Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: what do u think of official photographers' etiquette?

Lightbulb Re: what do u think of official photographers' etiquette?

such stunt sure cannot lah if the PM is around. hehe!

Quote Originally Posted by yqt
    like this?

Default Re: what do u think of official photographers' etiquette?

Quote Originally Posted by reachme2003
    such stunt sure cannot lah if the PM is around. hehe!
    Errrr that's shot during the PM's visit
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

Quote Originally Posted by Belle&Sebastain
    how many cameras does the receiver and VIP need to look, if you do not need the photos dun get in the way.
    I will only shoot when I am a offical photographers, and I'll shout to them: "look here please, Sir/Mdm", make sure I have thier eye contacts, other can shoot only when I got the shoot I want.

What I don't understand is pokiemon means the offical photographer shooting side view, side view of face or body? If no eye contact, what's the point of shooting?

Lightbulb Re: what do u think of official photographers' etiquette?

serious? looks like the 'stunt' photographer determined to get the PM's attention. hehe!

Errrr that's shot during the PM's visit

like this?

Wa lao, like this can get killed man.

I still vividly remember the tomato juice at B1 @ Cineleisure when the guy fell from 3rd storey.

like this?

Whatever it takes.......hey, I tried that too but that's not me lar. Nowadays as you can see in some of those model babe shoot function thingy, they even bring a short ladder to get the BEST view available.

This shot is not surprise to me if it was a PM/Official shot. As long as you are the appointed OFFICIAL PHOTOGRAPHER, you must try every means and ways to get a shot where other press photographers can't get. Nothing wrong with what the photographer inside the photo.

Slightly off track here, but just remembering a wedding i shot just two days ago, where there was this zealous friend of the bride and groom shooting with a digicam.

As per normal there would be family portraits at different stages of the day and there he would be, eager to take the shot. at first i kinda told him to "excuse me", but after a while, i just decided, i'll just let him go first.

so after his shot, the group inevitably starts to disband, thinking the photo is over, but i haven't shot yet. so the couple notices this and tells everyone, "hey not yet!! jonathan hasn't shot the photo yet!" (seems only the couple can recognise who the "official" photographer is).

so this happens a few times, and i think i overheard at some stage of the day the groom telling the zealous guy to let me shoot first. they were getting tired of "falling in" after everyone "fell out" at the wrong time....

of course, as a press photographer, no such thing will happen, that the MP or celebrity will "pity" u and ask the non-officials to back up, but this is wat can happen if "kelefe" photographers get in the way. for me, i needed to get the shot, but i purposely demonstrated, without saying a word or doing any action, that the fella needed to seriously tame his zealousness.

side note: the guy was quite a nice fella, friendly and cheerful. other than his constant blocking, we had quite normal banter thru the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Pro Image
    Whatever it takes.......hey, I tried that too but that's not me lar. Nowadays as you can see in some of those model babe shoot function thingy, they even bring a short ladder to get the BEST view available.

This shot is not surprise to me if it was a PM/Official shot. As long as you are the appointed OFFICIAL PHOTOGRAPHER, you must try every means and ways to get a shot where other press photographers can't get. Nothing wrong with what the photographer inside the photo.
    yeah i would do that, but i think i'll leave my bag on the ground. my weight + my equipment's weight, i scared something untoward might happen.

My initial reading of this thread really boiled my blood due to the responses of the "Professionals" here (because of their arrogance), but I have to agree with the Official Photographer stance; simply put, the official photographer has a job to do, let him/her do it. I might be an amateur, but have been paid to do weddings and other events as the Official Photographer. But it does work both ways....

Generally speaking, the typical Singaporean is not courteous, considerate or smart enough to know when to give way. If you are NOT the official photographer, give way without having to be asked; if you claim to be a photographer (amateur, unofficial or otherwise), your powers of observation and perception should be very good, otherwise you are probably a crap photographer in the first place. Let's just turn the tables here for a moment; it is YOUR wedding and you have hired a photographer and the photographer can't get any good shots because of your friends. Well, you would be pissed off with the photographer (and not your friends) and your wedding memories are ruined.

But at the same time, the official photographers need to get off their high horses and show some courtesy too.

Honestly speaking, this thread really is not about the official/unofficial photographer thing, it is about general Singapore society. This exact same arguments put forth can easily be transliterated to Singapore driving and drivers.

I am so ashamed to call myself a Singaporean most of the time....so sad....
    Last edited by kennethw; 10th November 2005 at 08:31 AM.

i dunno how u drag the driving part in. if i follow the train of thought, means taxi drivers have right of way cos they are paid to drive?)

and this happens in other countries too, so i also dunno how u drag singapore or being singaporean, into this. besides, there are pple posting in this thraed who are not local, or weren't in sg and had such experiences...

i can't speak for all pros/officials, but wat HIGH HORSE are you talking about? this might not sound professional, but sometimes i'd rather be at home sippng coke-light in front of the TV than to shoot on that high-horse you talk about.

point is, we do it for a living, not to get a kick that we are "better" than others (assuming that's wat u meant by "high horse").
    Last edited by jOhO; 10th November 2005 at 08:38 AM.

hmmmm....I'm trying to side you Official Photographers, but you seem to be shooting yourself in the foot with the Taxi thing. So, if YOU feel that Taxi drivers are the professionals and we all should NOT give way, then you are also saying that we should shove the Official Photographers aside.

BTW, I was thinking more about Buses. In many countries, people automatically give way to buses as they pull out, but because they are bigger, but because it is the right thing to do. As for taxi's, I hate them anyway as the majority of them in most countries are overzealous idiots.

As for the high horse thing, you just demonstrated what I was saying.

Also, stop trying to play with the english language and twisting what I'm saying, you are not that good at it.

Quote Originally Posted by kennethw
    My initial reading of this thread really boiled my blood due to the responses of the "Professionals" here (because of their arrogance), but I have to agree with the Official Photographer stance; simply put, the official photographer has a job to do, let him/her do it. I might be an amateur, but have been paid to do weddings and other events as the Official Photographer. But it does work both ways....

Generally speaking, the typical Singaporean is not courteous, considerate or smart enough to know when to give way. If you are NOT the official photographer, give way without having to be asked; if you claim to be a photographer (amateur, unofficial or otherwise), your powers of observation and perception should be very good, otherwise you are probably a crap photographer in the first place. Let's just turn the tables here for a moment; it is YOUR wedding and you have hired a photographer and the photographer can't get any good shots because of your friends. Well, you would be pissed off with the photographer (and not your friends) and your wedding memories are ruined.

But at the same time, the official photographers need to get off their high horses and show some courtesy too.

Honestly speaking, this thread really is not about the official/unofficial photographer thing, it is about general Singapore society. This exact same arguments put forth can easily be transliterated to Singapore driving and drivers.

sometimes it's not really about ettiquette. sometimes you need a photo, and you need to be there to do it. shoving and all, it probably meant you got into his way... like many said, no re-take.

i recall when i was once the only photog for this huge event - there was lots of planning involved and even down to where i must stand to get the shots for this prize-giving ceremony - in fact my position was marked on the floor with masking tape even. there's no re-take, and i have to stand there since it was all planned for. then some other dude comes and jostles with me for the space - well, i simply told him to back off since i was official. of course i had the time to use my mouth to kindly excuse him out of the space, but there're situations when body language seems to be the only reasonable language - so he shoves you.

of course it seems rude to you, yes it does seem rude to me when he elbows people out and all that - on the one hand you can't really blame him. yah.

as for the taxi drivers thing, all i can say is... they speed, they elbow their way through the lanes, but the only difference is - it's not one take... they don't cut your lane, they can cut behind you, or two cars behind you, it's not going to make a hell lot of a difference.

for official photogs, you cut their lane, they miss the moment, there's no re-take. simple.

that said, instead of complaining here, open your mouth and speak to him politely next time, and i'm sure he will give a polite answer. if he snubs you, then THAT'S lacking ettiquette. lacking courtesy even. so yup, all the best in your future events shootouts.

by the way to the coward whom got my hp number and sent from an undisclosed location to say my works are not pro enough, thanks for making such an effort! Those whom also got the SMS, please PM me, i will spot the coward soon enough.

Its so clear which greek will go though such extent!

vince123123
    Guests

Hmm a little OT hor? hehe

Quote Originally Posted by Belle&Sebastain
    by the way to the coward whom got my hp number and sent from an undisclosed location to say my works are not pro enough, thanks for making such an effort! Those whom also got the SMS, please PM me, i will spot the coward soon enough.

Its so clear which greek will go though such extent!

Quote Originally Posted by Pro Image
    Yep that is absolutely spot on! I use to work as a photojournalist many years back. If there was any Tom, Dick and Harry comes in the way without any Press Pass you will get absolutely no chance to be even remotely close to us.

Nowadays, it is still the same. If I am covering an event as a Official Photographer and if anyone comes near me without asking permission to shoot for any event will surely kenna fire from me. Please take this as a lesson well learn from the official photographers.

Imagine if you are a the Official Photographer for an important event, you wouldn't want people like me to be standing next to you and keep annoying you. If you do not deliver, how is the client going to pay you? When it comes any events like this, it's always more difficult to handle as it's ONLY HAPPEN ONCE! You simply can't ask the person to hand the prize giving away again, right?
    Much has been said about official photographer's job, no pic = screwed, etc, etc. My cynicisms as a working photographer for such events goes beyond just folks getting in your way.

A little OT here.

Whenever I have a big event assignment to cover, there are some folks who are wearing Press passes yet at the same time not shooting/representing any editorial or publication. In other words, they're just using that pass to get close or bypass security. One very bad experience happened during a prize presentation by a big shot when this short chap who suddenly sprung out, went in front with a wide angle lens to cover the shots.

After the prize presentation, I saw the same chap going up to the organiser to give his namecard as well as showing them the shot he got on the DSLR's LCD. Obviously, he's trying to undercut the main photographers by selling the important shots for $$.

With things like these happening, it goes beyond just no shots=screwed by clients... I do get nasty with such folks when I'm paid to cover an event.

Quote Originally Posted by reachme2003
    serious? looks like the 'stunt' photographer determined to get the PM's attention. hehe!
    well, as so many have said here, he need to get the shot mah
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

Quote Originally Posted by 2100
    Wa lao, like this can get killed man.

I still vividly remember the tomato juice at B1 @ Cineleisure when the guy fell from 3rd storey.

Hahaha he got the shot and is alive and kicking.

Quote Originally Posted by kennethw

I wish it was so easy. When you are there to do it, it's another thing. As you can see, it's not that the "professionals" are not courteous but when you are the official photographer for an event, then suddenly this monkey blocks your path on the MOST IMPORTANT part of the event for the magazine byline. Ask yourself this question "What should I do, as I did not manage to capture PM Lee shaking hands with PM Badawi? "How am I going to explain to my boss/editor/chief photographer that there was someone block my view? Just put yourself as a official photographer, you will know the pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by bartman
    What if that guy is a "volunteer "offical" photographer"? Have anyone thought of that yet?
    Volunteer or not, if he's the official photographer he is expected to deliver results. At the end of the day, he has no excuse for not getting pictures that the client fully expects, even more so because he has the official pass.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast