Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I paid brand new price for a used hard disk fr a reputated shop at SL

Default Re: I paid brand new price for a used hard disk fr a reputated shop at SL

Quote Originally Posted by Witness
    hmmm and i was juz tinking of getting another harddisk and 1gb of ram....later the ram they gimmie also used one hmmmm
    i wonder how u going to say the ram is used... (

Witness: Eh! the ram inside got files!
    Store Manager: U think i idiot? U power down liao, Ram still got data? Bullshxt!
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Default Re: I paid brand new price for a used hard disk fr a reputated shop at SL

Quote Originally Posted by sammy888
    It is the most kiasu shop lah. heheh still a few units and on 3 difference floors too so you can miss it!. They start out selling all the blank CDs accessories..etc. cutting all the competitions there heh..then in the last 2 yrs or so..they start muscling in on more hardware too...They are not that bad, they might have exchange the HDD with someone or use it to diagnos another system and then put it back into their inventory to sell. Wrong yes. but if you have your proof, they should be more then willing to trade one back to avoid being reported for doing this. Let's hope home got his exchange. Don't blame the shop too quickly,, for all you know it was a staff that did this. By reporting this, they might start their own investigation as to how this happen. A fat owner with a fat gold cladding rolex wife to feed? heheh you bet they will not let who ever did this get away with it or break their rice bowl heheheheheh
    hmm that shop owner i saw b4, got the papaya look.. the wife also... and their workers damn pai mia... went in once, then dunno what the workers did, they scold the hell out of them... infront of all the customers, i swear not to go there again, even if have cheap deals. thats IF!
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by home
    Just learned from other shop all Seagate hard disk manufactured locally doesn't seal in Anti - static bag.
    I think Seagates ones come with a plastic box rite... if i'm not wrong... but i once bought seagates with anti static bag, which was long ago...

Is the shop AT*?

Quote Originally Posted by Witness
    hmmm and i was juz tinking of getting another harddisk and 1gb of ram....later the ram they gimmie also used one hmmmm
    For RAM, only way I know is to visually check the RAM connection pins, see if there's any sign of usage(scratch marks).
    Anyone have better advice?

Quote Originally Posted by sfhuang
    Is the shop AT*?
    Nope. S..........

Quote Originally Posted by evq
    Nope. S..........
    hmm like playing Hang Man...

so how many characters?

S _ _ _ _ _ ?

For RAM, only way I know is to visually check the RAM connection pins, see if there's any sign of usage(scratch marks).
    Anyone have better advice?
    no point lah, rams, u buy 2nd hand or wat still got lifetime warranty, and most if not all new packed rams will still have scratch marks due to QC check. and since its Solid state devices, no diff lor... it will spoil, it will spoil, unlike HDD, its wear & tear..

FYI, for those HDD u bought in SL or Funan or anywhere else, choices that u will be getting a refurished HDD or 'B' grade. This is what we called 'rework/recycle' HDD in the HDD industries term.
    Only DELL, HP etc will be the 1st in line to get 'brandnew' HDD from the HDD manufacturers.

'Brandnew' = to all parts are new, assembled, factory tested, passed in the 1st run, packed.
    'Rework/recycle' = Failed test, replace failure parts. These parts are then tested again & pass on to another HDD if they are dimmed 'ok'. If not, they are sent back to their OEM for further testing & recycled back.... so on & so for.

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt
    hmm like playing Hang Man...

so how many characters?

S _ _ _ _ _ ?
    Any price???

Any price???
    how i know, i dun even know which shop lor, only u know nia wat...

FYI, for those HDD u bought in SL or Funan or anywhere else, choices that u will be getting a refurished HDD or 'B' grade. This is what we called 'rework/recycle' HDD in the HDD industries term.
    Only DELL, HP etc will be the 1st in line to get 'brandnew' HDD from the HDD manufacturers.

'Brandnew' = to all parts are new, assembled, factory tested, passed in the 1st run, packed.
    'Rework/recycle' = Failed test, replace failure parts. These parts are then tested again & pass on to another HDD if they are dimmed 'ok'. If not, they are sent back to their OEM for further testing & recycled back.... so on & so for.
    wah piang. I was going to buy a HDD from there leh, now have to reconsider. What would you guys advise those who want to buy a HDD to do? What can we check for?

use the HDD to back up my photos, if the HDD crash... cry man!

Quote Originally Posted by dnd8008
    wah piang. I was going to buy a HDD from there leh, now have to reconsider. What would you guys advise those who want to buy a HDD to do? What can we check for?

my advice, do regular backup to DVD instead...

also, buy 2 HDD & use as 1, MIRROR!

buy from reputable store?
    check date of manufacture on the back?

for backup, raid 1? dvd backup?

There's nothing U can do as a end-user, these applied to all retails. no matter where u go, u still get the same HDD. Buy from a manufacturer that offer longer warranty period.
    Backup to CD/DVD. eg. I backup to 2 copies(diff media brand), and sometime on an external HDD.
    Last edited by evq; 11th November 2005 at 09:46 AM.

There's nothing U can do as a end-user, these applied to all retails. no matter where u go, u still get the same HDD. Buy from a manufacturer that offer longer warranty period.
    Backup to CD/DVD. eg. I backup to 2 copies(diff media brand), and sometime on an external HDD.
    Thanks for the advice. I have just backed up my photos into DVDs recently- took a very long time, as well as quite a few DVDs!

Also use 2 HDDs for double backup, but running out of space, that's why looking to purchase more (thankfully the prices have come down significantly over the last few years). Maybe the coming Sitex would be a good place to buy.......

The worry is that with Murphy's Law both HDDs can fail at the same time, especially after reading this thread abt suspecious HDD quality....

hmm that shop owner i saw b4, got the papaya look.. the wife also... and their workers damn pai mia... went in once, then dunno what the workers did, they scold the hell out of them... infront of all the customers, i swear not to go there again, even if have cheap deals. thats IF!

hahahah you saw too har? hehe Ya I saw it more then once. Some workers abit "dense in the head" but some can work but the boss especially the wife like to press them hard. Typical I guess.

To all those who are starting to have phobia about shopping at SL or this shop or sometother ones. Don;t start going on a witch hunt. I build systems and buy 99% of my parts from almost all the shops there for a decade now. Yes there will be those days you have problems parts or even questionable shops. I am not expecting everyone to be like me who do research on the parts I buy to build systems but I also take note of the shops I buy from and sometime I do buy from this questionable shops because some of these shops gies the best price since reputation is their weakest point but if I know my parts and brand to buy and do my online and offline search on them..I have no worry buying those product from them. Each shop don't manufacture their own products to sell you..they have to take from some oem or brand name company. Life's a gamble like that at times. What I am tryign to say is, as bad as it is..for someone like me who buy more parts then the average person who only upgrade their system I have less then 10 incident in all this years that made me regret buying from some of them. But usually I managed to get them exchange. You just need to practice more care in your buying, knowing how to buy, ask the right questions at the shop(s) and sometime please don;t be like some of the idiots I see there...who will get tons of price checks with all the shops and will scrap through all of them just to save an extra bloody $1. While you think that is smart, I notice over bargaining will get you less aftersale later and if you willing to pay a good price for an item but not neccesary the cheapst, those shop usually gives you a better deal in term of after sale service or exchanges. People are people..it is all about how you rub them the right way and when you need to stay your ground like what our friend here did to get that exchange and not only that...got an UPGRADE heheh...

Btw...Funan is another place I shop and don;t be surprise you can get bad services here too...some of the shops are actually branches of their main shop in SL and some use a change in name too so you don't track them back to their less popular shop heheh..

i wonder how u going to say the ram is used... (

Witness: Eh! the ram inside got files!
    Store Manager: U think i idiot? U power down liao, Ram still got data? Bullshxt!

hahahahahahahah rofl... funny lah you heheheheh..

Thanks for the advice. I have just backed up my photos into DVDs recently- took a very long time, as well as quite a few DVDs!

Also use 2 HDDs for double backup, but running out of space, that's why looking to purchase more (thankfully the prices have come down significantly over the last few years). Maybe the coming Sitex would be a good place to buy.......

The worry is that with Murphy's Law both HDDs can fail at the same time, especially after reading this thread abt suspecious HDD quality....
    Oh... once HDD passed all the factory tests, they are more or less stable. What I stated above are just FYI.
    Btw, HDD are not meant for perm storage. They will fail, either sooner or later.
    And try to get those made in Japan CD/DVD. They'll cost more. Some may say that less known brand also have zero burning error, but can the data in it be read after many yr? Time will tells.

Totally agree with sammy888.
    I always shop at SL. U will find familiar faces in Funan as well.
    Do ur homework before heading down to SL/Funan.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast