Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: MO-ed Gaffer Tape No Longer Sticky?

  1. #1
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default MO-ed Gaffer Tape No Longer Sticky?

    I bought a roll of black gaffer's through a notable MO in this forum some time ago (can't remember how long, but I think it was only 30+ bucks at that time (shows how long it was - now its $40 I believe?).

    The problem is, while the gaffer tape used to work very well in the past, I realise that recently, its starting not to be sticky anymore. I'm not talking about tape which I've used before, but tape which is still new on the roll.

    What I'm referring to is when I now cut a new piece of tape from that same old roll, and try to stick it on something, after some time, it will start to fall off or unstick itself - this is quite strange considering that gaffer's tape is supposed to be strong.

    I used gaffer's tape to stick down some extra wires in the interior of my car, and by itself, I can see the gaffer's tape unstick itself even after a few days. There is no stress on the tape which may test the strength of the glue - its just a simple sticking on a surface.

    Anyone with similar experiences? Or does gaffer tape have an expiry date that must be used or else its no longer sticky.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: MO-ed Gaffer Tape No Longer Sticky?

    most tapes does have expiry dates, just not printed... its the glue either evaporates or loses its properties. mostly 1-2 years i think, its a gradual thing...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  3. #3

    Default Re: MO-ed Gaffer Tape No Longer Sticky?

    I used to have that problem, especially on stretched surfaces. The solution was to hold or clamp the tape in place first so that the adhesive has time to get a firm grip on the surface. Once the tape had got a good grip, it remained there firmly.

    Also, perhaps the length of tape that is exposed, may have its adhesive oxidised or some chemical reaction / ageing may have happened. That would render it to lose its stickiness. Solution would be to discard that length which was exposed.

  4. #4
    Moderator nightwolf75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    really MORE diaper changes
    Posts
    17,839
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: MO-ed Gaffer Tape No Longer Sticky?

    think there was a few posts b4 abt this. i remembered someone suggested using either the 3M brand or the brand called "Duck Tape" instead.

    fyi - yeah. i also faced the same problem with my gaffer tape. gave up taping my cam some time ago.
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed. ― Deeksha Mittal

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: MO-ed Gaffer Tape No Longer Sticky?

    Quote Originally Posted by nightwolf75
    think there was a few posts b4 abt this. i remembered someone suggested using either the 3M brand or the brand called "Duck Tape" instead.

    fyi - yeah. i also faced the same problem with my gaffer tape. gave up taping my cam some time ago.
    Tat brand Duck Tape, if u use, u prepare to clean until u siao when u remove... no joke... i was lucky i used it to tape my pedals to the floor and the tape stuck on it only... can't imagine if it stuck on the lens...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  6. #6
    Moderator nightwolf75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    really MORE diaper changes
    Posts
    17,839
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: MO-ed Gaffer Tape No Longer Sticky?

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt
    Tat brand Duck Tape, if u use, u prepare to clean until u siao when u remove... no joke... i was lucky i used it to tape my pedals to the floor and the tape stuck on it only... can't imagine if it stuck on the lens...
    DCA - would u believe me if i tell u i know...



    ... cos i used it once on my DSLR body b4...
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed. ― Deeksha Mittal

  7. #7
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: MO-ed Gaffer Tape No Longer Sticky?

    I thought that was so - which was why I intentionally tried to minimise the load on the tape - such as by making sure there was no stretching involved, making sure that there is no weight bearing on the tape. from my experiements it seemed that the tape, when stuck vertically unstretched, can't even bear its own weight! Much less stuck on the ceiling of the vehicle...that one confirm drop...

    I'll try your solution of letting the adhesive grip the surface first...but thats gonna be a littel hard in the interior of a vehicle or some other surfaces...perhaps I use scotch tape to stick the gaffer tape first...hahahaa...

    There is no length of tape that is exposed...it's all on the roll. Or are you suggesting that the outest layer is oxidised. If so, how many layers would I have to discard on the roll before using? Scarly all the way to the core also lidat :P

    Quote Originally Posted by laokayu
    I used to have that problem, especially on stretched surfaces. The solution was to hold or clamp the tape in place first so that the adhesive has time to get a firm grip on the surface. Once the tape had got a good grip, it remained there firmly.

    Also, perhaps the length of tape that is exposed, may have its adhesive oxidised or some chemical reaction / ageing may have happened. That would render it to lose its stickiness. Solution would be to discard that length which was exposed.

  8. #8
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: MO-ed Gaffer Tape No Longer Sticky?

    And you know what the funny thing is? Things which I have stuck before a long time ago remained stuck...(ie when I first bought the tape). However, now when using new tape from the old roll, can't stick anymore well. It sticks, but falls off after a while.

  9. #9

    Default Re: MO-ed Gaffer Tape No Longer Sticky?

    Quote Originally Posted by vince123123
    There is no length of tape that is exposed...it's all on the roll. Or are you suggesting that the outest layer is oxidised. If so, how many layers would I have to discard on the roll before using? Scarly all the way to the core also lidat :P
    What I mean is the length of tape that is outermost in the roll, ie at the circumference. That length is most likely to be oxidised when left unused for long.

  10. #10

    Default Re: MO-ed Gaffer Tape No Longer Sticky?

    with our famous singapore heat, the heat in ur car is even higher. probably the glue evaporate faster.

  11. #11
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: MO-ed Gaffer Tape No Longer Sticky?

    It was there for only one day before it dropped off. I can test at home if you are telling me that the heat is the issue.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lenscapes
    with our famous singapore heat, the heat in ur car is even higher. probably the glue evaporate faster.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: MO-ed Gaffer Tape No Longer Sticky?

    Quote Originally Posted by nightwolf75
    DCA - would u believe me if i tell u i know...



    ... cos i used it once on my DSLR body b4...
    wah u evil man.... u kena liao now u still recommend to others....
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  13. #13
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: MO-ed Gaffer Tape No Longer Sticky?



    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt
    wah u evil man.... u kena liao now u still recommend to others....

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •