Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: I paid brand new price for a used hard disk fr a reputated shop at SL

Default Re: I paid brand new price for a used hard disk fr a reputated shop at SL

A few reputable shops in SLS would be:

a. Fuwell
    b. Storage studio

So far I have yet to encounter such things before after 8 yrs of buying from SLS. Guess I was lucky. Anyway don't let such 1 lucky encounter ruin your impression of SLS.

Default Re: I paid brand new price for a used hard disk fr a reputated shop at SL

Quote Originally Posted by evq
    Oh... once HDD passed all the factory tests, they are more or less stable. What I stated above are just FYI.
    Btw, HDD are not meant for perm storage. They will fail, either sooner or later.
    And try to get those made in Japan CD/DVD. They'll cost more. Some may say that less known brand also have zero burning error, but can the data in it be read after many yr? Time will tells.

Okay a small tip to anyone who is not aware about burning disc.. For me I favour CDRs over DVD. I am still not confident of the burn and formats. To trust up to 4 gig+ of data to one(or even if I kiasu and do two) disc of my photo shoot send shiver down my spine if it fails later on heheh.

Anyway, if you want to have better confidence with your recoding lasting a long time and will be readable. Never..ever..record the discs at the fastest speed possible. I know of people who everytime they hear of a newer faster speed CDR writer will go out to buy it to 'save" time. You don;t save much time really and worst these days 52X speed seem to be abit too high and more read error or write error are popping up or will pop up when you use that same disc on another CD drive..especially if the drive is of an older and slower speed version. I keep my record speed for my CDRs at 16X. i use to record at 32X to 48X and I notice with picture viewer like ACDSEE that caches the images on the CD as you preview them...it hangs there spining the disc a long time or it will take a long time to read because it seem to have a hard time reading the disc. But recording at much lower speed, that problem is basically much improved.

I agree that it would be better to get CD/DVD drive made in japan. The laser is better at recording and read tracking. Same thing was said about those VCD palyers where those using laser made in China had resulted in poor read which cause the movie to hang when it encounter an error read. With a Japanese one, it will just carry on and skip the bad stream portion...unless it is a really bad one heheh.
    Last edited by sammy888; 11th November 2005 at 10:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sammy888
    I agree that it would be better to get CD/DVD drive made in japan.
    Oh, I meant CD/DVD media . Hee, anyway it also applies on the burner as what sammy888 stated above. Burn at lower speed is a better bet.

hmmm.....
    find it hard to believe that a SLS shop would exchange a harddisk by giving another one with double the capacity.... have customer service at SLS improve so much?

Quote Originally Posted by auron
    hmmm.....
    find it hard to believe that a SLS shop would exchange a harddisk by giving another one with double the capacity.... have customer service at SLS improve so much?
    wanna try?
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Maybe if you guys didn't notice, it gets quite chaotic in the shops when its busy, especially those with inhouse "workshops". Its fully possible that a new hard disk got accidently swapped with one that was in the workshop for whatever reason. I have shopped at SLS all my life, and usually when I encounter problems like these, I just quietly pull the manager to one side and explain the situation to him/her. 9 out of 10 times they appreaciate the gesture and do a swap for me, no questions asked. You've gotta know that if you kick up a fuss in the shop and they back down in front of everyone, its openly admitting that they made a boo boo which affects other customer's confidence in the shop. They sell hundreds of thousands of parts and peripherals every month, one hard disk to change is a very small issue and is virtually no cost to them coz they have retailer's RMA.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234