Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: what do u think of official photographers' etiquette?

Blog Entries

Default Re: what do u think of official photographers' etiquette?

Quote Originally Posted by yqt
    OK, this happen at the PM's visit.

A1) There's this press photographer ( I've met seen him a few times ) and he ignore the bodyguard's insturctions and even went pass him when he's not looking to try to shoot the PM from 3 feet away. First the bodyguard forcefully pull him away from the PM. Than they warn him and put one of them on him. When he still want to do things his way, they call him aside ( he try to show his press pass ) during the most important part of the event and question him and took his particulars. I'm very sure they "timed" it on purpose.
    BTW, this is not the first time I've seen this guy act like he own the whole event. I was smileing away when he got call aside
    if u think dats 'bad', u shld have seen wat happened when PM visited my wife's school... if u look so much as cross-eyed at the PM, u'll get ur arse hauled out of the school by the bodyguards...
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed. ― Deeksha Mittal

vince123123
    Guests

Ah, any clues on who the perpetrator is? *wink*

Quote Originally Posted by yqt
    A1) There's this press photographer ( I've met seen him a few times ) and he ignore the bodyguard's insturctions and even went pass him when he's not looking to try to shoot the PM from 3 feet away. First the bodyguard forcefully pull him away from the PM. Than they warn him and put one of them on him. When he still want to do things his way, they call him aside ( he try to show his press pass ) during the most important part of the event and question him and took his particulars. I'm very sure they "timed" it on purpose.
    BTW, this is not the first time I've seen this guy act like he own the whole event. I was smileing away when he got call aside

Quote Originally Posted by pokiemon
    i looked at him and he just showed me his official pass as if i was some second class citizen.
    guess he isn't showing you he has an official pass.............he is asking you...... do you have an official pass to stand here.

Lightbulb Re: what do u think of official photographers' etiquette?

you are saying that in jest, right?

Quote Originally Posted by nightwolf75
    if u think dats 'bad', u shld have seen wat happened when PM visited my wife's school... if u look so much as cross-eyed at the PM, u'll get ur arse hauled out of the school by the bodyguards...

it's not those graduation stage where there are seats behind and everything is proper. it's those prize giving ceremony where people stand around in front of stage. yep. part of the committee. in fact we chose him.

it's not those graduation stage where there are seats behind and everything is proper. it's those prize giving ceremony where people stand around in front of stage. yep. part of the committee. in fact we chose him.
    Since you choose him, you should be more understanding right? Anyway, since you're in the org comm. than you should be able to judge if he did it on purpose from the photos? If you still think he's not right and the photos do not show what you want even after he was in your spot than let him know and next time don't engage his service.
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

i had to tap him on the shoulder and tell him to siam. but, by time time i was done, the moment was over. later i told my fren, in case he wondered how come i never got the shot.

sad to say, i really can't sympathise with pokiemon.
    haha u got balls! i never had anybody tell me to siam while i was shooting as the official photographer during a wedding...

vince123123
    Guests

He seems to be narrating an actual experience rather than making a hypothetical joke.

Quote Originally Posted by reachme2003
    you are saying that in jest, right?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123
    He seems to be narrating an actual experience rather than making a hypothetical joke.
    if reachme2003 think i'm joking, i'm not. it was the opening ceremony of my wife's school earlier this year. and, believe me when i said security was air-tight.... u know the usual - road leading to school sealed hours b4hand, bomb sweeps 2 days b4 the event and a few hours b4 arrival, only officially sanctioned photographer (u try pointing a hp cam and see wat happens...) etc... etc... the whole nine-yards. it was earlier this year right after a series of bombings overseas. i actually volunteered to be the photog for the school, free. lets just say, even tho i work for mindef, i was rejected... heaven knows why...

oh yeah. if u think PM's security is tight, wait till u see MM's....

gits - bo pian. the guy was occupying the prime real estate. but, dang. becos of him, i missed the final moments of the bride's entry. good thing my fren was understanding.
    Last edited by nightwolf75; 8th November 2005 at 07:23 PM.
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed. ― Deeksha Mittal

it was a prize giving ceremony. there was an official photographer standing in front of the stage. there were other photographers too and i so happen to stand next to him. during the ceremony he kept pushing me away from where i was standing and sticking his lens in front of mine to take the side view. i looked at him and he just showed me his official pass as if i was some second class citizen.

have any of you had the same experience and what do u think of such behaviour? does he have the right of space just cos he's the official photographer? i can understand he needs to feed his family...but still isn't there such a thing as encroachment of space???

yes, you should not be blocking him/her in the first place, they need the shot more than you do? they need to submit the shot, not you, so move aside for them.

Quote Originally Posted by gadrian
    Sorry.. I have to tell you. You are the kind of photographers I truly hate. Many many times while I am an official photographer, and I have to jostle with people like you, I get really really pissed. You are invading my working space.

And honestly, I am not very kind to people like you. I have clobbered a couple of people like you on the top of their heads with my lenses before, try knocking your head onto a 300 f/2.8 or 200-400.. its painful.

If you were jostling with press photographers, I can tell you.. expect a bruise or two, or more, or even be shoved till you end up falling down.

We make a living, and each shot is $$ for us, especially if you are talking about things like graduations, prize giving and/or weddings. Its a one time shot. We cannot ask them to represent the cert.

In such situations I also take case with the organizers. They should have better crowd control.

Even if I am a volunteer official photographer, I still have the space. I ahve shot many charity events as a volunteer official photographer. Once the organizers have appointed you as official, you have the pressure to deliver.

to say i nearly slap someone with my camera is just giving face, some 'very free' photographers just do not understand is bloody frustrating you WANNERBEES want to get in the way, because its just your personal enjoyment to capture, do you know that we need to deliever! the people taken wants to see the photos, the people hiring me wants to see it, the very free photographers just wants to block me!

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights
    This part I don't understand, a photo of price giving ceremony, the price receiver and the VIP should look at the camera. Why taking a side view and not asking them to look at the camera?

how many cameras does the receiver and VIP need to look, if you do not need the photos dun get in the way.

Lightbulb Re: what do u think of official photographers' etiquette?

these are routine security procedures prior to VVIPs' visit. try and figure the security measures in place at the Shangri la Dialogue(security event) eg. post box outside the hotel was sealed due to 'police operations', and entire team of SCDFs covering all eventualities were parked at the nearby school. this school was closed on a school going day for this purpose.

if reachme2003 think i'm joking, i'm not. it was the opening ceremony of my wife's school earlier this year. and, believe me when i said security was air-tight.... u know the usual - road leading to school sealed hours b4hand, bomb sweeps 2 days b4 the event and a few hours b4 arrival, only officially sanctioned photographer (u try pointing a hp cam and see wat happens...) etc... etc... the whole nine-yards. it was earlier this year right after a series of bombings overseas. i actually volunteered to be the photog for the school, free. lets just say, even tho i work for mindef, i was rejected... heaven knows why...

oh yeah. if u think PM's security is tight, wait till u see MM's....

gits - bo pian. the guy was occupying the prime real estate. but, dang. becos of him, i missed the final moments of the bride's entry. good thing my fren was understanding.

vince123123
    Guests

Again, I don't think you should be advocating that violence is the solution. You are giving people the impression that it is alright to bash non-official photographers up when they get in your way.

Quote Originally Posted by Belle&Sebastain
    to say i nearly slap someone with my camera is just giving face, some 'very free' photographers just do not understand is bloody frustrating you WANNERBEES want to get in the way, because its just your personal enjoyment to capture, do you know that we need to deliever! the people taken wants to see the photos, the people hiring me wants to see it, the very free photographers just wants to block me!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by reachme2003
    these are routine security procedures prior to PM, MM or SM's visit. try and figure the security measures in place at the Shangri la Dialogue(security event) eg. post box outside the hotel was sealed due to 'police operations', and entire team of SCDFs covering all eventualities were parked at the nearby school. this school was closed on a school going day.
    keke... been there done dat.

i think this topic can go on and on like celine dion's song. safe to sumrise - pls, give the official photog(s) space to work if u are a hobbist shooting for fun. but, as official photog, try not to resort to violence in getting those PITA move out of the way, yah?

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123
    Again, I don't think you should be advocating that violence is the solution. You are giving people the impression that it is alright to bash non-official photographers up when they get in your way.

nearly is different from doing it, i'm not advocating the violence, just that some people just dun get past their thick skulls.

As your day job (profession) you may indicate that i'm influencing others its alraight to bash someone up, no i did not indicate its right, i just say it nearly made me do it. Be mindful of your words.

tmc - how do u define obstruction? what you are implying is everyone should keep clear of the stage so that he has free access and not get in his way? ideally yeah but we know that is not possible. he had first choice of where to stand. i kept to my space and wasn't intruding. there should be respect for my work too.
    Excuse me, a photographer does not stand still in an event. An event you run, you kneel, you jump, you lie on the ground/railing and you run to get good shots. Whether you are in his way is another story.

Respect your work? I will leave this for others to comment about that.

If you can respect others first (if you are not the official photographer), then we talk about respect. My tone and approach may sound strong and harsh but in life this is reality. If I was there that day, my approach would have been the same too as the official photographer attitude.

Whatever angle he is at is his problem. As long as he has been hired, he will have to deliver the job, even if he standing at the most ridiculous position.

Case closed.

Quote Originally Posted by Belle&Sebastain
    To say I totally agree with you is the under-statement of the year

tmc - how do u define obstruction? what you are implying is everyone should keep clear of the stage so that he has free access and not get in his way? ideally yeah but we know that is not possible. he had first choice of where to stand. i kept to my space and wasn't intruding. there should be respect for my work too.
    ??? i do not understand, whatwork? why do you want to hire a offical photographer and block his way, is it part of your work? Please, who cares what great photos you take? Only the official counts and he has a thousand other photos of the event, who gives 20 cents what you have taken? He is not giving you a cut of his pay is he?

Quote Originally Posted by Pro Image
    Excuse me, a photographer does not stand still in an event. An event you run, you kneel, you jump, you lie on the ground/railing and you run to get good shots. Whether you are in his way is another story.

Whatever angle he is at is his problem. As long as he has been hired, he will have to deliver the job, even if he standing at the most ridiculous position.
    like this?

Last edited by yqt; 9th November 2005 at 10:21 AM.
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast