Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 53

Thread: piracy crackdown

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    newbie land
    Posts
    1,971

    Default piracy crackdown

    For those who are still not aware. The news reported that

    "33 Internet users here probed in piracy crackdown. POLICE are investigating 33 home Internet users here for illegally distributing music files online, as part of a global piracy crackdown by the music industry"
    Last edited by DarkForce; 16th November 2005 at 07:15 AM.
    寒冰不能斷流水 枯木亦會再逢春

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: piracy crackdown

    hmm
    i wonder if exchanging unlicenced anime also will get probed anot...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  3. #3

    Default Re: piracy crackdown

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt
    hmm
    i wonder if exchanging unlicenced anime also will get probed anot...
    I sure hope not!!

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    lulu island
    Posts
    6,131

    Default Re: piracy crackdown

    soon... every data will be screened by your ISP/RIAS before reaching the other party.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: piracy crackdown

    Quote Originally Posted by Drudkh
    soon... every data will be screened by your ISP before reaching the other party.
    technically, every data IS screened by your ISP before reaching the other party... its just that they did not do a 100% check yet...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    lulu island
    Posts
    6,131

    Default Re: piracy crackdown

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt
    technically, every data IS screened by your ISP before reaching the other party... its just that they did not do a 100% check yet...
    yes technically. but got email reply they say no leh.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Planet Eropagnis
    Posts
    2,944

    Default Re: piracy crackdown

    All internet traffic are routed via ur ISP's proxy server.

    Which effectively means that all ur traffic are logged.
    In addition to that, if ur ISP decided to play sneaky, they can install a network packet sniffer along their gateway to log every single friggin' thing u typed and are sending across the internet to the other party.

    Currently there is no way to bypass ur ISP's proxy server unless u don't surf the net.
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: piracy crackdown

    Quote Originally Posted by Drudkh
    yes technically. but got email reply they say no leh.
    ask them to cross their heart & hope to die?

    think there would be alot of dead corpse at data centre by now...

    btw, even MMS are monitored lor.. where did privacy went? out the window, direct to mass burial...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Planet Eropagnis
    Posts
    2,944

    Default Re: piracy crackdown

    Quote Originally Posted by Drudkh
    yes technically. but got email reply they say no leh.
    'By Right' they say they dun log... but 'by left'... who knows what the hell they are doing huh?
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Planet Eropagnis
    Posts
    2,944

    Default Re: piracy crackdown

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt
    ask them to cross their heart & hope to die?

    think there would be alot of dead corpse at data centre by now...

    btw, even MMS are monitored lor.. where did privacy went? out the window, direct to mass burial...
    Did it even exist in the first place?

    Not in this entire planet. Privacy is non-existent anyway.
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

  11. #11

    Default Re: piracy crackdown

    Do u guys tink these 33 are seeders or even just bittorent 'downloaders'?...haizz...
    Fond memories of good old Sim Lim..

    And those days when, if you purchase a system at a PCshow, you can simply pass along a whole list of softwares and they come shipped with them!kekeke..

    Sorry maybe OT a bit..

  12. #12

    Default Re: piracy crackdown

    i think this move was to infrom the locals that the music industry is doing something. the new was made the front page and scary. seriously, there millions of people are exhanging digital music illegally but only 33 lucky ones are being caught.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: piracy crackdown

    Quote Originally Posted by firestone
    Do u guys tink these 33 are seeders or even just bittorent 'downloaders'?...haizz...
    Fond memories of good old Sim Lim..

    And those days when, if you purchase a system at a PCshow, you can simply pass along a whole list of softwares and they come shipped with them!kekeke..

    Sorry maybe OT a bit..
    ya those were the days when my pocket money per mth is only 500... dang...

    but i still buy original games & software thou...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: piracy crackdown

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldmember
    i think this move was to infrom the locals that the music industry is doing something. the new was made the front page and scary. seriously, there millions of people are exhanging digital music illegally but only 33 lucky ones are being caught.
    hmm sounds like a lucky draw & i think those 33 just filled in too many contest forms...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  15. #15
    Senior Member glennyong's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    5,587

    Default Re: piracy crackdown

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt
    hmm sounds like a lucky draw & i think those 33 just filled in too many contest forms...



  16. #16

    Default Re: piracy crackdown

    haha long ago, the whole of sim lim was selling pirated software! not just a few shops man...
    but then again, the games then were'nt that good...
    i remember some of the yucky ones:
    math blaster
    freddy fish
    Putt Putt

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    lulu island
    Posts
    6,131

    Default Re: piracy crackdown

    The Island!

  18. #18
    Senior Member +evenstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Singapore / United Kingdom
    Posts
    5,655

    Default Re: piracy crackdown

    Don't send online lor...save into CD and pass to your friend...
    eat. drink. shoot

  19. #19
    Senior Member sammy888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,568

    Default Re: piracy crackdown

    Quote Originally Posted by firestone
    Do u guys tink these 33 are seeders or even just bittorent 'downloaders'?...haizz...
    Fond memories of good old Sim Lim..

    And those days when, if you purchase a system at a PCshow, you can simply pass along a whole list of softwares and they come shipped with them!kekeke..

    Sorry maybe OT a bit..
    I think they were caught because they were using Kazaa most likely..Kazza is one big spyware in itself, how hard would it be for the law enforcer to task their own IT people to go online and bait unsuspecting people not too internet or PC savvy. They will be the first to get caught.

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,095

    Default Re: piracy crackdown

    Quote Originally Posted by jsbn
    Currently there is no way to bypass ur ISP's proxy server unless u don't surf the net.
    There are ways.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •