Thread: PMP Certification

Default PMP Certification

There was some talk here about certifications. Just wanna check if there is any PMP certified people here? I badly need some directions

Shadus,
    Are you referring to PMP from PMI (Project Management Institute)?
    Lately I also thinking to get the certification but I don't know is it available in Singapore or not. Last time when I was graduted frommy MEM course in Australia, my academic councellor push me to take PMP certification. But I gave it a miss since I don't have enough time (Student Visa almost expired) and money.
    If you have information please share it with me.
    Cheers,
    Thedi David

Default Re: PMP Certification

Originally posted by Shadus
    There was some talk here about certifications. Just wanna check if there is any PMP certified people here? I badly need some directions
    shadus, after u completed pmp, don't stop there. PM in another one to go.

Originally posted by Knighthunter
    Shadus,
    Are you referring to PMP from PMI (Project Management Institute)?
    Lately I also thinking to get the certification but I don't know is it available in Singapore or not. Last time when I was graduted frommy MEM course in Australia, my academic councellor push me to take PMP certification. But I gave it a miss since I don't have enough time (Student Visa almost expired) and money.
    If you have information please share it with me.
    Cheers,
    Thedi David
    Err...that's one of the problem i face. Not sure if singapore offers it though the information do hv singapore on its list of countries.
    Also, i'm not sure who will verify the PM-related hours that is needed to be clocked. I can't anyhow say i've done all the hours right?

Shadus,
    I fall to category 1 but I have lots of shortcoming on the project management hours. For Experience Verification it needs 4,500 hours of PM exposure withing 5 project management process groups. Over on top of it must have three years PM experience prior 6 years before you login the application forms.
    How can I satisfy this requirement I am also very clueless.
    I already have 35 contact hours of Project Management Education covering quality, scope, time, cost, HR, communication, risk, procurement and integration management.

I think we have to start from somewhere.......any PM gurus in CS?

I fall in cat 1 too. If they dun follow super-strict, then i've already clocked 2 yrs of PM experience. Quite familiar with the SLC and PM processes.

But what i'm clueless about is the 35 hrs of PM education. What in the ... is tht?
    err... my company hv in-hse courses, does tht count as PM education? or is there some kind of formal courses?

lol, actually i was fooling around. The PM i was talking about might not be the PM you guys talking about.

Hey Guys,

Is CS stand for Comp Science? Are both of you in IT line? I am not PMP but I look up the info before and look at some of the materials. For other Industry, I am not sure same or not. but, if you are in IT line then I can share with you. I gave up because I am doint the FHC now.

Regards--
    Kevin
    Last edited by Kevin; 28th October 2002 at 05:18 PM.

What's FHC?
    Yeah, pls share wif us the path.

FHC = FatherHood Certificate

CS---->Clubsnap
    I am mechanical engineeer with engineering management postgrad qualification (that's my 35hrs course).

The problem now I don't think my position as process engineer qualify as project management flight hours.......

Shadus,
    Let's have a coffee next time and talk about it, we must find away to get our cert.

Shadus, here is the address:

Project Management Institute Singapore Chapter
    89 Science Park Drive
    #04-06/07 The Rutherford
    Singapore Science Park
    Singapore 118261

or you can check the local website:

http://www.pmi.org.sg

Good luck!

In IT line, there are 2 ways to be Certified PM.

1. Join Singapore Conmputer Society PM course (can get subsidy if you pass) to be a SCS Certified PM after you work 2 years I think. The work experience requirement is very taugh. Sound like you have to work certain years (may be 2). The course is conducted by ISS in NUS. Duration is half a year and 2 lesson per week and 3 hours each lesson. Now they offer the course through Web based also. Forgot the website but you can go to SCS website to check or go to ISS website.

After that you can go for the PMI's PMP certification. Level 2, like computer game.

2. Another way is to get the PMI's PM certification directly. You can sit for the exam in Singapore. PMI doesn't offer the training course, they only offer the exam. After you pass, you have to submit a report to show them you the relevant working experience in PMgm. There are private institution in Singapore that offer a few weeks training course and they will help you to wirte the Experince Report also. BTW, SCS PM course follow the same curriculum of PMI also.

Hope that help, if you need more info let me know. I know of one institution that offer the short courses for point 2 but the subsidy from govt is lesser.

Cheers--
    Kevin

LOL, houston, we have a problem here.
    It states that to qualify for a CITPM, need at least 8 yrs experience (coz i'm non-IT degree...duh!, wht reason is this?) and have managed at least one project which values at least $1 million or 5 man-years!

err.... dunno how many hv chance to manage such a project leh. esp. now everyone tighten their belt

It's not easy, but surely having PMP Cert is a prestige.
    Another think the test is not cheap.

Originally posted by Knighthunter
    It's not easy, but surely having PMP Cert is a prestige.
    Another think the test is not cheap.

oh well, if you reached that stage, the test is pretty cheap.

Anyway, thks Kevin for the information. actually, i think i understand what they mean by "project" liao. So its not so tough afterall

Shadus,
    You are right, PMP Cert will give career boost. The cost is justified able.
    May I know how you interested to get PMP certification? for myself, I saw some of my Aussie collegues going for this certification after graduate from MEM course. But most of them already 40+ years old and have more than 10 years experience. Last time my friend from Woodside Aust. taught me lots of things about his experience as a senior project manager, and how the PMP cert going to benefit him.
    I checked PMI Singapore site but no information about local exam, I think I will be in different stream since I am not working at IT lines.
    W204FL

Originally posted by Shadus

oh well, if you reached that stage, the test is pretty cheap.

Anyway, thks Kevin for the information. actually, i think i understand what they mean by "project" liao. So its not so tough afterall
    You are welcome . Would be glad to see someone make it since I can't do it at the moment, may be later. Will get some tips from you then!