Thread: PC teckies, pls assist

Lightbulb PC teckies, pls assist

two questions:

1. see this recently on my pc when i turned it on. "IGGLEP~1.EXE" . i have avoided opening it or run it.

2. see this too. "iexplore.exe. Application error. the instruction at ........ the memory could not be 'read'" what is this and what should i do, if any? many thanks.

Default Re: PC teckies, pls assist

i only could try to answer no .2

iexplore... rather than internet explorer, I.E in short
    most likely your windows have problems/errors.
    you could update your windows... dont use win98 (easily crushed, not stable)
    back it up, reformat your pc and install win 2000 or win xp.. generally more stable
    try not to use windows , try to use alternatives like firefox instead
    scan pc for virus, adware, spyware, etc.

me no teckies.. just experienced the above error

Might me virus or registry corruption.

For virus, pls run anti-virus.

If its the 2nd problem, go tp www.download.com, search for Advanced System Optimiser or Registry Doctor or a list of other shareware. Install and then run to clear your system and registry which becomes a little problematic after installing and uninstalling ...installing and uninstalling ...various software.

Hope that solves your problem.

Quote Originally Posted by reachme2003
    two questions:

1. see this recently on my pc when i turned it on. "IGGLEP~1.EXE" . i have avoided opening it or run it.
    When you say turn on your PC...what do you mean? At bootup of BIOS? In DOS or once Window pops in? I ask this because you normally dont't see file name like this in windown "~1" is usually the way MSDOS mode deals with long file names when reading them outside of windows. If you can locate the full name then it would be easier to identity this spamware or possible virus ( more the former then latter really) What window OS you using? I recall having something like this on a few PC or notebook I fix ( company staff including a silly boss who like to surf all over, open all emails and seldom update the AV program I installed on it)

What AV are you using? Are you using XP's firewall and security setting or the AV's? You have adminstrator rights on your XP or you normally switch to user mode? ( The latter is the best even if you are only one PC. User mode is more restrictive with what can be installed or done to it but alot safer..something a lot of non PC savvy folk are not aware thus when install XP will rather set it to have full adminstrative rights and this would mean involuntary installation of spam ware or other worst stuff into your system without you know including just simply visiting a site.)

Go to Lavasoft http://www.lavasoft.com/and download their ad-ware SE program which is a good spam scanner (free for single user) and the other being SpyBot http://www.spybot.info/en/download/index.html ....these two are pretty good for spotting spamware and some spyware and restrict how IE surfs the net.

There are many sneaky stuff out there these day and they don't need to get into your system via email but just by surf to the site. There is no 100% safe spam or spy ware out there but this two come pretty close to spotting at least the most critical ones. Sickening but this is the state of the web.

2. see this too. "iexplore.exe. Application error. the instruction at ........ the memory could not be 'read'" what is this and what should i do, if any? many thanks
    This one is pretty common but unfortunately pretty hard to find out why it is happening as a number of things can cause this to happen and the funny thing is..it might not even be IE or Windows' fault. It can also be due to 3rd party software, plugin and yes...spam or spy ware.

SIDE TRACK: And lately...there is a new danger...ROOTKITs. FYI...recently SONY had been busted for putting malwares into PCs..they load via the Audio CDs from Sony BMG. When you play your music CDs under Sony ( those recent artiste in the last 6 month of release) the CD will secretly install a ROOTKIT into your system to monitor and to prevent you from making more then 3 copies of their CDs. But the problem is..it casues other problems to your PC too. REcently the funny thing was this MALWARE in fact needed PATCHING!!! Believe that or not! because it was causing PC to crash or lost their CD driver and other stuff. Worst news...you can not uninstall it without screwing up your system and it causing your CDROM to not work nor be detected..thus you have to reinstall your entire system. This is the latest biggie that is moving around right now and pissing off alot of folks if you are not aware. Those who might be concern if you have might both some CDs under the Sony BMG label can find out more at this link. http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,123432,00.asp

Back to your this problem. Do you have Yahoo plugin or toolbar install in your IE? Or Google? This two had been the casue of this same error message. Do note, this error messages are all default and limited in some way by programmers not being able to anticipate all the future errors so..sometime the message you get can be misleading you. I have one happen to one notebook in office. Once I uninstall her Yahoo Messenger and toolbar...the error message disappear. I heard similar stuff with Google too. The other thing you can try is to go to option and try to disable 3rd party activeX or program plugin. IF after you disable it and this message goes away...you got a problem with some 3rd party plugin.

Some of this add on toolbar also need to be uninstall and reinstall with the latest version. Sometime using an older version of a toolbar from Yahoo..etc. can conflict withsome newer update patches with XP. SO that is worth a try. Try to uninstall IE and reinstall as another option too.

Another cuplrit is spamware....those that install tiny links or program to your system to get you to go to their sites. ( Do check your START button directory list, sometime you can find new "icons" there was never there before) Your AV or even IE might be able to detect it and stop it from proceeding further but in the process hangs and give out an error message like this.

Just something to consider if you have not already done so.. If you got any other symtoms or maybe remember any recent things you have just installed or sites you recently only visited for the first time, you should take note and report it here.. The more info..the easier it is to track it down.

But if you want to solve it "fast" simple...reformat your HDD and redo your XP. That will solve it all. heheh.. Once and for all get rid of all spamware and whatever stuff. You will find that XP sp2 once reinstall is always fine and fast..it is only after sometime you spend on the web and installed certain software that your system start to act up heh.

I have other solutions but I need to know more details to narrow it down. This error message is getting popular of late. Yes XP is not that good, I am not a strong supporter of it but it is not that bad if you know how to work out the kinks and sometime it really is not XP's fault. Btw...my most reliable PC out of the 4 system I use....is my 98SE!!! Know why? It is so old that virus writer and spam programs give it a miss and stop targetting it...so if you have one that is well patched by microsoft...it is pretty rock solid...This is only not true if you happen to use newer programs becasue MS has strong arm alot of 3rd party developer to stop building software to run on 98 SE..but XP..so if you install it in 98SE..there is a likelihood it will not work properly. Just some insite for anyone who wants to have a long winded read heheh..

For those who alway like to sing the praises of the MAC. Keep it up...once Apple migrates to the INTEL chip and become as popular and starts having more people buying it...you will have as much attentions of hackers so willing to hack your system, spam you and spy on your MAC. The reason your OS seem so free of all this is because Mac market share is only like 4%. If I am a hacker and I want to effectively infect as many computers in the world...would I attack the mac or the PC? Since most hackers are using IBM compartible PCs they would of course write hacks directed at PCs. I use macs too and they have headache for me and some other folks tat use it for power crunching work too. Enjoy your calm now...it will not last for long. heh Don't flame I will not argue further...just a thought I share. heheheheheheheh

Good Luck
    Last edited by sammy888; 11th November 2005 at 12:01 PM.

omg sammy u never fail to deliver an essay or a thesis in response to technical questions. hehx
    sigh.

Wow!
    1,221 words!
    Longer than my english essay...

Quote Originally Posted by Clown
    omg sammy u never fail to deliver an essay or a thesis in response to technical questions. hehx

hheheh...sorry lah. The kind of problems I am having to solve for friends and offices where computer are concern is like this. Have to look at them from so many angles. So many of them so similar or are a combination resulting in similar symtoms thus was writing things as it came to mind heheh. But spam and spyware is causing most of the problem we face with PCs getting unstable. If you are lucky you might spot tell tale signs of it but sometime it just hits the system one time and your PC starts acting like it is ko-ko heh Aiya...I guess I am getting too old and long winded too heheh...
    Last edited by sammy888; 11th November 2005 at 02:14 AM.

Lightbulb Re: PC teckies, pls assist

i am on XP(home ed).

i am on XP(home ed).

Not much info leh heh...is this the lastest version with the SP2 patch? You should get it patch to avoid other problems if it is not. But beware...if you have not patch your XP for some time, the updates are PLENTY BIG and quite a few of them! hehe. The last notebook I looked into getting rid of the similar error, it took me almost the whole evening to do all the patching via the web and a 512 broadband modem.

Try some of the stuff I mentioned. Especially downloading those two spam and spy ware scanners to do a complete scan of your PC and if you have install or allowed google or yahoo to install their toolbar in your IE, you might try uninstalling it. This are some basic stuff you can do initially.
    Last edited by sammy888; 11th November 2005 at 10:21 AM.

Try to download Anti-Spyware from www.microsoft.com site. This one detects the spyware and removes them too.

i see sammy88's reply, i only left with 3 response.... dun read, dun bother, just post this kinda response will do... hehehehehe
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt
    i see sammy88's reply, i only left with 3 response.... dun read, dun bother, just post this kinda response will do... hehehehehe
    aiyo...that bad har? Well if someone can offer something clearer and more summarise solution maybe that would help our fellow shooter better. No prob....

I was thinking I have over wrote thinking about it on hind sight.
    Last edited by sammy888; 11th November 2005 at 12:03 PM.

two questions:

2. see this too. "iexplore.exe. Application error. the instruction at ........ the memory could not be 'read'" what is this and what should i do, if any? many thanks.
    Let me try...

1) could be spyware/trojan... go download ad-aware from lavasoft, install, update then scan. follow the instruction there accordingly.

2) IE software corrputed. Go download alternative browser eg. Netscape 8 or Firefox. If you really want to use IE, then use the new browser surf to microsoft.com/ie download IE 6 and follow instruction how to install.

Cheers!
    Last edited by ST_sg; 11th November 2005 at 12:28 PM.
    Canon 40D|17-55 f/2.8 IS|100 f/2.8 Macro|135 f/2L|300 f/4L IS|430ex|BG-E2

1) virus
    2) spyware
    get the relevant softwares to scan and clear them and see if it still exists.

The best thing to do to avoid such problems is to use alternative browsers and/or disable activex controls and software installs all together. ActiveX is the root of the problem (besides malicous content in downloaded files). If you must use IE (html formatting issue, for example), disable all active content and software installations under "Security" tab.

Good anti-virus software and spyware remover are handy tools.

Quote Originally Posted by hyperFocal
    The best thing to do to avoid such problems is to use alternative browsers and/or disable activex controls and software installs all together. ActiveX is the root of the problem (besides malicous content in downloaded files). If you must use IE (html formatting issue, for example), disable all active content and software installations under "Security" tab.

Good anti-virus software and spyware remover are handy tools.
    Good suggestions.

Opera is now free. It's extremely full featured and the footprint is small. I don't like Firefox.

Quote Originally Posted by kahheng
    Good suggestions.

Opera is now free. It's extremely full featured and the footprint is small. I don't like Firefox.

I am usually not too keen to recommend using other browsers or even to change OS just for the sake of it like those that when they hear someone cry Windows is not good and some one shout out..change to Linux or Apple...etc.

Problem is in the real world that might not be the best thing to do. Like it or not...some sites really need IE..and yes you need activeX or some stuff activated to use at the site. One good example is this....I use online banking in my office...and unfortunate you need IE with Virtual Machine protocol if not you can not log on to use online banking and log on. Changing browsers is a good alternative for basic surfing around but if the person with the problem have a need to run IE for more official reason, he will still need to solve the IE problem. I use Firefox and it is fast and I like the user interface but unfortunately some of the sites I go to and some of the places I log on will still equire me to use IE....same goes for Opera Opera is fast too and good for general surfing.

Have you try Netscape 8?
    It allows you to switch html rendering engine between firefox and IE.
    Canon 40D|17-55 f/2.8 IS|100 f/2.8 Macro|135 f/2L|300 f/4L IS|430ex|BG-E2