Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Correct Humidity Range?

Default Correct Humidity Range?

Good day All!

I understand that too high a humidity risks the development of fungus on a lens. What humidity range is considered ideal (as a %, just as a hygrometer would read)? Won't an extremely low humidity also affect a lens/ camera?

Default Re: Correct Humidity Range?

according to christopher at CP, its between 40% to 70%

but CP told me for more accurate and good, please get it run at 45-55?

yup i normally keep mine ard the 40-50 range...

What happens if you keep the humidity less than 40%?

(Kia-su singaporean - the lower the better?)

thanks
    My Webspace
    ##See and listen with your heart, for beauty will reveal thyself##

Quote Originally Posted by eng_keow
    What happens if you keep the humidity less than 40%?

(Kia-su singaporean - the lower the better?)

thanks
    the rubber contacts harden and crack, lubricants dry up hahas.
    recommended 40-50%...
    Last edited by ShaoWei; 10th November 2005 at 10:58 PM.

Thank you very much for all the quick replies. So it appears that there is a general consensus here that the humidity shouldn't go below 40%...I'll need to watch that hygrometer to make sure it stays that way.

then again u gotta make sure ur hygrometer is working proeprly. if ur using digicabi, should be ok. but if ur akarui.......good luck to u

My digicabi is set to 44-47%. It'll go up to 55% if the door is opened frequently. You may need to fine tune it during the initial setup, so that the humidity level settles down.

Have fun!
    Kind Regards
    My Picture Website

Quote Originally Posted by Isaiahfortythirtyone
    then again u gotta make sure ur hygrometer is working proeprly. if ur using digicabi, should be ok. but if ur akarui.......good luck to u
    !!!

Then I'm finished!

No surprise at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Virgo
    My digicabi is set to 44-47%. It'll go up to 55% if the door is opened frequently. You may need to fine tune it during the initial setup, so that the humidity level settles down.

Have fun!
    In the past, I made a mistake of getting a dry box instead of a digi cabi. So now I'm left with the trouble of regulating the thing manually...the humidity shoots to around 60% whenever I open the box, but nowadays I make it a point to only open it when the aircon is on, which drops the surrounding air to around 45% humidity.

With a Thirsty Hippo inside there, I'm getting low humidity readings, perhaps too low for comfort.

Why leave your camera in the dry cabinet? Take it out and shoot alot, tht is the best way to prevent molds from growing!
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet
    Why leave your camera in the dry cabinet? Take it out and shoot alot, tht is the best way to prevent molds from growing!
    True...and I try my best to get out at least once every week to do a bit of photography. Unfortunately I'm beginning to run out of places to go. The ones such as Pulau Ubin are great ones to try but a little too far away.

Even when I do get out, I don't necessarily lug both the kit lens and a telephoto zoom around. Just got a backpack last week which makes things a little easier, but I reckon most authorities will search me because it looks as if I'm carrying a bomb on me.

Thirsty Hippos are humidity suckers, which is not too good IMHO, as the humidity can get too low before you noticed it. If possible, try to get a digi cabi. If not, just keep shooting, as advised by Deadpoet!

Quote Originally Posted by fWord
    In the past, I made a mistake of getting a dry box instead of a digi cabi. So now I'm left with the trouble of regulating the thing manually...the humidity shoots to around 60% whenever I open the box, but nowadays I make it a point to only open it when the aircon is on, which drops the surrounding air to around 45% humidity.

With a Thirsty Hippo inside there, I'm getting low humidity readings, perhaps too low for comfort.
    Kind Regards
    My Picture Website

mold grows at above 60%.
    rust can be prevented at below 50%.
    so best shld be ard 45-55%.

Quote Originally Posted by Virgo
    Thirsty Hippos are humidity suckers, which is not too good IMHO, as the humidity can get too low before you noticed it. If possible, try to get a digi cabi. If not, just keep shooting, as advised by Deadpoet!
    The one in my box seems to drop the humidity to a stable 30% or so, which is lower than what's been recommended by everyone here. I'll see what kind of photography I can squeeze in today. Staying on the NE line makes the distance to some attractions a little further. Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by esmondng
    mold grows at above 60%.
    rust can be prevented at below 50%.
    so best shld be ard 45-55%.
    Thanks. I did some searching on the internet and didn't come out with any guide figures, but yours will be helpful for now.

My understanding of setting "correct humidity range" depends on how often you use your camera/lens or how often you open the dry cabinet.

If you often (say, everyday or 3/4 days a week) open your dry cabinet, for whatever reasons, it may be best to set to slightly lower humidity than average.

If you rarely (say, weeks or months) open your dry cabinet, for camera/lens/things you archived or rarely use, it may be best to set to slightly higher humidity than average.

I am not so sure about the "mold grows at above 60%" theory. It may be correct but I also think it depends on your general upkeep/maintenance of your equipment to keep off fungus. Am pretty sure many experienced fungus-infested lenses even when their lenses were happily sitting in a dry cabinet set at the optimal humidity range.

Quote Originally Posted by jasphotography
    My understanding of setting "correct humidity range" depends on how often you use your camera/lens or how often you open the dry cabinet.

If you often (say, everyday or 3/4 days a week) open your dry cabinet, for whatever reasons, it may be best to set to slightly lower humidity than average.

If you rarely (say, weeks or months) open your dry cabinet, for camera/lens/things you archived or rarely use, it may be best to set to slightly higher humidity than average.

I am not so sure about the "mold grows at above 60%" theory. It may be correct but I also think it depends on your general upkeep/maintenance of your equipment to keep off fungus. Am pretty sure many experienced fungus-infested lenses even when their lenses were happily sitting in a dry cabinet set at the optimal humidity range.
    Hmm...personally, I open the dry box at least once a week, but usually more often than that, although only over the weekends. So the period of greatest stress on the environment in the box is only during two days of the week.

In your opinion, what are some of the ways to maintain equipment to keep the fungus out, in addition to keeping them in a dry box? Going on your experience, what's a good humidity range to use?

fword: no problem.....i got those figures from my dry cabinet manual....so i guess it's more or less accurate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast