Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: which is better for beginners

Default Re: which is better for beginners

COolpix S3!!! see pay ho. no kidding.

not totally right,
    with or w/o IS on my lens,
    i still use high ISO when taking a night shot
    as i prefer the background not to be pitch black.

jude

Quote Originally Posted by Simon_84
    with image stablisation,actually there's not much need to go up to ISO 200 or 400 for night shots.

only those cameras without IS need to reach high ISO level in order to keep their image from bluring if they are not using a tripod.

besides powershot S2 is also quite noisy at ISO 400 which is a common problem for 5 mega-pixels compact camers.

btw, dopes,
    u didn't say if u intent to stay
    at ur current level,
    or do u want to learn n progress from there?

jude

try a casio model...got many scene modes which may suit ur preference...like abt 23 diff modes kinda thlng..n yepp...within ur budget

i think i should save more money and buy DSLR cams...and kinda interested in KMD5 and D50...does anyone know the prices of that cams ..

And wat r these measurements at the lenses for?example 18-200mms ...im still pity blur at this stuff

both cost e same frm abt 1100 - 1300.....d50 kit lens is 18-55 mm

Quote Originally Posted by dopes
    i think i should save more money and buy DSLR cams...and kinda interested in KMD5 and D50...does anyone know the prices of that cams ..

And wat r these measurements at the lenses for?example 18-200mms ...im still pity blur at this stuff
    I think if ur budget is $700, ur initial choice, the Panasonic FZ5 is very good. U can read more abt it here:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicfz5/

Learn more with the FZ5 first before u decide whether u want to invest in a DSLR. Because once u get started with a DSLR, the initial $1100-1300 in only a small beginning ...

Quote Originally Posted by dopes

The measurements on the lenses are the focal lengths of the lenses. 18mm means the the distance of the lens to the focal pt where the image is sharp is 18mm. Likewise for 200 mm.

The focal lengths provide:
    1) A sort of reference value. When you look at a photo, you might want to ask, what focal length was this photo taken at? If it is at 18mm, you know it's more of a wide angle shot or if it is 85mm, then it is a mid-tele shot. And at 200mm, you know this is a ultra zoom shot.

2) How many times zoom a zoom lens is capable of. For the 18-200mm zoom lens, it means that it can provide 11.1x zoom (200/18 = 11.1). That is, the 200mm shot is 11.1x magnifies as compared to the 18mm shot.

Hope you understand this!

maybe you can get a prosumer digicam to learn more about photography first before taking the plunge into DSLRs.

sorry dopes, hope u dun mind me making use of ur thread to post my qns. I'm a newbie also and considering Canon eos 350d and wonder if that wld be appropriate for a newbie. Thanks!
    Last edited by Xristen; 20th November 2005 at 01:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by seanlim
    What do u like to take?...movies?..macro?
    if you like to take movies, should just get a DVC, instead...

Quote Originally Posted by Xristen
    sorry dopes, hope u dun mind me making use of ur thread to post my qns. I'm a newbie also and considering Canon eos 350d and wonder if that wld be appropriate for a newbie. Thanks!
    if you are a newbie to photography, i think it will be safer to start with a prosumer cam ie: Canon PS S2 IS, Fuji S9500, Nikon 8400. You can familiarise yourself with the PASM modes and also the advanced features. These cams provide good features and also good zoom range. U can save on the cost of buying lens, flash and other accessories with DSLR sys.

Get your fundamentals skills right before moving on to DSLR.
    Prosumers/PnS can also take good pics.
    It is how use maximise the features of the cam to produce the pics that you want.

Re: It is the Man behind the Cam that produces a good pics. The cam is merely a tool to capture the moment.

My 2-cent thought.

Quote Originally Posted by vbs1979
    if you are a newbie to photography, i think it will be safer to start with a prosumer cam ie: Canon PS S2 IS, Fuji S9500, Nikon 8400. You can familiarise yourself with the PASM modes and also the advanced features. These cams provide good features and also good zoom range. U can save on the cost of buying lens, flash and other accessories with DSLR sys.

Get your fundamentals skills right before moving on to DSLR.
    Prosumers/PnS can also take good pics.
    It is how use maximise the features of the cam to produce the pics that you want.

Re: It is the Man behind the Cam that produces a good pics. The cam is merely a tool to capture the moment.

My 2-cent thought.
    i agree with the above...familiarise with the APSM....if u wanna learn...u got to go manual to understand aperture and shutter speed. maybe use aperture priority and shutter priority first. read up at the library....understanding exposure...i think thats the title...by bryan perterson...then practice..practice..practice...btw......do get a camera with a hotshoe....

dont go into dslr if u cant afford it....the cost of lenses can buy u a good compact camera..e.g flash for Nikon system SB-800 costs about $600...and remember.....u do need a good flash when u use a DSLR...

Question Re: which is better for beginners

Sounds good. I wonder though, is there any difference between brands of cameras?
    I personally prefer Canon, but wonder if Nikon is better, or the other brands. Am currently holding onto an idiot-proof camera, but planning to upgrade to a prosumer one sometime (was too costly to get a more expensive one when I got my Canon Ixus i, regrettably).

I definitely want one that have functions I can dabble into, especially since mine has limited things to change in manual mode.

At the same time, my interest is in studio photography, outdoor landscapes and portraits (nude included) so is there any prosumer one that is better for these functions that you guys could recommend?

THanks a zillioN!

Quote Originally Posted by exhibitj
    The measurements on the lenses are the focal lengths of the lenses. 18mm means the the distance of the lens to the focal pt where the image is sharp is 18mm. Likewise for 200 mm.

The focal lengths provide:
    1) A sort of reference value. When you look at a photo, you might want to ask, what focal length was this photo taken at? If it is at 18mm, you know it's more of a wide angle shot or if it is 85mm, then it is a mid-tele shot. And at 200mm, you know this is a ultra zoom shot.

2) How many times zoom a zoom lens is capable of. For the 18-200mm zoom lens, it means that it can provide 11.1x zoom (200/18 = 11.1). That is, the 200mm shot is 11.1x magnifies as compared to the 18mm shot.

Hope you understand this!
    200mm is not really ultra zoom. [ultra zoom] should be taken as 400mm and above but its just a name. the [how many times zoom] a len's got is really not important. like my 70-200vr is only 2.9x while the [kit] 18-70 lens is 4.1x. so [how many times zoom] is not equal to the reach of the lens. however its a rough gauge for most consumer and prosumer cameras as they start from 20+ to 30+mm on the wide end.

a big zoom lens is n0t a good thing. it'll lose sharpness and contrast at the 2 ends. a prosumer big zoom camera offers bigger apatures like 1:2/8 throughout or 1:2.8-3.5 while a slr tele zoom(consumer, not pro) normally ranges from 1:4-5.6.

a good prosumer camera is better then a cheap dslr with [crappy] lenses. a good dslr system over takes prosumer cameras significantly in both performance and price
    Last edited by roti_prata; 27th November 2005 at 03:32 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12