Thread: Things to take note of in cold climates

Default Things to take note of in cold climates

Hi guys,

I'll be going to Japan in 2 weeks time.Noted that it will be cold especially up on Mt Fuji.Just want to check with those who travel to cold places for precautions that I have to take when using my camera.especially when it comes to changing lens outdoors.Will be glad if anyone can share some of their experiences.

Cheers,
    Nick

Default Re: Things to take note of in cold climates

Quote Originally Posted by stiener
    Just want to check with those who travel to cold places for precautions that I have to take when using my camera.especially when it comes to changing lens outdoors.Will be glad if anyone can share some of their experiences.
    I never had any real problems with my cameras at outdoor temperatures down to -30C. If you keep the camera in a well padded bag, it will take a long time to cool down - possibly longer than you can stand it outdoors. No problems at all changing lenses either. With modern cameras featuring many small buttons/switches/wheels, there can be some handling issues when wearing thick gloves or having cold fingers.

Main concern to me is condensation when a cold camrea/lens back indoors where the air is much more humid. Give it time to warm up before opening the bag. If you cannot wait that long, a small hair dryer comes in useful to dry/warm up the camera/lenses.

Humidity is what I'm most afraid of.Will put add more silicon gel to the bag.Thanks for you advice.Will that not of that.

Cheers,
    Nick

In temperate climates, the humidity levels are low, thus things get statically charged rather easily, which means your camera becomes a dust magnet. Take great care when changing lenses.
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

And bring lots of batteries, they run out damn fast in cold places

i think this has been asked countless times. Don't worry too much. Just go and shoot. The only problem is that your batteries drain faster. Oh yeah wear woolen/thermal underwear.

Haha...will take note of that.Thanks guys for sharing.

Cheers,
    Nick