Thread: memory card speeds

Default memory card speeds

Just a question..

i have read online that class 2/4/6/8/10 mean increasing buffer in ascending order.
    How about when a card says class 10 + UHS 1/2/3? as well as an accompanying number like 30/45/60/120/etc... mbps

UHS is relating to video right?

Not to mention sandisk(in this example) names their cards funnily, like sandisk ultra/extreme.
    Not to mention my ultra's have 30/40 mbps

Thanks

Default Re: memory card speeds

A very good read.

http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/de...-speed-ratings

UHS Speed Class was introduced in 2009 by the SD Association and is designed for SDHC and SDXC memory cards. UHS utilizes a new data bus that will not work in non-UHS host devices. If you use a UHS memory card in a non-UHS host, it will default to the standard data bus and use the "Speed Class" rating instead of the "UHS Speed Class" rating. UHS memory cards have a full higher potential of recording real time broadcasts, capturing large-size HD videos and extremely high quality professional HD.
    http://science.opposingviews.com/dif...rds-17325.html

Additional Technologies
    Extreme cards were introduced to the market after Ultra cards and contain a number of technology enhancements that Ultra cards don't have. For example, SanDisk created a card controller technology for parallel processing to increase speed and included it with the Extreme cards. Extreme cards also contain additional silicone coating to protect against moisture and humidity.
    Last edited by rhino123; 16th May 2016 at 02:46 PM.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

I tend to ignore the class and speed stated by the manufacturer.
    If I am to use it in my camera, what is important is how fast my camera can write and how fast a card can be written.
    This is a good site to check

http://www.cameramemoryspeed.com

so the 2/4/6/8/10 is the SLOWEST possible speed of the card am i right?

so whats the diff between class 10 and UHS 1? given both are 10mbps at their lowest.
    Functionally that is, not differentiating them by whatever bus they use

ultra vs extreme wise, extreme is just like a steroid version of the ultra i guess?

Quote Originally Posted by gardna View Post
    so the 2/4/6/8/10 is the SLOWEST possible speed of the card am i right?

so whats the diff between class 10 and UHS 1? given both are 10mbps at their lowest.
    Functionally that is, not differentiating them by whatever bus they use

ultra vs extreme wise, extreme is just like a steroid version of the ultra i guess?
    Please read the link I provided. It has everything you asked. To make it short, if your camera or whatever system do not support UHS (Read your manual to know if they support or not) then don't get a UHS card because you will not get the most out of it.
    Last edited by rhino123; 17th May 2016 at 08:33 AM.
    My lousy shots

i did, just that that is what i understood..

lets say my device supports UHS, then whats the diff between class 10 and UHS 1. I have a card that has both class 10 and UHS 1 printed on it

Quote Originally Posted by gardna View Post
    i did, just that that is what i understood..

lets say my device supports UHS, then whats the diff between class 10 and UHS 1. I have a card that has both class 10 and UHS 1 printed on it
    Minimum speed wise, no different between a Class 10 and UHS 1, both of them have the same minimum speed of 10MB/s. The main difference lies in the fact that UHS as quoted from my link,

UHS memory cards have a full higher potential of recording real time broadcasts, capturing large-size HD videos and extremely high quality professional HD
    and that is because, UHS utilize a new data bus interface of up to 312 Megabytes per second. Basically for still, you really don't need that fast, even when capturing 36MP captures. But for 4K video, you might want to consider UHS cards.
    Last edited by rhino123; 19th May 2016 at 12:56 PM.
    My lousy shots