Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Singaporean consumers screwed?

  1. #1
    Senior Member UncleFai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,280

    Default Singaporean consumers screwed?

    http://www.straitstimes.com/singapor...s-its-products

    Reminds me of a few years back, DBS made compensation to HK customers for their Lehman products - but in Singapore, tough luck, their local clients got zip.

  2. #2
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,110

    Default Re: Singaporean consumers screwed?

    Quote Originally Posted by UncleFai View Post
    http://www.straitstimes.com/singapor...s-its-products
    Reminds me of a few years back, DBS made compensation to HK customers for their Lehman products - but in Singapore, tough luck, their local clients got zip.
    Where is the Singaporean "Better be safe than sorry" song? IKEA puts the advice and the small items to secure the drawer into the package.
    For US, IKEA should include a warning to store heavy guns ony in the lower drawers. Easier to reach for the kids and the drawers will not topple.
    EOS

  3. #3

    Default Re: Singaporean consumers screwed?

    Quote Originally Posted by UncleFai View Post
    http://www.straitstimes.com/singapor...s-its-products

    Reminds me of a few years back, DBS made compensation to HK customers for their Lehman products - but in Singapore, tough luck, their local clients got zip.
    Singaporean only speak up at the wrong time!

    Come on Singaporean, demand you right.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Singaporean consumers screwed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    Where is the Singaporean "Better be safe than sorry" song? IKEA puts the advice and the small items to secure the drawer into the package.
    For US, IKEA should include a warning to store heavy guns ony in the lower drawers. Easier to reach for the kids and the drawers will not topple.


    on a serious note, a major retailer has to bear the blame and lost sales for ill-behaved kids who play recklessly, and parents who don't secure their furniture as advised.

    that's a sad prelude of things to come

  5. #5
    Senior Member Nikonzen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Oklahoma, USA
    Posts
    2,120

    Default Re: Singaporean consumers screwed?

    Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post


    on a serious note, a major retailer has to bear the blame and lost sales for ill-behaved kids who play recklessly, and parents who don't secure their furniture as advised.

    that's a sad prelude of things to come
    Pretty soon it will be politically incorrect to say politically correct in USA...and no one will be able to read anyway. Haha
    Expand your mind or get left behind

  6. #6
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,673

    Default Re: Singaporean consumers screwed?

    Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post


    on a serious note, a major retailer has to bear the blame and lost sales for ill-behaved kids who play recklessly, and parents who don't secure their furniture as advised.

    that's a sad prelude of things to come
    Those "ill-behaved kids who play recklessly" are the future of this country. One day they will grow up to run this country and you'll be paying for their salaries.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Singaporean consumers screwed?

    Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post


    on a serious note, a major retailer has to bear the blame and lost sales for ill-behaved kids who play recklessly, and parents who don't secure their furniture as advised.

    that's a sad prelude of things to come
    One life lost is too many.

    If IKEA cautious the consumer, do you think people will buy the goods?

  8. #8
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,110

    Default Re: Singaporean consumers screwed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Yappy View Post
    If IKEA cautious the consumer, do you think people will buy the goods?
    IKEA has always included safety recommendations in to the product packages and millions of happy customers buy the goods and follow the advice. Many of my friends started their first own place with furniture from IKEA and screwing drawers and shelves to the wall was just common sense. Especially old wooden flooring (looks great if well maintained) tends to be uneven.
    EOS

  9. #9

    Default Re: Singaporean consumers screwed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    IKEA has always included safety recommendations in to the product packages and millions of happy customers buy the goods and follow the advice. Many of my friends started their first own place with furniture from IKEA and screwing drawers and shelves to the wall was just common sense. Especially old wooden flooring (looks great if well maintained) tends to be uneven.
    If you buy any chest from any store, it will probably have this problem, so it is not an Ikea problem alone. I don't know why Ikea is doing this in the US but probably they are afraid of being sued. Nobody will sue a small shop but Ikea has lots of money, so a good target for the class action lawyers.
    For those who are extra cautious, there are chest with locks. When any drawer is open, the rest of the other drawers will not be able to pull out. Only when it is closed, then another drawer can be open. This prevent the kid from standing on the lower opened drawer and opening the top drawer causing the chest to tip over. Most file cabinets have this feature.
    By the way, if you saw the video, another culprit is the large screen TV that is not wall mounted or secured to the table.
    Website: Curious

  10. #10
    Senior Member UncleFai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,280

    Default Re: Singaporean consumers screwed?

    http://www.straitstimes.com/asia/eas...china-watchdog

    Glad that Singapore help them save some cost.

  11. #11
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,634
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Singaporean consumers screwed?

    IIRC there is a recall also on the Ikea Malm series of beds and headboards. So do take note.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 12th July 2016 at 02:07 PM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •