Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26

Thread: How do u keep your lens & cam dust free???

  1. #1

    Default How do u keep your lens & cam dust free???

    to my horror i find some dust particles on my macro lens, and the dark shadows they cast actually show up in my pics. i had to PS those dust spots away. just wondering how do you guys keep your lens & cam dust free?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    lulu island
    Posts
    6,131

    Default Re: How do u keep your lens & cam dust free???

    impossible, you can only reduce the possibility.

  3. #3
    Senior Member sammy888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,568

    Default Re: How do u keep your lens & cam dust free???

    Quote Originally Posted by 1911
    to my horror i find some dust particles on my macro lens, and the dark shadows they cast actually show up in my pics. i had to PS those dust spots away. just wondering how do you guys keep your lens & cam dust free?

    Welcome to the wonderful world of digital photography heheh.Like Drudkh say, It is impossible.

    There will always be ways for the dust to get not just into lens but into your camera body as well. Like your lens, epsecially those long zooms. Zooming in and out causes the lens to expand out, this can not happen with out air being able to enter the spaces between lens tube overlapping layers/compartment right? Without air getting in, the vacuum or suction will not make it possible to extend it's length say from 70mm to 300mm. So when that happens, dust get sucked in too. It use to be worst with the older generation lens that you have to push and pull the lens to zoom. And since it can get into the lens, it also mean it is possible to get to your camera body too and thus settle on the surface of the CMOS or CCD sensor. Another obvious way would be when you change lens. So you see...it is not possible to keep dust out. You can only try your best to prevent as little of it from getting in and to clean your gear regularly.
    Last edited by sammy888; 12th November 2005 at 01:39 PM.

  4. #4
    Senior Member +evenstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Singapore / United Kingdom
    Posts
    5,655

    Default Re: How do u keep your lens & cam dust free???

    Sell your SLR and buy a PnS...or best of all, buy one body for every lens, don't ever remove the lens and don't use your camera.
    ...
    ...



    Jokes aside...make sure you change your lens in a place with minimal dust, change the lens quickly when there is no wind blowing and with your body facing downwards. Give your sensor and mirror a "blowjob" with your blower before every shoot with the camera facing downwards.

    Dust is everywhere, there's no way to avoid it unless you're shooting in a semiconductor plant...
    eat. drink. shoot

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Toa Payoh Nth
    Posts
    146

    Default Re: How do u keep your lens & cam dust free???

    Quote Originally Posted by 1911
    to my horror i find some dust particles on my macro lens, and the dark shadows they cast actually show up in my pics. i had to PS those dust spots away. just wondering how do you guys keep your lens & cam dust free?
    While trying get rid of some dust on my cam viewfinder with the blower but end up more dust caught inside. Is it worth to send for servicing? Any advise.

  6. #6

    Default Re: How do u keep your lens & cam dust free???

    Quote Originally Posted by sammy888
    Welcome to the wonderful world of digital photography heheh.Like Drudkh say, It is impossible.
    It's possible.... keep your equipments in clean room.... never bring them out.

    Bring your subjects to clean room and do your entire shooting in clean room.

    Remember to wear those clean room suits.. else the clean room will also be containminated.
    Last edited by CYRN; 14th November 2005 at 09:53 PM.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

  7. #7
    Senior Member +evenstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Singapore / United Kingdom
    Posts
    5,655

    Default Re: How do u keep your lens & cam dust free???

    Quote Originally Posted by thheng71
    While trying get rid of some dust on my cam viewfinder with the blower but end up more dust caught inside. Is it worth to send for servicing? Any advise.
    Did you point your camera body downwards while blowing?
    eat. drink. shoot

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Astin Studio
    Posts
    4,736

    Default Re: How do u keep your lens & cam dust free???

    Quote Originally Posted by +evenstar
    Did you point your camera body downwards while blowing?
    This one I am not very sure now. Dust are supposed to be lighter than air, so if u point yr camera downwards while blowing, the dust may actually "fly" higher and into the camera.

  9. #9
    Senior Member sammy888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,568

    Default Re: How do u keep your lens & cam dust free???

    Quote Originally Posted by CYRN
    It's possible.... keep your equipments in clean room.... never bring them out.

    Bring your subjects to clean room and do your entire shooting in clean room.

    Remember to wear those clean room suits.. else the clean room will also be containminated.
    hahahahah......aiya like that...no need all that clean room stuff lah. Just put your camera in one of those underwater camera containment can already lah. Totally air tight! If you have the D2X even better. Attach wireless device and transmit all your data without having to open it up to take the memory module out hehe.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    North
    Posts
    539

    Default Re: How do u keep your lens & cam dust free???

    Untill sometime when you really can't stand the amount of dust in your camera and lens, send them to cleaning. That will sure do the job.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SGee
    Posts
    1,572

    Default Re: How do u keep your lens & cam dust free???

    Quote Originally Posted by sammy888
    hahahahah......aiya like that...no need all that clean room stuff lah. Just put your camera in one of those underwater camera containment can already lah. Totally air tight! If you have the D2X even better. Attach wireless device and transmit all your data without having to open it up to take the memory module out hehe.
    ur idea co$tly ler!!

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,109

    Default Re: How do u keep your lens & cam dust free???

    Quote Originally Posted by aspire
    Untill sometime when you really can't stand the amount of dust in your camera and lens, send them to cleaning. That will sure do the job.
    Don't really need to be overcautious about dust affecting the picture quality. Just regular cleaning daily will do. Afterall, your camera is meant to be used for shooting, and is bound to get dusty/dirty. Just need to be aware of your surrounding.

    With digital, you can also PS away, although it would take longer.

    Like aspire say, if you cannot stand the dust, then send for cleaning.

  13. #13

    Lightbulb Re: How do u keep your lens & cam dust free???

    you can permanently keep them in a dust-proof bag. hehe!

    Quote Originally Posted by 1911
    to my horror i find some dust particles on my macro lens, and the dark shadows they cast actually show up in my pics. i had to PS those dust spots away. just wondering how do you guys keep your lens & cam dust free?

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Tanjong Katong
    Posts
    3,710

    Default Re: How do u keep your lens & cam dust free???

    Quote Originally Posted by sammy888
    hahahahah......aiya like that...no need all that clean room stuff lah. Just put your camera in one of those underwater camera containment can already lah. Totally air tight! If you have the D2X even better. Attach wireless device and transmit all your data without having to open it up to take the memory module out hehe.
    How to change or charging the battery? Solar panel?

    Hahaha...
    Arto.

  15. #15

    Default Re: How do u keep your lens & cam dust free???

    hehe, looks like i asked a stupid question, but stupid question can attract lots of replies

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Toa Payoh Nth
    Posts
    146

    Default Re: How do u keep your lens & cam dust free???

    Quote Originally Posted by +evenstar
    Did you point your camera body downwards while blowing?
    Any different between camera body facing at any direction? Advise.
    Write to Olympus Service Centre on the cost for the servicing but still no reply...
    since like their service is slow....

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,109

    Default Re: How do u keep your lens & cam dust free???

    Quote Originally Posted by 1911
    hehe, looks like i asked a stupid question, but stupid question can attract lots of replies
    No lah, it's not a stupid question, you asked with the right intention, and its a valid question.

    Just reading a book from the library "Extreme Digital Photography" by Jonathan Chester. In the book, taking photos in the dessert is a problem, as the sand can get in, so the way is not to change lens, so carry 1 body with wide angle, 1 body with short telephoto, and 1 with long telephotos, .... That way, if you don't change lens, you will minimise the sand going in. Also have to do regular cleaning daily.

  18. #18
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: How do u keep your lens & cam dust free???

    borrow other people's camera while keeping your camera in an air tight container for show only.

    or cling wrap your camera

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,109

    Default Re: How do u keep your lens & cam dust free???

    Quote Originally Posted by ortega
    borrow other people's camera while keeping your camera in an air tight container for show only.

    pretty selfish what! Know you are joking right? So can lend me your camera?

    Cameras are meant to be used, not to be showcased.

  20. #20
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: How do u keep your lens & cam dust free???

    Quote Originally Posted by blive
    pretty selfish what! Know you are joking right? So can lend me your camera?

    Cameras are meant to be used, not to be showcased.
    my camera got more dust than yours

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •