Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Various films and slide for 35mm SLR

  1. #1

    Default Various films and slide for 35mm SLR

    Hi ,

    I am really a newbie in SLR film. All the while , i have been shooting SLR with films which could be obtained from supermarket. I realise that Kodak Max 400 is coarse in grain size. Then i also realise that from Fuji is only slighhtly better. I went to digital and then forgot about film. Now i am back to film after being frustrated by shutter lag. Thinking of investing in SLR again.


    1. Can someone tell me what are the various films and slide available?

    2. Please tell me about the rough price and how to send them to develop? Can we send it to normal shop to develope?

    3. Please tell about the characteristics of the films or slides?? (Advantage and disadvantage)

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    5,499

    Default

    come down to SEED this wed and ask around... will probably even have examples of the pictures to go with the film used.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Malaysia, PJ
    Posts
    120

    Default

    Hope you dont mind me piggy bagging your tread.

    Maybe there is a site out there that have reviews of all the print and slide for 35mm. So far I think only magazine has it.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Kit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Upper Bukit Timah
    Posts
    11,650

    Default

    Perhaps you can start by telling us what kind of shooting you're into. Better to give people an idea of what you shoot before any advice is given.

  5. #5

    Default

    Originally posted by Kit
    Perhaps you can start by telling us what kind of shooting you're into. Better to give people an idea of what you shoot before any advice is given.
    First, i am shooting protraits and landscape. I need to enlarge if possible and minimum is no graininess at 4R size, best also 8R.

    However, i am new to SLR films and slides. Definately, i would move along to shoot other stuffs. So i hope i could gather some informations on the various films and slides we could get in singapore so that i could choose in future. In addition, i am actually weighting the pros and cons of films/slides vs digital. I am thinking of investing in lens and body from scratch.


    please, just give info on what you know. Also informations on what type of films/slides are available is a very good start.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Kit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Upper Bukit Timah
    Posts
    11,650

    Default

    Originally posted by song


    First, i am shooting protraits and landscape. I need to enlarge if possible and minimum is no graininess at 4R size, best also 8R.

    However, i am new to SLR films and slides. Definately, i would move along to shoot other stuffs. So i hope i could gather some informations on the various films and slides we could get in singapore so that i could choose in future. In addition, i am actually weighting the pros and cons of films/slides vs digital. I am thinking of investing in lens and body from scratch.


    please, just give info on what you know. Also informations on what type of films/slides are available is a very good start.
    For landscape, Fuji Velvia for slides and Fuji Reala for neg. Both have very fine grain but are relatively slow films so you might want to consider using a tripod.

    For B&W, I go with Illford Delta 100 for its fine grains.

    I'm sure others can advise you on films for portraits.

  7. #7

  8. #8

    Default

    Originally posted by Kit


    For landscape, Fuji Velvia for slides and Fuji Reala for neg. Both have very fine grain but are relatively slow films so you might want to consider using a tripod.

    For B&W, I go with Illford Delta 100 for its fine grains.

    I'm sure others can advise you on films for portraits.
    So at what ISO are these films/slides available??

  9. #9

    Default

    Ian did a very good writeup here:

    http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthrea...&threadid=8933

    (Go to the last page).

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Behind a lens
    Posts
    2,312

    Default

    Actually, the preference of slide/film used is very personal...

    Normally, a photographer will have his own preferred film/slide...

    Read up on some of their site and they would probably stated somewhere what slide/film they used for landscape/animal/portarits etc.

    The best way to know which film/slide's result you like is to test it yourself...

    The more popular brand is Fuji, kodak and afga(spelling?). This is my observation after reading a number of site and books, with a slight more prefering on fuji...

    Then again, what they like may not be what you like...

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •