Thread: film scanning,size,quality..

Default film scanning,size,quality..

Hello guys,

I have done some film scanning, as there are usually 4base and 16base resolution, 4 base is 1800x1200 and 16base is 3360x2240, but normally what dpi they will scan with? i got 72dpi with my 16base scanning, can't remember what dpi i got with 4base scanning.

Question1 :So how dpi will affect the quality?

i zoom in that 16base scanned image with 100%. is it normal to see grain?

because the file size is quite big, so i tried to use photoshop to save as another copy, photoshop will always ask you what quality you want to save, from 0 to 8? mm..

Question2 :how to save a big image to a smaller image without losing least details? when i save to a smaller file, the size of or image is still the same, like 3360x2240. Can i do alternative way like resize the original image? will it be a smaller size?

hope you share whatever u know about it! thank you.

Default Re: film scanning,size,quality..

Quote Originally Posted by LENS
    Hello guys,
    Hello,

I have done some film scanning, as there are usually 4base and 16base resolution, 4 base is 1800x1200 and 16base is 3360x2240, but normally what dpi they will scan with? i got 72dpi with my 16base scanning, can't remember what dpi i got with 4base scanning.

Question1 :So how dpi will affect the quality?
    I suggest reading up this link

i zoom in that 16base scanned image with 100%. is it normal to see grain?
    Of course it is normal.
    There is no 35mm film that shows no grain when enlarged to that size you are looking at on your screen right?

because the file size is quite big, so i tried to use photoshop to save as another copy, photoshop will always ask you what quality you want to save, from 0 to 8? mm..
    You are using Jpeg compression?
    Since you are using photoshop, they do have a preview option right? Play around with it and have a look.
    Anyway, 0 is for the most compression ( smallest file, but loses most details ) and 8 is for the least compression ( biggest file, but loses the least detail ).
    Note : There will always be changes to the images when saving as jpeg, no matter how high the quality of the compression you set to be.
    Try it out.

Question2 :how to save a big image to a smaller image without losing least details? when i save to a smaller file, the size of or image is still the same, like 3360x2240. Can i do alternative way like resize the original image? will it be a smaller size?
    Ok here is the series of questions where you lost me.

To save a big image to a smaller image, do you mean from a large file size to a smaller file size while retainning the same image size?
    ( For example, from 10MB file size you wish to reduce to 2MB file size but the image wiil still be 3360 x 2240 )
    To do this, you can save your file in a file type that supports compression ( eg. jpeg ).
    If you don't want to lose any details, you can try tiff, but files size should be much bigger than jpegs.

If you resize your image from say 3360x2240 to 1680x1120, then yes, of course the file size will be smaller.
    Try it out.

hope you share whatever u know about it! thank you.
    No prob, but you know, some of the answers here you will be able to find out on your own if you experiment and observe.
    As long as you don't overwrite the original file, go ahead and save a few files of different sizes, of different jpeg compression and see the difference.
    You will actually learn more that way.

Hi MadAnt,

thank you for taking time to read my poor english ha.

Well, i have tried and experiment but sometimes just wonder is that how other doing?

Actually i read about internet, since my main purpose is to make the file small enough for internet purpose, maybe i should try to use 'save for web' option in Photoshop. try it later.

actually my scan pic is in JPG format, so when i open it and let say i do a curve layer adjustment, and i save as JPG with highest quality. The file size seems like getting much bigger than the original file size. - "so i wonder.. what i should choose.."

For smaller file size, can be achieved by resizing the whole image and save as a lower quality(but remain 33xx X 22xx), right? - "so i wonder.. what is the difference"

Thank you very much for your time!

hi guys, is there any method to check how 'good' is a picture quality? i have scanned both 4base and 16base for different photos, but I wonder how to 'judge' the scanning quality? any standard method?

I read about using some unsharp filter to check how sharp a photo is, can similar method to be used? how we can know is the scanning quality is good.. sound like stupid question ha.