Thread: A short user review of the new Batis 18mm F2.8 E

For many years, Carl Zeiss is world-famous for producing top quality lenses, especially the manual focus lens. In recent years, Zeiss has gone to great lengths to improve on their manufacturing skills in electronic and digital technology, and has been producing many new lens that have received very good feedback on their quality. One stellar example was in 2015, when Zeiss introduced the Batis 25mm f2 and the Batis 85mm f1.8. These lens are now highly sought after by many professional photographers as well as hobbyists worldwide. Last month I was invited to attend the opening of the Mandiri JOG/ART/9 event and also SAPIENS FREE by the OHD Museum group in Jogjakarta, Indonesia. I was also invited to visit all the other 4 private museums by their owner, Dr OHD, who is among the biggest private collector of Indonesian arts by the Indonesia Grandmaster artists, in the world. Zeiss usually gives a different brand name for each different camera producer. For the Sony E-mount (35mm format), the branding is “Loxia” for the manual focus lens and “Batis” for the autofocus full frame lens. Since the beginning of 2016, Zeiss has announced the launch of the Batis 18mm F2.8, and now it has a very long waiting list of buyers waiting to get hold of this lens. Last month I was invited to attend the opening of the Mandiri JOG/ART/9 event and also SAPIENS FREE by the OHD Museum group in Jogjakarta, Indonesia. I was also invited to visit all the other 4 private museums by their owner, Dr OHD, who is among the biggest private collector of Indonesian arts by the Indonesia Grandmaster artists, in the world. Through sheer luck, Mr Denis Lim, the senior sales manager of Shriro Singapore Pte Ltd managed to get hold of a unit of the Batis 18mm F2.8 for me to use. I then conducted a user preview of this wonderful lens during my short trip to Jogjakarta. Personally I would classify super wide-lens as those wider than 21mm, and are usually reserved for landscape, astro and architectural photography. My personal collection consists of the M21mm Elmarit for my M9, EF16-35mm F4 for my A7R, and the M.zuiko 7-14mm F2.8 for my Olympus OMD10Mk2. My favourite is the M21mm but on many occasions it was always not wide enough for my subjects and my shooting style. The M.zuiko is very good and reliable but the OMD10 is not my serious camera. I have been waiting for a good super wide lens to use it on my A7R and I think this Batis 18mm is the best I can find in the market after using it for only a few days. My shooting style is mostly wide and I find that the 18mm is perfect for me when I need to bring only 1+1 lens. The very large field angle of this super wide-angle lens is perfect for creative shots with unusual perspectives too. Briefly, the specifications of the Batis 18mm fullframe autofocus E-mount lens are: · Aperture range: f2.8 to f22 · Focusing range: 25cm (about 9.8”) - infinity · Filter diameter: 77mm · Field of view: 99° (diagonally) · Number of Aperture blades: 9 (rounded) · Elements/Groups: 11/10 · Weather sealing · OLED screen display · Weight: 330gsm The first thing you will notice when you see the lens is its size…..BIG and intimidating, and when you first hold it, you will be surprised with the weight........it’s LIGHT. Though you can feel that the whole lens body is made mostly with plastic materials, you can also feel that it is well made, and the design flow is smooth and modern.
    Last edited by Canonised; 13th June 2016 at 08:08 PM.
    always the Light, .... always.

Default Re: A short user review of the new Batis 18mm F2.8 E

This lens is the most user-friendly lens I have ever used. The autofocusing is smooth, fast and very quiet. The build is air-tight and as such, it will be protected against dust and water spray, and should be most suited for critical outdoor conditions in most places.

The images from this lens will amaze you with its sharpness and its quality result, offering almost perfect and little distortion in image quality, due probably to the reliable autofocusing system and lens design/construction.

For creative photography, the innovative OLED display shows the distance and depth of field to ensure that the focusing range can always be perfectly set. The autofocusing of the lens is so comfortable that I did not even look into this during the few days of using this lens.

I will attach some images (hobbyist’s quality) I took using this lens with my Sony A7R. Actually I have been waiting for such a quality lens for a long while. From my experience, images taken wider than 18mm will usually have some distortions. However, I find that the image distortion for this 18mm is fairly well controlled and unnoticed.

The R.R.P. Singapore is about $2,099. If you love super wide on a full frame, you will love it. I assure you.

Great review .
    Even better test shots !

ordered liao .
    Waiting for it to come .

Thank you for your kind words. I am still learning how to shoot properly and so my reviews will be very non-pro and fundamental.

I am learning to write proper and interesting reviews so that I can share with readers my experiences with gears with the community, and at the same time we need to keep the "Clubsnap" spirits alive.