Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Joss

Default Joss

Something that I took on a boring Sunday afternoon while lazing at home, recovering from last night's clubbing.

Comments?
    Last edited by lil_princess; 13th November 2005 at 06:40 PM.
    Have you read IT???

Blog Entries

Default Re: Joss

i think you need to link the picture again

hi lil p....

interesting subject and a good choice to present this pic in colour against a clean background. focus looks a bit soft though, not sure if that was intentional? i like the simplicity of form and and colours here, but i feel the viewer's gaze is led out of the right hand side of the pic, due to the right-handed tapering alignment of the joss sticks. i would also like to explore other arrangements of the joss sticks, in which the (red) ends of the joss sticks are concentrated at say the upper third of the pic, to get a different feel to the image.

Quote Originally Posted by ortega
    i think you need to link the picture again
    sorry bout it. pic's up already.
    Have you read IT???

maybe u can bundle up the joss sticks and frame a shot going thru the hollow instead...? just my 2 cents...

Quote Originally Posted by zaren
    hi lil p....

interesting subject and a good choice to present this pic in colour against a clean background. focus looks a bit soft though, not sure if that was intentional? i like the simplicity of form and and colours here, but i feel the viewer's gaze is led out of the right hand side of the pic, due to the right-handed tapering alignment of the joss sticks. i would also like to explore other arrangements of the joss sticks, in which the (red) ends of the joss sticks are concentrated at say the upper third of the pic, to get a different feel to the image.

Thanks Zaren!

I used white pieces of papers as the background.
    You mentioned about concentrating at the upper third of the picture... what do you mean?

But thanks for the comments and suggestion!
    Have you read IT???

Quote Originally Posted by esmondng
    maybe u can bundle up the joss sticks and frame a shot going thru the hollow instead...? just my 2 cents...
    Hmmm, you mean like taking from the angle from the ends of the josssticks?
    Have you read IT???

I believe zaren means, to have the joss sticks radiate out from the upper thirds instead of from the centre.

personally, the composition can be improved by utilising shadows by moving the light off to the side instead and with a more engaging bg colour eg yellow/green/cyan, white is really bland. I recc moving back the framing just a little more to better complete the illusion of the red ends 'coming together'.

Blog Entries

wow! the picture is OOF
    could be due to camera shake

Quote Originally Posted by foxtwo
    I believe zaren means, to have the joss sticks radiate out from the upper thirds instead of from the centre.

personally, the composition can be improved by utilising shadows by moving the light off to the side instead and with a more engaging bg colour eg yellow/green/cyan, white is really bland. I recc moving back the framing just a little more to better complete the illusion of the red ends 'coming together'.
    how to move the light to the side when I using my living room lights?
    I thought white was good cos i wanted to focus more on the sticks' colours. but probably i should try a different bg colour as you suggested.
    Have you read IT???

Quote Originally Posted by ortega
    wow! the picture is OOF
    could be due to camera shake
    Hmmm, I guess there was... Afterall there wasnt any flash being used, and I was in a very weird position trying to take my subject thats placed on the floor.
    Have you read IT???

Quote Originally Posted by lil_princess
    Hmmm, you mean like taking from the angle from the ends of the josssticks?
    yups.....keke i guess it'll give it more "lines" instead than just placing them "flat".

Thanks Zaren!

I used white pieces of papers as the background.
    You mentioned about concentrating at the upper third of the picture... what do you mean?

But thanks for the comments and suggestion!
    lil p..... one alternative arrangement is to arrange the joss sticks so that they appear to be vanishing into a distant point on the horizon, and place this vanishing point at say 1/3 from the top of the image. you could also try arranging the joss sticks in other ways...getting the best angles and framing often entail a fair bit of trial and error.
    Last edited by zaren; 14th November 2005 at 10:03 PM.

how to move the light to the side when I using my living room lights?
    I thought white was good cos i wanted to focus more on the sticks' colours. but probably i should try a different bg colour as you suggested.
    can use a portable light source....e.g. a reading light placed on one side of the joss sticks, or use the warm sunlight in the late afternoon streaming in from your window.
    Last edited by zaren; 14th November 2005 at 09:58 PM.

Hmmm, I guess there was... Afterall there wasnt any flash being used, and I was in a very weird position trying to take my subject thats placed on the floor.
    very weird position? would have loved to photograph that as a candid shot!

can use a portable light source....e.g. a reading light placed on one side of the joss sticks, or use the warm sunlight in the late afternoon streaming in from your window.
    No portable light at home mannz Want sponsor not? hehehe... j/k only.

This was taken at one end of my living room, the other end has a window lah, but its blocked by plants. Mum would kill me if I would move them! It was quite enough that I used her joss sticks already.
    Have you read IT???

very weird position? would have loved to photograph that as a candid shot!
    You should have see how squashed I was, in a limited space. Cos I stupidly placed the sticks quite near the wall, so I was trying hard to be in a position away from the wall.

But thanks Zaren, for all your suggestions. *hugs*
    Have you read IT???

No portable light at home mannz Want sponsor not? hehehe... j/k only.

This was taken at one end of my living room, the other end has a window lah, but its blocked by plants. Mum would kill me if I would move them! It was quite enough that I used her joss sticks already.
    better not upset ur mom....otherwise she won't lend you other "props" for your next abstract photo shoot!

You should have see how squashed I was, in a limited space. Cos I stupidly placed the sticks quite near the wall, so I was trying hard to be in a position away from the wall.

But thanks Zaren, for all your suggestions. *hugs*
    nvm....it's good training, makes you more pliable either for posing or for taking photos from unusual angles....

ur welcome lil p...got to warn you though, suggestions may be quite crappy at times! *hugs*

No props to use, use you as prop ok ok??? Heee....

I always like getting feedbacks.. and im glad that i always get them from you. :P
    Have you read IT???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast