Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: what do u think of official photographers' etiquette?

Default what do u think of official photographers' etiquette?

it was a prize giving ceremony. there was an official photographer standing in front of the stage. there were other photographers too and i so happen to stand next to him. during the ceremony he kept pushing me away from where i was standing and sticking his lens in front of mine to take the side view. i looked at him and he just showed me his official pass as if i was some second class citizen.

have any of you had the same experience and what do u think of such behaviour? does he have the right of space just cos he's the official photographer? i can understand he needs to feed his family...but still isn't there such a thing as encroachment of space???

Default Re: what do u think of official photographers' etiquette?

The shoving and pushing was rude. I guess it's safe to say that a lot of people will see that as rude. But you said it yourself. He has to feed his family. He needs that angle. He is used to jostling and shoving to get the angle. He had been creamed for submitting shots that couldn't show the enough of the face while other photographers could.

The pass probably didn't grant him automatic rights of space, which is why he did the rude thing he did - fight for it.

Just trying to see where he's probably coming from. No offense

Etiquette is important, isn't that what makes them 'professional'? Not only the pictures they take.
    Afterall, he is the official photographer. Was he going out of his way to disturb your view? Looks like he was trying to get side view, and you happened to be in the way?

i would tend to give way to official photographers (if i'm not one myself ). they're paid to do the job and have to deliver. the pressure is different. why make it harder for them? but generally, they'll ask or at least make known what they need (i do the same too if i'm official.... will tell photographers that are standing behind my spot that i would block them in advance).
    Last edited by mpenza; 7th November 2005 at 08:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pokiemon
    it was a prize giving ceremony. there was an official photographer standing in front of the stage. there were other photographers too and i so happen to stand next to him. during the ceremony he kept pushing me away from where i was standing and sticking his lens in front of mine to take the side view. i looked at him and he just showed me his official pass as if i was some second class citizen.

have any of you had the same experience and what do u think of such behaviour? does he have the right of space just cos he's the official photographer? i can understand he needs to feed his family...but still isn't there such a thing as encroachment of space???
    Was he a pretty young looking guy with ah beng style? I kena once, this guy kept goin damn near with a wide angle ... as close as 1 to 2 ft from the subject's face! The rest of us went ... who knows I met him again in another event ... same thing he did! Must be some macro fan hor?

Btw, if you are not the official photog, it's best you 'auto' move away and let him do his work :P
    Last edited by ndroo; 7th November 2005 at 08:54 PM.

Absolutely nothing wrong. The photos at the end of the day is all it matters to him. If he missed the shot, that's it. No re-take. Simply he is PAID to do so.

Try shooting with press photographers. You'll know what i am saying.

Jon

well i kept within my space. each time he elbowed me i lose my composition. i brushed off the first few times but the subsequent ones were irritating.

Official comes before anything else.He has a duty.If he misses a shot, he gets screwed.Rest of us still go home and play with our PS right?
    We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities. - Oscar Wilde

well i kept within my space. each time he elbowed me i lose my composition. i brushed off the first few times but the subsequent ones were irritating.
    Think he should at least tell u nicely that you're taking the space he needs.

And if you're standing at the same spot doesn't mean that the space is yours. Ultimately, he needs to produce, and you don't have that pressure.

You shouldn't have been there in the first place... If you miss a shot or two, no big deal. If he misses a shot or two, no future jobs from this client.

Wai Leong
    ==

Simply put, it is his job to produce the pictures. Him being friendly or rude to you should be another issue altogether. Sometimes in the heat of action, one may not have time to say "excuse me".
    If you understand my works, it's photography. If you don't, it's art.
    SplutterPhotography|flickr

Maybe soon we see a thread about "what do you think of unofficial photographer's etiquette"

yeah maybe u shd try to udnerstand where he is coming from. it's his job and his career may depend on it. you were unofficial. and common understanding is that if youre not the official hired photog, then give way to the one who was hired to do it. yup.

hmm...if he was the official photographer he has the right of way. in my opinion your standing next to him constitutes obstruction. you were actually encroaching into his space.

when i am the official photographer, chances are there is also a official videographer. we give way to each other.

however, if there are other photographers blocking my way, i will normal say "excuse me".

eh...that wasnt your space to begin with... that was his space

you should be behind him with the other photographers.

I agree with all that the official photog has the right to fight for his space to capture the moment that everyone is seeking to capture, simply because he has to deliver as so many have put. I have been jostled out before at cousin's wedding, I wouldn't want to have ruined her wedding photos. As long as they dun suan you for having a smaller or less expensive camera, it's fine with me.

If I'm not the main guy, I will have the tendency to get out of his way while he works. If there's some 'interaction time' before the event starts, I'll just tok to him for a while, see his shooting style so I'll know where NOT TO stand. Afterall, he's paid to cover, u are not. He will lose his ricebowl if he misses 1 shot while u only hurt urself with a sore ego of not getting a shot u want.

Be considerate, stay out of the official photographer's place unless u have the full confidence that u can do his job BETTER den what he's paid to... for FREE.
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

What if that guy is a "volunteer "offical" photographer"? Have anyone thought of that yet?

volunteer still have to deliver mah...it is his reputation at stake...

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast