Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which LCD Monitor is good for Photo Editing?

Default Re: Which LCD Monitor is good for Photo Editing?

How much for a 23" model for the ACD?

Hi all.

I am considering the Viewsonic VP930 - 19 inch LCD screen. So far, I have read some favorable reviews, even though it is not ‘perfect’.

Some cited that:

(1) the price is too high
    (2) Viewsonic’s ‘dead pixels’ warranty not satisfactory (why is it so?)
    (3) because the company is not a manufacturer, but an assembler, they may not be as good as their competitors.

Before making any purchase commitment, I would like to hear some honest feedback, opinions from anyone, be it “Positive” or ‘Negative’ comments about this model. I think the market price is around $750 plus.

Would you buy this model yourself?
    Will you also consider the 21 inch VP series model?

Regards.

they got a zero dead or bright pixel warranty on this model for the 1st year. and up to 3 pixel faults for the subsequent 2 years. total 3 years warranty.

my first one had one bright subpixel for blue at left quarter of screen, so I got it replaced with a perfect copy.

the bottom 2 corners are slightly brighter when whole screen is displaying black (0,0,0), but not noticeable otherwise in normal display of other colours.

colours wise, this is , viewing angles also , as this is using a MVA (multi-domain vertical alignment) panel, as opposed to the cheaper TN+Film panels in most 17" LCDs.

Even the famed Apple Cinema Displays and Dell 24" use other manufacturer's panels, like Phillips, so if you are hung up on the single tier manufacturer thing, go for phillips.
    Last edited by reminisce; 29th November 2005 at 07:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Digi-Learner
    Hi all.

I am considering the Viewsonic VP930 - 19 inch LCD screen. So far, I have read some favorable reviews, even though it is not ‘perfect’.

Some cited that:

(3) because the company is not a manufacturer, but an assembler, they may not be as good as their competitors.
    Manufacturers have also been known to suck. So it doesn't matter if they are not the manufacturer IMO. I think the important thing is that it works right for the money.

The history of Viewsonic is such that they are one of the most demanding brands to manufacture for. A key reason for their success is that they tend to over-spec things at any one point in time for their subcontractors to follow, this in order to trump competitors' products. That's been their winning strategy and they've been in the game for a long time already.

The VP930 is as good a compromise if any. I'd buy it if I can live with an LCD screen for DI, but I can't. The seriously 'good' LCD screens are still too pricey IMO.
    Last edited by kahheng; 29th November 2005 at 09:11 PM.

http://www.behardware.com/articles/5...ad-pixels.html

something for you to read about quality vs price.

Quote Originally Posted by reminisce
    http://www.behardware.com/articles/5...ad-pixels.html

something for you to read about quality vs price.
    Reminisce points to a very good website. You should read their reviews which I think are quite balanced

Also see:

http://forums.anandtech.com/messagev...readid=1734569

Now I am using a 17 inch CRT.
    I worry about radiation from the CRT tube.
    I could have bought a Sony 19 inch trinitron at a cheap price.
    But the worry stopped me.

The bigger the screen the greater the danger?

Radiation over a long term may lead to cancer, amongst other things.
    Long hours in front of the CRT may lead to absorption of lots of radiation.

Of course you will be "assured" it is OK, don't worry...all this is tested....lots of people use it.

That was what they probably said about thalidomide too. And many mothers found out the hard way.

If LCD prevents this, may be better to learn to live with some colour inaccuracy?
    The key word in the sentence is "LIVE"

Friend said new Samsung 1000 to 1 contrast 19 inch LCD not bad.
    At Funan last week many shops do not have stock.

Some things to note about buying Eizo LCD's in Singapore.

There's only one place you can get them: Powermatic Distribution (they're the distro for Eizo products). There are no longer retail shops for Eizo products.

Their office is in Sim Lim Square, 6th storey, back row shops.

Also, they DO NOT keep stocks.
    If they don't happen to have stocks in the warehouse for the model you're looking for, you'll need to backorder and pay a deposit of at least S$100.
    The shipment time is approximately 5 to 6 weeks after you order.

If you're lucky and the shipment is coming in that day itself and includes the model of LCD you're looking for, offer to pay in full. The salesman is very likely to push someone else into another backorder and let you take that piece. That's what happened to me when I bought my Eizo L568.

I switched from 21" CRT to 20" LCD

the first thing that i can feel was the radiation (or the lack of)...my eyes wont get tired so easily too.

for me, i stare at the screen for more than 12 hrs a day, so my eyes is more precious than anything else...I dont care if CRT got better colour, it is not worth it if it is with the expense of my eyes.

once in a while when i got to use the CRT, i can feel my eyes being bombarded with radiation again...probably because I dont wear glasses, so there is no protection
    We are HDD of PC & FT are MB add to storage;
    so PC never hangs with enormous storage capacity - LKY

Hi.

Thanks for the reassurance that the VP930 is "safe" to invest in. Looking at a CRT for long hours is really taxing on my eyes.

Thanks for all your inputs.

Regards.

Quote Originally Posted by Wai
    once in a while when i got to use the CRT, i can feel my eyes being bombarded with radiation again...probably because I dont wear glasses, so there is no protection
    Well, you could wear sunglasses when using the CRT, but I guess that would negate any improvement in colour perception wouldn't it? Heh.

anyone interested in my 19" SHARP 24bit LL-T19D1-H, under warranty till Nov 2007? For more info, PM me... ^^

err.. wat abt this? think it's the latest lcd they've produced.

http://www.samsung.com/sg/products/m...Specifications

any comment??

Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex
    Now I am using a 17 inch CRT.
    I worry about radiation from the CRT tube.
    I could have bought a Sony 19 inch trinitron at a cheap price.
    But the worry stopped me.

The bigger the screen the greater the danger?

Radiation over a long term may lead to cancer, amongst other things.
    Long hours in front of the CRT may lead to absorption of lots of radiation.

Of course you will be "assured" it is OK, don't worry...all this is tested....lots of people use it.

That was what they probably said about thalidomide too. And many mothers found out the hard way.

If LCD prevents this, may be better to learn to live with some colour inaccuracy?
    The key word in the sentence is "LIVE"

Friend said new Samsung 1000 to 1 contrast 19 inch LCD not bad.
    At Funan last week many shops do not have stock.

it's a common perception that CRTs emit harmful radiation. however please do some research before you fall prey to the common perception and myths surrounding CRT radiation, which are perhaps perpetuated by the sales people trying to sell you new LCD monitors. what radiation do CRTs emit? gamma? x-rays? beta? the lead they put into the CRT glass effectively stops all the x-rays. beta doesn't pass through glass. gamma isn't emited by CRTs. the headaches people experience from CRTs are caused by the flicker from the low refresh rates like 60Hz. The EM radiation from the focusing and scanning electromagnets are concentrated at the back of the CRT, which the normal user isn't exposed to, unless he/she likes to hug the backside of a CRT to keep warm in office.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathode_ray_tube

http://www.pc.ibm.com/ww/healthycomputing/vdt14.html

If u're very hung up on the dangers of CRT radiation, then buy yourself some peace of mind by getting non-CRTs, as the psychological stress of worrying about something can be as dangerous or more so than the cause of worry. And also avoid using mobile phones, which pumps up EM radiation to reach the nearest base station which can be up to a few km away, vs your CRT which doesn't have enough EM power to radiate to a few km away.

Quote Originally Posted by reminisce
    it's a common perception that CRTs emit harmful radiation. however please do some research before you fall prey to the common perception and myths surrounding CRT radiation, which are perhaps perpetuated by the sales people trying to sell you new LCD monitors. what radiation do CRTs emit? gamma? x-rays? beta? the lead they put into the CRT glass effectively stops all the x-rays. beta doesn't pass through glass. gamma isn't emited by CRTs. the headaches people experience from CRTs are caused by the flicker from the low refresh rates like 60Hz. The EM radiation from the focusing and scanning electromagnets are concentrated at the back of the CRT, which the normal user isn't exposed to, unless he/she likes to hug the backside of a CRT to keep warm in office.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathode_ray_tube

http://www.pc.ibm.com/ww/healthycomputing/vdt14.html

If u're very hung up on the dangers of CRT radiation, then buy yourself some peace of mind by getting non-CRTs, as the psychological stress of worrying about something can be as dangerous or more so than the cause of worry. And also avoid using mobile phones, which pumps up EM radiation to reach the nearest base station which can be up to a few km away, vs your CRT which doesn't have enough EM power to radiate to a few km away.
    I nominate this for post of the week. Well said!

Ok anyone keen in buying my 19" SHARP? It's the one on the right

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by destiny_star

any comment??
    The high contrast of 1000:1 rocks!

Currently using an older model with this contrast ratio

Quote Originally Posted by destiny_star

any comment??
    I am eyeing on this LCD as well, do you know what can we have a look at the LCD display?

Quote Originally Posted by espn
    The high contrast of 1000:1 rocks!

Currently using an older model with this contrast ratio
    no doubt...

Quote Originally Posted by PhotoTime
    I am eyeing on this LCD as well, do you know what can we have a look at the LCD display?

not too sure though.. but i've seen it at Fuwell (level 4) while i was getting my linksys compact wireless router that day. i was surprised too. Perhaps u can drop by to take a look this wkend.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast