Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rechargeable Battery Conditioning

Originally posted by Barrios
    Incidentally, the claim on the Rayovac deficiency was not made my Maha. Just because I sell Maha doesn't necessarily mean that I have to say bad things about other chargers. I'm only quoting what is written from reviews. Oh, are they really cheaper than Maha? How much are they costing? What do they incorporate in the package?
    Yep I know, its from the imaging-resource review. All these information and feedback are readily available on the web anyway as well as user experiences. Just sharing what we know here.

Originally posted by Zerstorer

That may indeed be so.

However wouldn't the following be a case of judging by the maximum charged voltage as well?

Pls compare apple with apple and orange with orange. High drain with high drain and low drain with low drain.

A rechargeable battery, be it 1600 mAh or 2000 mAh, will only show a max voltage of about 1.4V.
    Last edited by Barrios; 30th October 2002 at 11:30 AM.

Incidentally, the claim on the Rayovac deficiency was not made my Maha. Just because I sell Maha doesn't necessarily mean that I have to say bad things about other chargers. I'm only quoting what is written from reviews. Oh, are they really cheaper than Maha? How much are they costing? What do they incorporate in the package?
    Well the Rayovac was being sold at $49.90($60 when bundled with 4xSanyo150) at www.w3cube.com before it went out of stock.

For the RipVan Lightning 4000 look here:
    http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthrea...threadid=16065

Seems to be a very useful travel charger as it is compact and is multivoltage compatible.

Pls compare apple with apple and orange with orange. High drain with high drain and low drain with low drain.
    Hmm, what would you classify snapper's experience with his GPS be then? High drain or low drain?

Originally posted by Zerstorer

Well the Rayovac was being sold at $49.90($60 when bundled with 4xSanyo150) at www.w3cube.com before it went out of stock.

For the RipVan Lightning 4000 look here:
    http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthrea...threadid=16065

Seems to be a very useful travel charger as it is compact and is multivoltage compatible.
    Very true. Only when u have a distributor here. Try mail order with the same package and do a comparison. Check out the package again if you would. Obviously, one would say who needs all those extras in a kit but those extras do cost $$.

Very true. Only when u have a distributor here. Try mail order with the same package and do a comparison. Check out the package again if you would. Obviously, one would say who needs all those extras in a kit but those extras do cost $$.
    Yes indeed. Not trying to ruin your mass orders or anything, but I'm speaking from the point of the consumer. When there are indeed alternatives available, one should always consider all that is available before making a decision. There are some who need the additional accesories and there are some who don't.

I don't want to engage in a Rayovac vs Maha debate as I'm not equipped to do so. Just wanna highlight what is being written in a particular review.

Ripvan in its website also claims that Rayovac and Maha are known for generating high temperature during charging.

The review by Steves Digicam (excerpt below) also reports in favor of the Ripvan (temp wise).. which is causing me to lean towards getting the Ripvan charger..

"The Lightning Pack 4000 is the only "less than 2 hour" charger that keeps the temperature under 90 degrees, assuring both fast as well as SAFE recharges. (Both the Maha C204F and Rayovac 1 hour chargers are up around 145 degrees; making the batteries quite hot to the touch.) These temperatures seriously degrade cell capacity, and have a significant impact on the overall number of recharge cycles. "

Btw.. me still using the 16hr Powerbank II..

Originally posted by stk
    The review by Steves Digicam (excerpt below) also reports in favor of the Ripvan (temp wise).. which is causing me to lean towards getting the Ripvan charger..

"The Lightning Pack 4000 is the only "less than 2 hour" charger that keeps the temperature under 90 degrees, assuring both fast as well as SAFE recharges. (Both the Maha C204F and Rayovac 1 hour chargers are up around 145 degrees; making the batteries quite hot to the touch.) These temperatures seriously degrade cell capacity, and have a significant impact on the overall number of recharge cycles. "

Btw.. me still using the 16hr Powerbank II..
    I suggest you read reviews from independent reviewers. For Ripvan to make such claims against Rayovac and Maha is pretty normal. Afterall, they are business rivals.

"Some chargers seriously overheat batteries, which can shorten their life. Some (fairly significant) temperature rise is normal in charging batteries, and shouldn't cause a problem. Too much will definitely lead to early exhaustion. We'd say that the C-204F is about average in this respect. The batteries do get pretty warm, but its to a level that we think is acceptable. - At least, we haven't seen any noticeable loss of capacity on any of our batteries after dozens of charge cycles in the C-204Fs we use around the studio."

Maybe they were paid to write good things about the charger....

I suggest you read reviews from independent reviewers. For Ripvan to make such claims against Rayovac and Maha is pretty normal. Afterall, they are business rivals.

Maybe they were paid to write good things about the charger....
    The review was taken from Steve's website (not Ripvan), whom I do consider to be an independent reviewer...

if you are really, really concerned about battery condition

(1) recharge batteries only after they're more or less empty (i.e. camera stops working). (once in a very long while, to be extra sure, discharge fully using a flashlight...)

(2) recharge batteries using a 5 hour intelligent charger (GP rapid or the newest Maha with the 5 hr option) rather than cooking your batteries at 60 degrees++

(3) after the intelligent charger shuts off, don't take out your batteries immediately but let the trickle charging squeeze a little more charge into them....

i've mentioned it b4, but the lightning is the only intelligent charger i know of that accepts 110-240v.

myself, i use a 5 hr GP rapid. have no need for 1 hour charging

wow... so many comments. didn't know my question could have raised so many issues.

Thank you all. Have helped me quite a bit in understanding the issue of the batts.

who cares

NiMh batt are so cheap now a days

a set for $11, use it around 1 year and if it's can't perform as good as b4 liau
    just discard it and get a new one

why 1 year ?? if you use it in extreme condition => charge everyday.. that will give you ~360 cycles
    this can only achive if you DIDNOT overcharge your batt

so..
    GET A GOOD CHARGER
    condition or not.. me boh chap

TSC
    Guests

Barrios, How can I get the Maha charger and battery???

Advertiser

Originally posted by TSC
    Barrios, How can I get the Maha charger and battery???
    You can find out how to buy Maha products here

Regards

EastGear

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12