View Poll Results: If you see someone on a street u like to photoshoot, will u approach him/her?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • I will approach him/her to take a picture

13 22.81%
  • I will even ask him/her to be my model

4 7.02%
  • No, I will not.

27 47.37%
  • Yes I will approach and I have tried this before.

13 22.81%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: If you see someone on a street u like to photoshoot, will u approach him/her?

Default Re: If you see someone on a street u like to photoshoot, will u approach him/her?

ok lah guys .... he is only 18 years old.... maybe he is shy and do not dare to ask.

Let him off.......

Blog Entries

Default Re: If you see someone on a street u like to photoshoot, will u approach him/her?

Quote Originally Posted by dragos
    use a tele...
    heh heh only the ballsless use teles ..... joking only har!

Quote Originally Posted by ed9119
    heh heh only the ballsless use teles ..... joking only har!
    hahah I must check inside my pant now hahaha....

for me, I like to use tele to capture the most natural expression of the people.

Hmm! I once saw this late 20's, early 30's ang moh at Cafe Cartel in town... Fwah... Can tell u he is the most gorgeous looking hunk I've ever seen in real life!!! Very chiselled looks, solid looking eyes, nice height, (not too tall), solid body (well-toned but not too bulky like bodybuilders').... Really can't find any fault! Seriously given a choice then to shoot him or the "typical" female models we see posted here, I'd choose him!

Too bad no cam then but even if I had, really dunno how to approach him!

Btw, I'm male..But ermmm, no, I'm not gay.

I will not ask because I prefer candid shots rather than posed ones.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi2
    Hmm! I once saw this late 20's, early 30's ang moh at Cafe Cartel in town... Fwah... Can tell u he is the most gorgeous looking hunk I've ever seen in real life!!! Very chiselled looks, solid looking eyes, nice height, (not too tall), solid body (well-toned but not too bulky like bodybuilders').... Really can't find any fault! Seriously given a choice then to shoot him or the "typical" female models we see posted here, I'd choose him!

Too bad no cam then but even if I had, really dunno how to approach him!

Btw, I'm male..But ermmm, no, I'm not gay.
    u're 1/2 way there.... really close....
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Now I remember why I dun like to take "people" shots.

Unless it is wedding photo, paid wedding photos lah. Got licence to shoot.

Then I will stalk the subject like my fav reddie sunbirds in SBG.

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Yeo
    I want to try
    PRO, bring me along, I help you carry your D2X

There are 3 kinds of people from the streets that I photograph

1 The types when the emphasis is not really on the person/persons, say like a person working on a rooftop with interesting lights. For these types I do not ask persmission. The "decisive moment" will be lost if I do otherwise.

2 The types where I clearly show the person. Like fellow travellers, the monks in Tibets, etc. For these I always ask permission. Take a few shots ("wasted") then let them relax and then take again - the more "candid ones".

3 The types which I want to do some formal portraits in a "studio". I approach these people, identify myself, tell them what I want to do, and gave them my contact number if they are interested. Always, the people would feel wonderful that I want to take their photographs, even if they were not interested to be photographed.

For 2 & 3, clearly some "guts" are required. I know that many say that they want to take "candid shots". My feeling is that that is really an excuse. My feeling is that the real reason is that the photographer has no guts to ask permission. Likewise, I do not ever use teles to "steal" photos. I consider that voyeurism.

For #2, I get to photograph them 95% of the time. For#3, I fail 95% of the time!
    Last edited by student; 17th November 2005 at 07:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by vincenthau
    ok lah guys .... he is only 18 years old.... maybe he is shy and do not dare to ask.

Let him off.......
    =,=!! maybe i was never into portrait photography or model taking. anyway. for me. its a big no to approach strangers, unless on job duty.

oh wells...
    Last edited by glennyong; 15th November 2005 at 04:41 PM.

In the most recent PhotoVideoi magazine, there is an article about portrait-shooting. The author mentioned 'To be a successful portrait photographer, you have to be a people person as portrait photography is all about human inter-relationship skills'.

So do you guys agree? Or you are of the opinion that good pictures can emerge even without any interaction.

Quote Originally Posted by glennyong
    two. if i am a photographer. i will never in my life do it. because its really degrading to do so. and it will prolly bring the image of the other photographers down in the industry.

and in my own opinion. who are we to approach people and ask them whether they want to be our models. one question. WHO ARE WE ? Photographers ? in what why ? we arent pro. we don't own a studio, we don't have a team of stylist, blah blah blah.

i am not blasting. but heys. i think its a really bad idea to do so.

maybe i am conservative...
    It will only bring down the image of photographers only if your approach is not polished.

Its not degrading, if you want a shot. A smile, or a hi is sometimes all that it takes. Of course, you gotta size up your subject first. Just be sociable and go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zplus
    It will only bring down the image of photographers only if your approach is not polished.

Its not degrading, if you want a shot. A smile, or a hi is sometimes all that it takes. Of course, you gotta size up your subject first. Just be sociable and go for it.
    does it mean we still got 2 somehow practice- like photography. practice till polished, so all newbie got excuse "sorry i not polish?".

i guess a positive eye contact followed by a sincere smile will do jus fine.

its good to have a name card on hand ya hahaha...

one. if i belong to a talentsearch company. i will do it since its my job.

two. if i am a photographer. i will never in my life do it. because its really degrading to do so. and it will prolly bring the image of the other photographers down in the industry.

and in my own opinion. who are we to approach people and ask them whether they want to be our models. one question. WHO ARE WE ? Photographers ? in what why ? we arent pro. we don't own a studio, we don't have a team of stylist, blah blah blah.

You are not conservatiove. Conservatism has nothing to do with it.

Degrading? How can it be degrading to ask someone to model for you? How can it bring down the image of phoitographers?

What I think is, you are just timid, shy, and don't have the guts to take the next step. You don't know these people, so what is the down side if they say no? You disappear and they disappear, and the two will probably never run into each other again.

Your attitude is nothing wrong, but will not get you anywhere, at least will not get you that model you see on the street.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

one. if i belong to a talentsearch company. i will do it since its my job.

I am with Deadpoet here.

You are of course entitled to you point of view. But it is interesting to note that by your own admission, you are not into portrait photography, and yet you want to be so dogmatic to insist that "its a really bad idea to do so".

Let me tell you a little what this is all about. Hopefully you will be a little more enlightened after this.

When you approach someone on the streets and say to him/her, "You have a wonderful face, and I hope you will allow me to photograph you", you are actually making a compliment to that person. NEVER have I once get a response "Get lost!" Most of the time, the person will be pleasantly surprised and say "thank you!". You call that degrading? you call making a person happy degrading?

Does it matter "Who are we?". Perhaps it matters to you, because you do not know how to interact with people, and therefore do not know how to photograph people.
    Does it matter whether I am a professional or not?
    Does it matter whether I own a studio or not?
    Does it matter whether I have a team of stylists or not?
    Blah, blah, blah.....

When I propose to someone to photograph him/her, my aim is to photograph him/her.

I may not a pro, but I know people, and I can take images of them.

I have the best studio in the world with the best set ups and lighting system - it is called sunlight and available environment. The failure of your ability to use the sun and whatever is available is just that. Your failure.

And because I was attracted to the person when I first saw him/her, that was the image I want. And I do not want a team of stylist etc etc to mess her/him up.

Until you learn to be comfortable with, and be able to communicate with people, (and mind you that 98% of people are wonderful), you will not be able to take pictures of people.

You will stick to subjects like the birds and the tigers in the zoo, the insects, the rocks, the trees, etc.

Well maybe you might join the hordes to see free fashion shows and "shoot" models on runways with long teles. You will not need to ask permission from these "models".
    Last edited by student; 16th November 2005 at 07:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ed9119
    i believe subjects are just as human as ourselves...... there is nothing wrong in asking..... most people take it as a compliment

anyway what is the worst thing that can happen? they just say 'No'.... nobody's going to bite your head off..... its all part of socializing

i dont normally ask but sometimes I do (actually not ask but just chat them up) My biggest fear?........ is that if i dont ask or at least try.... I will never know what the reply will be....... that is my fear.......

I really Liked a girl once in school many years ago when i was single (yah super crush) ....... to this day I regret still...... because i did not have the balls then to just ask her for her name and say a simple 'Hi' ........so NEVER AGAIN (never again will I miss a photo op because I feel shy or scared about chatting someone up) !!!

Those "what-if's" ('What if I had just.....' 'What if I had only.....') will haunt u for the rest of your life

Its easy to shoot beggars, farmers, hawkers, villagers etc etc in 3rd world countries. Its another thing altogether to shoot our contemporaries in 1st world countries

But then, shooting people is but one type of photography..... many other types of photography involves little or no human interaction and/or human subjects

best of luck!

ed
    Hi could you clarify what is "easy" about shooting beggars farmer hawkers villagers etc etc? Are you implying that they are more easy-going and receptive towards having their photo taken or that you don't need to ask them permission at all like we do our contemporaries in 1st world countries?

Done that many times....as a videographer doing street interviews lah!

Quote Originally Posted by vincenthau
    hahah I must check inside my pant now hahaha....
    for me, I like to use tele to capture the most natural expression of the people.
    just make sure the photos dont end up in unappropriate websites or your "private" collections!

Once I wanted to approach a wedding photog to say hi, guess what?
    He gave me that don't even think about it look and walk off. ?
    Talk about "tau" photog.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast