Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BAD Taxi Driver

Default Re: BAD Taxi Driver

let's put it this way... we capitulate with one or even a few bad taxi drivers... this would have a domino effect on the other better ones... it is right that we should always spare a thought, but if you look at the bigger picture, you will realise that such a service is not acceptable especially locally...

Prevention is better than cure, if you know where you need to go, then continue telling the driver how to get there. I understand you wish to entertain your cousin while on this trip but taxi drivers the WORLD over use these tricks on tourists. Socially not acceptable is just a phrase, there will always be such drivers and for that few bucks and the hassle of getting a bad day cause of some driver, I'd rather I take precaution and continuously tell him where to go and how to get there and also since you can speak mandarin, just do so. If it's the first time, lesson learned, if not. I say tough luck. Getting even with one bad driver means an opening for a new bad driver to take his place. Be glad our drivers nowadays end off with "Have a nice day!"

Hey Jas,

How are you doing?

Sorry to hear about your experience. Seems like this is quite common - yours is not the first case I've heard e.g. most recent case - a visiting consultant asked me why it took 20 min for her (traffic is normal) to get to my company by cab when she knows it is just 3 min away between her hotel and her destination! I felt so embarrassed. Imagine how badly it reflects on us.

Since this guy is obviously unrepentant and would probably do it again if he had the chance, I'd say bring this up to the company. If he has been warned before, he may and deserves to be fired. Otherwise he'll get a warning and if he values his job, he'll stop doing it after that.

Gte your friend to write in and mention that he is a TOURIST that some how knows the way in singapore... and sent a copy to tourism board.
    Speaking about good service and promoting of tourism in singapore think more serious action will be taken about this taxi driver as it tarnishes singapore's image.
    i now wonder when i am overseas taking a taxi does the drive take me out for a ride first

There are more cab for rental than drivers to rent cabs. Cab companies are coming out with "offers" for potential drivers to rent their cabs ie diesel rebates. These drivers obivously know what are their bargaining powers nowadays. I have uncles telling me that complaints lodged to their rental companies will not have any impacts. They merely get some demerit points, and that's it.

Frankly, go ahead and lodge a complaint to the cab companies or even to the local newspapaer. And if you are luckly, what you get is some potitically-correct "feel-good" reply from their CEOs or PR-men.
    Last edited by eric69; 9th November 2005 at 11:32 AM.

write in to the taxi company.

I kenna that once .. few yr back..
    They took quite some time to reply me (after 2-3 email of asking states)
    The driver kenna warning letter. Then the taxi company want to sent me a CHQ of $2 (i think) the different as he go the long long way.

vince123123
    Guests

Really arh, I paid by credit card for fares of about S$5 to S$7 before

Quote Originally Posted by jsbn
    Jason, dun give chance. COMPLAIN.

By NOT COMPLAINING to the taxi company with full details, u are allowing that fella to go scot free and allowing him to chop more tourists heads.

Understand that u dun want to break ppl's ricebowl, but imagine if one day u start hearing ur friends abroad asking u whether all taxi drivers are dishonest ppl den how? Die lah izzit?

Better kill 1 to nip the problem in the bud den to let it poison the entire hedge.

And BTW, u could have easily NOT PAID by using the following method:
    - Getting the taxi driver to pull up along the side of the road along a busy junction and paying by credit card saying that u do not have cash.

The trick is this: Credit Card payment is only available for taxi fares above SGD$15. This will add onto his difficulty. To further add on, some taxi drivers do not know how to operate the VISA machine (or at least they give excuses that the machine is spoilt. And its ironic that I know how to operate the VISA machine even though I'm no staff of any taxi companies!). And by paying thru VISA, it will take up to 3 working days for the taxi company to clear payment with the CC company and deposit the money directly into the cabbie's bank account minus the 10% admin charge.

In short, no immediate cash for them for the next 3 days. U make their life extremely difficult as well as u teach them a good lesson.

The reason why most cabbies prefer cash over credit card (and they make 'the face' when u try to pay them by card) is becos some of them need immediate cash and things like dat.

Its bad I know. U guys must be cursing me in ur hearts that I'm a blady black-hearted chap to be able to pull off such a stunt. But dat's me. I basically quite chin chai. But try to pull stunt on me, I stun u back with a bigger stunt.

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123
    Really arh, I paid by credit card for fares of about S$5 to S$7 before
    If u look at those fare decals they stick onto the windows, BY RIGHT u can only pay via VISA if its $15 and above.

But BY LEFT, u can tekan the fella half-dead by paying a $5 ride with credit card. Between $5 and no money at all, the fella is certain torn.

And if u tell him to stop along a busy road, there's a possibility he might get a $70 summon.
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

Quote Originally Posted by jOhO
    yo jas...

yeah u seem compassionate about someone's rice bowl, but then that really puts the icing on a cake. how can someone like him take his ricebowl in such a slipshot manner. given, in their days, anythign goes, but it's not like this anymore and they have to learn, that customer service is important and not only that, it's IMPERATIVE.

so while it MIGHT affect his ricebowl, i think it still has to be done. it's not only poor service, it's BAD attitude. as u said, if he just admitted his mistake and collected just 4 bux, u would not even bother to open this thread probably.

if me, he apologises and admits his mistake, heck i'll just pay him the 5 bux, as u mentioned it's not a big deal.

and i just can't HELP but comment on the way taxi drivers drive. sorry man, this is one stereotype i CANNOT get rid of. *shakes head* they surely dun have a good reputation on the roads.....

You got take cab meh?????? Dun bluff...!

vince123123
    Guests

Hmm, next time I'll look at the decals - they should put more prominent signs if they want to enforce this :P

If u look at those fare decals they stick onto the windows, BY RIGHT u can only pay via VISA if its $15 and above.

But BY LEFT, u can tekan the fella half-dead by paying a $5 ride with credit card. Between $5 and no money at all, the fella is certain torn.

And if u tell him to stop along a busy road, there's a possibility he might get a $70 summon.

Do you seriously think the taxi driver is that stupid as to run against the law and be fined, just to please the passengers? Don't forget, the persons are already in his cab, and he has every right to tell them off for asking him to do things THAT's against the laws e.g stop by a busy road, speed beyond the speed limits, don't put on that rear seat belt etc.

But seriously, taxi drivers, nowadays, are already a really pain in the a55. Their a55 actually. Incidently, taxi drivers, because of their constant sitting down, tend to easily develop piles, and that's to me is, a pain in the a55. So hey, give them a break lah, they are human too, and may not be so familiar with the roads lah.
    Last edited by eric69; 9th November 2005 at 03:58 PM.

If he kicks me outta his cab even better... Free ride.
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

If he kicks me outta his cab even better... Free ride.

But seriously, nowadays, I seem many taxi drivers getting younger and better educated. I knew of some of my poly friends who are driving taxis now (all gotta retenched). And sometimes over beers, they told me of nasty customers as well. Oh,yeah, they told me about the piles too. I guess sometimes we just need to be more tolerant and give the benefit of the doubts to the drivers who made the wrong turns etc.

Something is really wrong here, there are suggestions as to how to make taxi drivers get their pay late, or get fined for stopping on the busy road side by means of Visa for $5. That really tells much about your own character.

I take taxi VERY much. For personal and work, I may take up to $50 per day. There are good and bad drivers. I have under paid drivers twice, when I seriously forgot that I did not have enough cash in my wallet, and both taxi drivers took what I had and said that it is OK. To date, I have not had a need to report any drivers, and that's probably my good fortune. I pay the exact fare for sub-standard drivers (when I feel uncomfortable due to driving, or making wrong turns and not admitting it). And I round up for good drivers. For zoo trips, I pay minimum $1 extra above the round up.

Why? Because I depend on taxis. Have you been out in the rain during peak hour and no taxi company answers your phone because every line is jammed? Sure, some rich guys out here can drive around or call mother to fetch, or some girl will force boyfriend to drive over, but I don't have such luxuries.

If we say that they have bad attitude, those who want to stop at red-lights or those who wants to stop at the jam just after entering Orchard road are saints?

Jas got a lousy driver, who didn't know where to go, and didn't answer politely. Some black sheep, surely can lodge a complain. But the 'tactic's to get at taxi drivers simply puts me off.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12