Thread: manual focus

Default manual focus

i been doing heavy reading on digicam reviews (upgrading next month or so).

there is a topic where people say they vote a camera higher because it has manual focus. but I'm curious, why do we need it if the AF is already tact sharp in focus? Besides INTENTIONALLY creating blur or out-of-focus effects, what good is a manual focus feature in a digicam?

please enlighten me, thanks!

Default Re: manual focus

well, it's always better to have more options isnt' it?

manual focus is good to have when auto focus doesn't work! and auto focus can sometimes not work when there is not enough light, or contrast in your subject.

however, i'm not so sure about manual focusing for digicams, as most of them use a LCD screen to display images, which are not quite accurate enough to get a good manual focus.

AF does not always work.
    Especially in low light and low-contrast situation.

thanks guys. so in short, BESIDES purposely getting blur/soft/out of focus photos, the manual focus has no other uses, assuming the AF does a good work?

So far with AF-assist light and all, I have yet to encounter any situations where I cant get a focus. Can you guys kindly share experiences where manual focus is needed?

my photography are simple:
    macros, landscapes, potraits, snapshots, nightshots (long exposure)
    but so far all ok, auto-focus spot-on...

manual focus is very useful when shooting macro. af has a tendency to hunt due to the extremely shallow depth of field.

Almost all of the time I can trust auto-focus.
    Unless I (for no reason), and shooting blank pieces of paper, the sky, a plain wall :P

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by michhy
    thanks guys. so in short, BESIDES purposely getting blur/soft/out of focus photos, the manual focus has no other uses, assuming the AF does a good work?
    erm... i get a sense dat u're confusing bokeh with manual focus. can read abt bokeh here.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/bokeh.shtml

So far with AF-assist light and all, I have yet to encounter any situations where I cant get a focus. Can you guys kindly share experiences where manual focus is needed?

my photography are simple:
    macros, landscapes, potraits, snapshots, nightshots (long exposure)
    but so far all ok, auto-focus spot-on...
    actually, all dat u pointed out here can use AF or MF, depending on wat u want. the only exception on ur list is macro - this is abt the only scenario dat almost all macro shooters use MF and not AF. manual focus is used, usually, when sharpness is critical. i normally choose MF when take grp pics or landscapes.
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed. ― Deeksha Mittal

Quote Originally Posted by nightwolf75
    erm... i get a sense dat u're confusing bokeh with manual focus. can read abt bokeh here.

Thank you for the link. It is very informative. From the BOKE explanation, does that mean that, in very layman terms, bigger lense + bigger sensor (not higher pixel) EQUALS better image quality? Then sud not get those small lense camera, right?

Blog Entries

MF also useful for focusing on the hyperfocal distance, this is very useful for landscapes
    MF is crucial in Macro
    MF is also use in sports when you need to pre focus

vince123123
    Guests

I think what he's saying is totally out of focus shots, not some parts in focus and some not.

Quote Originally Posted by nightwolf75

actually, all dat u pointed out here can use AF or MF, depending on wat u want. the only exception on ur list is macro - this is abt the only scenario dat almost all macro shooters use MF and not AF. manual focus is used, usually, when sharpness is critical. i normally choose MF when take grp pics or landscapes.

well, the camera AF sensor doesnt know what you want to forcus one. All it knows is to get the subject that falls in the specific focusing point point sharp. So sometime need manual to focus on what you want to appear sharp