Thread: Taking sunset at the beach

Default Taking sunset at the beach

I was drooling many of you guys sunset pic... i like the one especially when its taken from beach with ppl or objects in the foreground...

My qns is how do you guys get the bright reddness of the sunset(main focus is of course sunset) and turning those objects/ ppl in the foreground shadow- like?

Default Re: Taking sunset at the beach

Quote Originally Posted by Dispar
    I was drooling many of you guys sunset pic... i like the one especially when its taken from beach with ppl or objects in the foreground...

My qns is how do you guys get the bright reddness of the sunset(main focus is of course sunset) and turning those objects/ ppl in the foreground shadow- like?

The simplest answer? Your shutter speed is adjusted for exposure to the sunset. ( which also means you under expose your shot to the general scene and concentrate more on the exposure to the sunset) Under exposing prevents the sun from over burning your negative or digita capture shot thus turning it into a white or yellowish shapeless big spot in your picture.

Imagine you use your metering to measure the light in your picture of the sunset and people in the foreground. In normal shutter priority mode in matrix auto mode say for example you get a reading of 1/250 at f16. Then you switch over to Centre Weight mode and take another reading with the sunset very close (but not center) of your viewfinder and look at the reading. Maybe now the reading will be 1/1000 at f16. So now you know at 1/250 earlier, you would get a picture where the sunset would be pretty bright and the people in the foreground would be reasonable claer although abit dark. But if you now choose to shoot the scene at 1/1000 or even 1/1250 at f16, the sunset will yearn more cloud linings, maybe even rays and the sun has a warm glow to it instead of a white out and now the foreground scene of people will be just a dark lot (shilouette) with maybe some outline of golden outlines set against the sunset or sunrise. Experiment abit. Usually I would shoot the scene a few time and change my shutter speed around to get the best results. This is the basic for shooting sunset and sunrise....which is you always tend to under expose the shot.

Also note it is easier to do this with SLRS or DSLR then to use P&S unless it has manual mode to let you adjust your shutter/apeture speed to archieve underexposing shots.
    Last edited by sammy888; 11th November 2005 at 09:42 PM.