Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: [Discussion] Photography service wanted to cover Baby shower event

Default Re: Photography service wanted to cover Baby shower event

Quote Originally Posted by Berkins View Post
    even just the setting of minimum base fee?
    I believe so. You can set minimum for yourself, your own company/business, etc. The moment you agree with others, that's considered collusion.

Quote Originally Posted by kandinsky View Post
    I believe so. You can set minimum for yourself, your own company/business, etc. The moment you agree with others, that's considered collusion.
    ok. Hopefully can have a workable solution. Sometimes I also pity the genuinely ignorant folks who requests for low prices and publish personal details online, but end up getting ridiculed.

Default Re: [Discussion] Photography service wanted to cover Baby shower event

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    Will move the discussion out of this thread when I with my desktop computer.
    Done!

How about setting up a poll of the minimum prices charged by CS members for various types of services?

There may be some outliers but as long as we get enough big data, the numbers will still make some sense

Quote Originally Posted by kandinsky View Post

Done!
    Thanks. :-)
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

to be honest guys...

It is better to educate more photog about the true cost of running a successful business of photography then trying to fight the market. It is then up to them to decide what they want to do.

No one can stop anyone who want to pay nothing and no one can stop people to take that up.

We can't save the world but helping a group of photog at a time is a good start.

regards,

Hart

Quote Originally Posted by Agetan View Post
    to be honest guys...

It is better to educate more photog about the true cost of running a successful business of photography then trying to fight the market. It is then up to them to decide what they want to do.

No one can stop anyone who want to pay nothing and no one can stop people to take that up.

We can't save the world but helping a group of photog at a time is a good start.

regards,

Hart
    Fully agree on the above.
    I believe there are many facets to the problem. On one hand there are hard working, good photog who are trying to earn a decent living using their skills. On the other hand there are upcoming novices trying to get into the market to gain experience. Yes, the fees they charge are unsustainable as a business but they think that if they do not come in low, they will never have a chance to gain experience. Some may even think it is honest to charge a low fee because of their inexperience.

Then there are clients who really do not have an idea of what the normal market range is. I suspect that many will be surprised when they see a professional contract for the first time. To many retail clients (those with one-off requests) they probably think the photog is a servant and the camera is a tool like a broom and dustpan. What so hard to aim and press the shutter?

Is there a neat solution? Sadly, I don't think so. even if we have a professional organisation to certify and accredit photographers, there will be lots of 'uber' and 'grab' photographers out there who will underbid for a variety or reasons. For the clients, they will just have to learn the hard way that quality comes with a price. Some will always be willing to pay more for their wedding cake which last for the day then for the photographs that will last a few lifetimes.

I do agree there are people who will try to take advantage of the situation by requesting for service at ridiculously low price. We should try to 'educate' these people by telling them that what they ask for is commercially and/or technically unreasonable. The smarter photographers here will read it know to give it a miss. The less smart and those who are terribly hungry will jump in and hopefully learn their lesson.

By the way the link here is to the CCS website that states it position on Price Recommendations:
    https://www.ccs.gov.sg/tools-and-res...ecommendations

Quote Originally Posted by red eye View Post
    so many requirements and you only paying $100 - $150

$100 - $150 per hour is the correct range!

you got your own gear, you want to save money ask your relative to shoot... save you the $100 - $150 already

just think about WHY ARE YOU HIRING A PROFESSIONAL PHOTOGRAPHER IN THE FIRST PLACE

I am not sure what made you to think that way. i did not ask for any PRO here. you can check my post once again before you comment any nonsense.

If you are not willing, just move on , nobody forcing you.
    you dont need to give me any FREE advice on what i should do.

Quote Originally Posted by ellery View Post
    Brother I suggest there is not need to spend any money take the $100 buy another trigger so you can remotely fire the camera - that way you can do it yourself for the family part. shoot wider and crop in post. See how you can save money and tell your friends and family you number one photographer.
    though it was nonsense , thanks for your FREE advice. But i would like to remind you that , my post on service wanted is to "get Service" not to get any kind of advice.

Quote Originally Posted by divinemoment View Post
    What you mean by professional DSLR or mirrorless? Seems like a lousy photographer will do as long as he carries a camera that looks big and scary!

You stated requirement for all the wrong reasons. You even trying to entice the responder to use your gear thinking a gear will produce good result without having the slightest thought one may need sometime to learn abt your equip. I shouldn't be telling you and let the responder fumble with it and eat into your time. You thinking by lending your gear can cut another $50?

I really feel like not commenting but can't help it. Too many cheapo trying their luck.

i donno who you are to judge what requirement someone has to give , I came for Club Snap "Service wanted S" section asking service.not Advice.

I was really surprised to see my Service wanted thread was made as big discussion here, i am Ok as far as its healthy discussion.

I read and followed all the guidance of 'Service Wanted " section. there is no minimum Pay per hour advised, not the law of the land too if you have problem with minimum wages/pay/fee/charge, go and deal with someone else and not with me.I am just a service requester. If someone is interested they will approach me, if you are not just move on.

i got mail and message from around 22 gentlemen's (very thankful to them) and i agreed with someone who suited me based on negotiation. This is how market works.its based on supply and demand/ Will and Wish / level of service wanted and level of expectation met . here few advised me a lot on what i need to do and how to, its non of anyone business unless asked.

From S$25.00 - $250.00 per hour, the range of "acceptable" rates is huge for photographers. S$25.00 per hour might sound ridiculous, but hey, those old guys shooting actual day for bridal shops still do it at that rate.

It really depends on business model, clientele type, assignment type, intended use/media and numerous other factors. So long you are sustaining and growing your business, rates are highly subjective and definitely not an indicator of success in this volatile trade.

Ironically and unfortunately, what Ponraj Krish said wasn't wrong. Service wanted section did not dictate the minimum price for any service. So I guess we got to move on, there will always be others who love to exploit. However I choose to believe there are some good clients out there will appreciate photography and pay us according and correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by fooj View Post
    Ironically and unfortunately, what Ponraj Krish said wasn't wrong. Service wanted section did not dictate the minimum price for any service. So I guess we got to move on, there will always be others who love to exploit. However I choose to believe there are some good clients out there will appreciate photography and pay us according and correctly.
    Some love to exploit and some love to be exploited. After numerous threads sharing and teaching newbies and amateurs the real cost of running a photography business, many still chose to be exploited. There is a chinese saying " a piece of rotten wood cannot be carved "

Ponraj Krish, why are you so uptight? Nobody is insulting you. People are just describing what you did and discussing it for the good of the community and industry.

I think the rates you offer is not bad for a hobby shooter or a student. Of course no pro or career photographer would be interested and I am sure you know that too, which is perhaps why you have your concerns and listed out your expectations and requirements.

IMHO however, the main issues some people brought up here is exactly those expectations and requirement, ie demand for RAW files, equipment, post processing, etc. These are precisely why hiring photography is expensive, due to time spent, competency of skills and cost of equipment, in addition to the act of shooting that 3 hours for you.

Just like you have the right to post such hiring threads, members here have the right to discuss it also. Its just cause and effects, so chill out.
    WTB Manfrotto RC4 L Bracket

Thumbs down Re: [Discussion] Photography service wanted to cover Baby shower event

Haaa, what a big fat joke. Mr Ponraj Krish, expecting good post-processing skill alone is already 10x your miserable budget.
    RAW files too? Add-on another 10x (your miserable budget) again.

As always, cheapos will forever be cheapos. Sames goes to cheapos/freebos cameraman (you are not fit to be called a photographer).
    Want to do cheap or even provide free services? Go to your friends or relatives (which I believe will be more than happy) BUT NOT publicizing your pathetic cheap rates everywhere.

It's an insult to your camera.
    Inferiority Complex Behavior Signature: A900.D3x.M9..I have this and that blah blah...

Quote Originally Posted by wakaowalao View Post
    Haaa, what a big fat joke. Mr Ponraj Krish, expecting good post-processing skill alone is already 10x your miserable budget.
    RAW files too? Add-on another 10x (your miserable budget) again.

As always, cheapos will forever be cheapos. Sames goes to cheapos/freebos cameraman (you are not fit to be called a photographer).
    Want to do cheap or even provide free services? Go to your friends or relatives (which I believe will be more than happy) BUT NOT publicizing your pathetic cheap rates everywhere.

It's an insult to your camera.
    Applauses !!!! The real photographer won't even be bothered by this type of cheapos customers and image takers, They are in a league of their own, shooting good work and being paid decently for their craft.

Quote Originally Posted by Ponraj Krish View Post
    I was really surprised to see my Service wanted thread was made as big discussion here, i am Ok as far as its healthy discussion. I read and followed all the guidance of 'Service Wanted " section. there is no minimum Pay per hour advised, not the law of the land too if you have problem with minimum wages/pay/fee/charge, go and deal with someone else and not with me.I am just a service requester. If someone is interested they will approach me, if you are not just move on. i got mail and message from around 22 gentlemen's (very thankful to them) and i agreed with someone who suited me based on negotiation. This is how market works.its based on supply and demand/ Will and Wish / level of service wanted and level of expectation met . here few advised me a lot on what i need to do and how to, its non of anyone business unless asked.

I agree. It is willing buyer and willing seller, as long as both parties agree, then it is none of other people's business. Talking about being cheapo, many professional photographers are also selling their work as royalty free at as low as 20 cents a piece, so who is cheaper?

Some people jump when they see a low quote, accusing others of undercutting. If you have lots of jobs at good rates, and you can produce work that others can't, nobody can undercut you. Why do you worry? Teaching others not to be exploited? A real life lesson is more effective than words.

Just my 2 cents.
    Come visit my blog

Quote Originally Posted by barracuda View Post
    I agree. It is willing buyer and willing seller, as long as both parties agree, then it is none of other people's business. Talking about being cheapo, many professional photographers are also selling their work as royalty free at as low as 20 cents a piece, so who is cheaper?

Some people jump when they see a low quote, accusing others of undercutting. If you have lots of jobs at good rates, and you can produce work that others can't, nobody can undercut you. Why do you worry? Teaching others not to be exploited? A real life lesson is more effective than words.

Just my 2 cents.
    I sell my photos as loyalty stock photos, the royalty as low as US$0.34 per download, that is about S$0.50.

although it seem to be very low, but most people not aware, the same photo can be sold for many many many times, and one photo can make more than what TS is offering.
    Last edited by catchlights; 18th June 2016 at 09:12 AM.

how you want to sell your art is entirely up to you, you call yourself an artist, you name your price, and find someone appreciate your works.
    this is something you can control.

how others want to price their works, that is noting you can control. My advise, don't waste your time and energy on this issue.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast