Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 234569 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 234

Thread: Unique2Me National Photo Contest

  1. #61
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Unique2Me National Photo Contest

    point 11 only protects STB from any claims from anyone, just in case you have already granted an exclusive license to someone else.

  2. #62
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Unique2Me National Photo Contest

    BTW so far no response from STB

  3. #63

    Default Re: Unique2Me National Photo Contest

    I don't know if you can consider them a charity.
    I always thought they were second only to EDB.
    Their head office definately does them proud

    Anyway, you can read their financial statements at their website.
    I'm no accountant.
    Can anyone intepret their financial statements and put things in perspective.

    It's a pdf document at the bottom of this page
    http://app.stb.com.sg/asp/abo/abo09.asp
    Work: PicasaWeb | Play: Animus3 | Mobile: Tumblr

  4. #64
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    2,522

    Default Re: Unique2Me National Photo Contest

    Quote Originally Posted by ortega
    point No. 9

    The Participant hereby agrees that STB reserves the right to use all photograph(s) submitted by the Participant for the Photo Contest (“Photographs”) for any purpose that STB deems fit including without limitation for publicity purposes, communications related to the Photo Contest and/or promoting Singapore as a travel destination, and hereby grants to STB a royalty-free and non-exclusive licence to use the copyright and all other intellectual property rights of whatever nature in such Photographs for such purposes, provided that in the event that STB decides to use the Participant’s Photograph(s), STB shall affix, print, or otherwise state on the appropriate form or medium, a notice to credit the source of the Photograph(s) to the Participant. In addition, the Participant shall do all things and execute all documents necessary or as may be required by STB to enforce any of the rights promised to STB herein.

    also notice that the licence granted to STB is non-exclusive
    There has been some concerned members that the organisers would not be interested in having to pay for usage of their photos. Well I propose that amendment to the above T&C be along the lines of,

    "The Participant hereby agrees that STB reserves the right to use all photograph(s) submitted by the Participant for the Photo Contest (“Photographs”) for any purpose that STB deems fit including without limitation for publicity purposes, communications related to the Photo Contest and/or promoting Singapore as a travel destination, and hereby grants royalty-free reproduction rights to STB for a period of 18 months commencing from xx/xx/xxxx (state date)"

    After 18 months (or any other reasonable period), both photographer & organiser may discuss any further usage rights again for a stated period, either royalty-free or for a small/big fee. I think this way teaches both parties on how to be responsible towards IPR in photography.

    This should be written as a seperate point to avoid miscommunications: "Provided that in the event that STB decides to use the Participant’s Photograph(s), STB shall affix, print, or otherwise state on the appropriate form or medium, a notice to credit the source of the Photograph(s) to the Participant. In addition, the Participant shall do all things and execute all documents necessary or as may be required by STB to enforce any of the rights promised to STB herein."
    Last edited by foxtwo; 20th November 2005 at 09:42 AM.

  5. #65
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Unique2Me National Photo Contest

    Quote Originally Posted by radedward
    I don't know if you can consider them a charity.
    I always thought they were second only to EDB.
    Their head office definately does them proud

    Anyway, you can read their financial statements at their website.
    I'm no accountant.
    Can anyone intepret their financial statements and put things in perspective.

    It's a pdf document at the bottom of this page
    http://app.stb.com.sg/asp/abo/abo09.asp
    i was talking about SPCA lah, not STB

  6. #66
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Unique2Me National Photo Contest

    Quote Originally Posted by foxtwo
    There has been some concerned members that the organisers would not be interested in having to pay for usage of their photos. Well I propose that amendment to the above T&C be along the lines of,

    "The Participant hereby agrees that STB reserves the right to use all photograph(s) submitted by the Participant for the Photo Contest (“Photographs”) for any purpose that STB deems fit including without limitation for publicity purposes, communications related to the Photo Contest and/or promoting Singapore as a travel destination, and hereby grants royalty-free reproduction rights to STB for a period of 18 months commencing from xx/xx/xxxx (state date)"

    After 18 months (or any other reasonable period), both photographer & organiser may discuss any further usage rights again for a stated period, either royalty-free or for a small/big fee. I think this way teaches both parties on how to be responsible towards IPR in photography.

    This should be written as a seperate point to avoid miscommunications: "Provided that in the event that STB decides to use the Participant’s Photograph(s), STB shall affix, print, or otherwise state on the appropriate form or medium, a notice to credit the source of the Photograph(s) to the Participant. In addition, the Participant shall do all things and execute all documents necessary or as may be required by STB to enforce any of the rights promised to STB herein."
    I agree, but first we need to get them to look at their T&C first and agree that it is unfair to the photographers.

  7. #67
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    all around the world
    Posts
    507

    Default Re: Unique2Me National Photo Contest

    I believe an integral part of art production, irregardless of form & medium, is legal education.

    The whole industry must work together before art can progress.

    The artist must understand what rights he is entitled to when he produces an art.
    The subject must understand what rights he has given to the artist by being a subject.
    The buyer must know how far his rights extend when acquiring an art.
    The organizer must know what his responsibilty for the art form.

    In my personal opinion, one of the Organizer's responsibilty when organizing a photo competition is to promote Photography as an art form. When you organize a competition soley to acquire 'free' images is irresponsible to the participants & may be damaging to the organization's reputation in the art scene. The organizer must be fair (in T&C) to participants, only then will the competitin be a success.

    Only when all parties are well-informed of their rights, then will people dare to show their works without fear of legal actionns against them. There's no point having a great shot yet only have it stored in your HDD.

  8. #68
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: Unique2Me National Photo Contest

    Do you think these organisers care? :P WIth people here saying "whats the big deal" and "you like u submit u dont like dont submit", the organisers are free to put the terms as they like

    Quote Originally Posted by meepokman
    In my personal opinion, one of the Organizer's responsibilty when organizing a photo competition is to promote Photography as an art form. When you organize a competition soley to acquire 'free' images is irresponsible to the participants & may be damaging to the organization's reputation in the art scene. The organizer must be fair (in T&C) to participants, only then will the competitin be a success.

  9. #69
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    all around the world
    Posts
    507

    Default Re: Unique2Me National Photo Contest

    Quote Originally Posted by vince123123
    Do you think these organisers care? :P WIth people here saying "whats the big deal" and "you like u submit u dont like dont submit", the organisers are free to put the terms as they like
    That's when 'educated decisions' by photographers make a difference.

    The more they 'abuse' photographers, the more unwilling photographers.

    When quality of entries drops, they would have failed to achieve their intended purposes.


    The only thing I can say to fellow photographers is: "Have pride in your work"

    You have spent time & effort for that golden shot, why short-change yourself?


    You maybe looking for a break. You may be struggling to survive. But have an artist's pride. Only when you have pride in your work, then will people take your work seriously.

  10. #70

    Thumbs up Re: Unique2Me National Photo Contest

    Quote Originally Posted by meepokman
    You maybe looking for a break. You may be struggling to survive. But have an artist's pride. Only when you have pride in your work, then will people take your work seriously.
    Very well said

  11. #71

    Default Re: Unique2Me National Photo Contest

    Quote Originally Posted by foxtwo
    There has been some concerned members that the organisers would not be interested in having to pay for usage of their photos. Well I propose that amendment to the above T&C be along the lines of,

    "The Participant hereby agrees that STB reserves the right to use all photograph(s) submitted by the Participant for the Photo Contest (“Photographs”) for any purpose that STB deems fit including without limitation for publicity purposes, communications related to the Photo Contest and/or promoting Singapore as a travel destination, and hereby grants royalty-free reproduction rights to STB for a period of 18 months commencing from xx/xx/xxxx (state date)"

    After 18 months (or any other reasonable period), both photographer & organiser may discuss any further usage rights again for a stated period, either royalty-free or for a small/big fee. I think this way teaches both parties on how to be responsible towards IPR in photography.

    This should be written as a seperate point to avoid miscommunications: "Provided that in the event that STB decides to use the Participant’s Photograph(s), STB shall affix, print, or otherwise state on the appropriate form or medium, a notice to credit the source of the Photograph(s) to the Participant. In addition, the Participant shall do all things and execute all documents necessary or as may be required by STB to enforce any of the rights promised to STB herein."

    10,000 dollars seems enough royalty to me

  12. #72
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Hougang
    Posts
    1,398

    Default Re: Unique2Me National Photo Contest

    Quote Originally Posted by meepokman
    You maybe looking for a break. You may be struggling to survive. But have an artist's pride. Only when you have pride in your work, then will people take your work seriously.
    You mean I must remain a poor unknow artist until my death, then someone uncover my pics from my HDD and suddenly I am famous (but still dead) and my pics sells for millions a piece? Just kidding, ha ha.

    for your integrity

  13. #73

    Default Re: Unique2Me National Photo Contest

    in cash or wat the 10k

  14. #74
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    all around the world
    Posts
    507

    Default Re: Unique2Me National Photo Contest

    Quote Originally Posted by rhp
    10,000 dollars seems enough royalty to me
    $10,000 is only for the Grand prize winner.

    The organizer retain the rights to all submitted pictures even when they didn't win anything i.e. they get the rights without paying anything.

  15. #75
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    2,522

    Default Re: Unique2Me National Photo Contest

    Quote Originally Posted by rhp
    10,000 dollars seems enough royalty to me
    I guess then you choose money over pride, so I'm surprised you'll be satisfied by $10,000 when clearly with new T&Cs, you could be earning much much more even after winning that $10,000. Too much money not good then?

    Here's an excellent current real-life example we all can learn from.
    http://www.worldpressphoto.nl/images...engels_def.pdf
    Please scroll down to
    "2006 World Press Photo Entry Form: Point f. I give World Press permission to use my material in the contest, the exhibition, the yearbook, the portfolio CD and on the website and for the promotion of World Press Photo activities without any remuneration being due. My permission is limited to an 18-month period from the announcement of the 2006 awards and is granted only if my material is selected by the jury."


    You know why there is a different treatment here? 'Cos the organiser knows the amount of shitstorm they would receive if they tried to pull a fast one. If your arguement then is that you are not a professional, well here's a second reason. The World Press Photo respects the work they receive. They also respect the photographers who take them. Take a look at their 50 years gallery, WPP is a non-profit organisation, but they may have paid or are paying royalties to the winners just to show their photo online. Why would they allow a time limit on usage when they know there is a chance they have to pay for the photo? They know the amount of money is going to be big 'cos they awarded it first prize!

    Is it the view that as non-professionals it is alright we are subjected to lower-class standards? Is the amount of pride non-professionals put into their images different from professionals? Other than title and skill, are non-professionals any less than professionals? Do non-professionals need less respect than professionals? In the big picture, are we not all promoting photography?

  16. #76
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    2,522

    Default Re: Unique2Me National Photo Contest

    Quote Originally Posted by clicknick
    You mean I must remain a poor unknow artist until my death, then someone uncover my pics from my HDD and suddenly I am famous (but still dead) and my pics sells for millions a piece? Just kidding, ha ha.

    for your integrity
    clicknick this isn't directed at you but at the paradigm.

    Either way you'll still be dead 'cos you'll be selling your work to the first person who offers a song and nobody ever bothered to find out who you were because you never bothered to put a price on your works.

  17. #77
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,095

    Default Re: Unique2Me National Photo Contest

    Quote Originally Posted by vince123123
    WIth people here saying "whats the big deal" and "you like u submit u dont like dont submit", the organisers are free to put the terms as they like
    What's wrong with that? Would you rather have the government prescribe terms&conditions, and in turn make it obligatory for amateur photographers to submit their photos? Freedom works for both parties ...

  18. #78
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: Unique2Me National Photo Contest

    I think you have TOTALLY missed the point.

    Quote Originally Posted by LittleWolf
    What's wrong with that? Would you rather have the government prescribe terms&conditions, and in turn make it obligatory for amateur photographers to submit their photos? Freedom works for both parties ...

  19. #79
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SGee
    Posts
    1,572

    Default Re: Unique2Me National Photo Contest

    Quote Originally Posted by vince123123
    I think you have TOTALLY missed the point.
    nvm Vince123123, let each hav their form views. i m glad 2 kno there r ppl here willing 2 share differing views. such debate does hav a positive effect on those who make their own choice 2 participate or not at their own discretion.


  20. #80
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SGee
    Posts
    1,572

    Default Re: Unique2Me National Photo Contest

    IMO, i would not 1 2 contribute 2 any photo competition tt is unfair / bias / exploitative.

    cos it would imply or equate tt i endorse / tolerate / support such T&Cs.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 234569 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •