smallest possible aperture to maximise the shutter speeds. Depending on weather, you may be getting shutter speeds from 2-8s. Of course, the longer the better if you want silker water, but there's a limit in the day, unless you want to resort to stacking more filters.
    If you understand my works, it's photography. If you don't, it's art.
    SplutterPhotography|flickr

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •