Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3rd Party Lenses

Default Re: 3rd Party Lenses

Quote Originally Posted by Fluorite
    But Sigma lenses always seem tempting. They usually have what I want for a lower cost. I have yet to encounter paint peeling off (i dun wish to) so I still sort of trust Sigma. Just that after the hear say about inferior optical elements (I still doubt this).
    my sigma has it's paint peeled of because of heavy utilisation(not abuse)...also by the previous owner.I have compared the image quality from my Sigma 70-200f2.8 to the 70-200f2.8L and the image quality from the sigma can match that of the f2.8L.

paint peel? why not gaffer the lens up...

i dont feel the need to...and dont really have the time...

To me external condition of e lens though important, is secondary. More critically is if it can produce good results datz e 1 I'll go for.

Both my Sigma lenses (70-200 F2.8 EX & 50-500 EX) have the finish peeling off (especially at the tripod collars). Quite unsightly for a supposedly pro quality lens. The 20 F1.8 EX i sold didn't have this problem though.

Optically, Sigmas are actually very good for the money. However, their very poor QC lets them down. There seem to be a lot of bad copies floating around, so much so that even review sites report getting bad lenses that are either softer, mis-focus or have weird alignment problems, or all of the above.

If you're getting a 3rd party lens (or even Canon L for that matter), always test the hell out of it in the shop first.

Quote Originally Posted by Denosha
    Both my Sigma lenses (70-200 F2.8 EX & 50-500 EX) have the finish peeling off (especially at the tripod collars). Quite unsightly for a supposedly pro quality lens. The 20 F1.8 EX i sold didn't have this problem though.

Optically, Sigmas are actually very good for the money. However, their very poor QC lets them down. There seem to be a lot of bad copies floating around, so much so that even review sites report getting bad lenses that are either softer, mis-focus or have weird alignment problems, or all of the above.

If you're getting a 3rd party lens (or even Canon L for that matter), always test the hell out of it in the shop first.
    there has been indeed a lot of Sigma lemon copies of lenses goin around.Best way to test is to go outdoors, if the shop allows, and use a tripod, transfer into your computer and check.Before I purchased my copy of the Sigma, it has gone throught rigrous testing by me.I also brought another friend who has this lens with me and compared the images.
    Last edited by JediForce4ever; 8th December 2005 at 02:46 PM.

i have a very old sigma fisheye (before the so called ZEN finish)
    there is no peeling as it is normal plastic
    well, that is the only sigma i have. ok to me as i seldom use it, like once in 10 years

I don't think there is anything wrong with 3rd party lenses... I use Canon, Sigma and Tamron and I think if you pick the right models, they can really complement each other well.
    There is no life without fast cars....

Quote Originally Posted by mpenza
    There're good and bad lenses from every manufacturer. Just get the ones that meet your budget and needs.
    Couldn't agree more with you. No one brand are best in everything they manufacture. That especially holds true when it comes to the non-pro series. Even 3rd party manufacturer can come out with some great lenses at times. Research, research and more research

There is nothing wrong with the 3rd party lenses just because they are cheaper than the original ones (same brand as the camera). And precisely that's the value of 3rd parties. To be cheap and good is hard. Experience tells me it is better to focus on some good original lenses and go for them. I still stick to some lenses after a few years and really appreciate them although they cost more than the 3rd party lenses. Just m2c.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12