Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Help.......which one?

  1. #1
    Senior Member melvin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    TPY
    Posts
    2,681

    Default Help.......which one?

    Hi!
    For night shoot what type of white balance is advisable / better?

    Auto white balance:


    Tungsten:



    Pls advice thanks a million in advance!

  2. #2
    Senior Member sammy888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,568

    Default Re: Help.......which one?

    Quote Originally Posted by melvin
    Hi!
    For night shoot what type of white balance is advisable / better?
    Pls advice thanks a million in advance!
    Let me ask you...

    Looking at those shots you take? Which one do you like? When you look at the post office picture ( first one on the top ) what feeling do you get from looking at the scene..and then look at the cooler tone one below?

    The "tone" tells a story and sets a mood. Right or wrong...what type of white balance you want depends on what story you want to tell.

    Personally I like the warm look. It brings out the richness of the colour lights against the building. It could have been better if you under expose it abit more though

  3. #3

    Default Re: Help.......which one?

    which one looks more closely to the original?
    I for one, prefer natural colours.

    darn, the christmas decos are out already? they sure are early...

  4. #4

    Default Re: Help.......which one?

    i prefer the auto white balance (actually u can get the same effect with shade white balance) shot because it is warmer and thus makes the building look cosier. since the shot shows the christmas decorations, i think the warmer shot looks better->cosy christmas feel.
    the one with more natural colours looks like a typical snapshot.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Help.......which one?

    The centerpoint building shots are confirmed overexposed. I would prefer the Tungsten WB.
    See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap

  6. #6
    Senior Member sammy888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,568

    Default Re: Help.......which one?

    Quote Originally Posted by maritimus831
    i prefer the auto white balance (actually u can get the same effect with shade white balance) shot because it is warmer and thus makes the building look cosier. since the shot shows the christmas decorations, i think the warmer shot looks better->cosy christmas feel.
    the one with more natural colours looks like a typical snapshot.

    Now you are thinking like a designer.....

    Picture is about mood..of what it evoke when you look at it...yes it might not be close to what you see in real life but when you show it to someone, they look at it from a mood perspective and never from a technical stand point. But yes it can go either way still. I am sure some would like it as real as possible to what their eyes see.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    2,504

    Default Re: Help.......which one?

    careful there...overexposure. it depends on what u like la. no hard and fast rules about this

  8. #8
    Senior Member melvin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    TPY
    Posts
    2,681

    Default Re: Help.......which one?

    Quote Originally Posted by sammy888
    Let me ask you...

    Looking at those shots you take? Which one do you like? When you look at the post office picture ( first one on the top ) what feeling do you get from looking at the scene..and then look at the cooler tone one below?

    The "tone" tells a story and sets a mood. Right or wrong...what type of white balance you want depends on what story you want to tell.

    Personally I like the warm look. It brings out the richness of the colour lights against the building. It could have been better if you under expose it abit more though
    Err...actually i like both as u said each individual brings out different mood depends on what mood i want to bring out. AWB gives a warm feeling...tungsten the coolness...both r also mood of chirstmas...

    Thanks for your tips! at least now i know the orangey feeling is known as warm ...

  9. #9
    Senior Member melvin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    TPY
    Posts
    2,681

    Default Re: Help.......which one?

    Quote Originally Posted by michhy
    which one looks more closely to the original?
    I for one, prefer natural colours.

    darn, the christmas decos are out already? they sure are early...
    Ya.. this year they are abit early... if i remember correctly the lighting will strech to marina ... another new route for routemarch

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    beebox
    Posts
    2,078

    Default Re: Help.......which one?

    i tot white balance can be tuned in photoshop?

  11. #11
    Senior Member melvin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    TPY
    Posts
    2,681

    Default Re: Help.......which one?

    Quote Originally Posted by megaweb
    The centerpoint building shots are confirmed overexposed. I would prefer the Tungsten WB.
    Hee...din upload the proper one. Will this shot be a beta one?



    Thanks!

  12. #12

    Default Re: Help.......which one?

    Prefer tungsten for the centrepoint. The bottom third is too warm for my taste, and takes away the cool-blue design effect of the top 2 thirds of xmas deco. If highlights were not overblown, I believe the effect would be even better.

  13. #13
    Senior Member melvin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    TPY
    Posts
    2,681

    Default Re: Help.......which one?

    Quote Originally Posted by Isaiahfortythirtyone
    careful there...overexposure. it depends on what u like la. no hard and fast rules about this
    Thanks! Other than exposure anything else i can improve on?

  14. #14
    Senior Member melvin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    TPY
    Posts
    2,681

    Default Re: Help.......which one?

    Hi! shinken,

    Will the pict just above ur thread be a beta one? is it a little under expose?

  15. #15

    Default Re: Help.......which one?

    I think it's quite well exposed. If I comment any further on exposure I would be nitpicking. It's already quite good as it is. That was the effect I was hoping for (as I posted my comment just before you posted the "new" pic)

  16. #16
    Senior Member melvin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    TPY
    Posts
    2,681

    Default Re: Help.......which one?

    Quote Originally Posted by shinken
    I think it's quite well exposed. If I comment any further on exposure I would be nitpicking. It's already quite good as it is. That was the effect I was hoping for (as I posted my comment just before you posted the "new" pic)
    Thanks! shinken for your encouragement!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •