View Poll Results: What would u do in this case of indignity?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Swallow your pride, accept the humiliation. Accept the money and shoot for them. Money talks.

14 48.28%
  • I'd rather die den to shoot for him! I have my pride and artistic integrity to uphold!

15 51.72%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Between Artistic Integrity & Money

Default Re: Between Artistic Integrity & Money

Quote Originally Posted by ortega
    wah must be careful when you say "peanut" hor.

I will do it for "Singaporean Peanut"
    must only tahan the barking dog for a day.

after which go to the shops and feel better.

10K also can
    Current exchange rate
    1 Peant = SGD$600,000
    SGD$600,000 = USD$353,003.45

Sing$ juz went down to SGD$1.69 to USD$1
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

Sometime you tan chiak, can't be so particular, if you want to have character, be prepare to loss a job, anyway, this client or customer only be your boss just for one day.

Btw, sometime a lot of people think that self employ is good, be your own boss, but the true is whoever pay you money, all are your bosses.

I think most of us can reply to this thread with the luxury of an amateur who doesn't have to depend on the income from photography. We never know the hunger of a struggling pro. "Artistic integrity" whatever it means sounds like a big and beautiful word.
    Last edited by Sion; 7th November 2005 at 08:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet
    Nope! S$10K is not enough. S$250K, then we might be talking. And still I am not sure.
    might as well knock them off for a million and not see their face again

i would shoot for the money, i assume, from the way u put it, it's would be a huge premium to my normal charges.

but i'd also be interested, even tho this is hypothetical, how anyone can "coerce" me to shoot like he wants while, for example, being a groom on his wedding day. where got time to spoon feed the photographer?

honestly if he wants to tell me stand where, point wat, how fast shutter how big aperture how much iso how much focal length and does he want pan or still shot i would gladly be a robot for $300 an hour.

it's not an insult to my "art" or pride at all. i am not getting paid, in this instance, based on my artistic merits. i'm getting paid to follow instructions, why not for one day?

btw i didn't vote, becos there's no pride to swallow, or humiliation to bear. (so can't select the first one)

the second one is definitely out for me too.

aren't they paying you for what they want... not what you want?

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights
    Btw, sometime a lot of people think that self employ is good, be your own boss, but the true is whoever pay you money, all are your bosses
    And you are your own boss.

hmm....lets be realistic...if say they paying me alot.. then i dun mind....juz keep quiet and dun bother...

buten if its not...then i rather not do it....

well...if i were doing this full time i'd prob take the job...money is still pretty impt.... heng i not pro.... muahhahaha

Quote Originally Posted by jsbn
    An alternative view.

But den again, having ur pride and integrity being hit and slammed like a plaything. Being turned into an object of utter humiliation and the highest level of insults ever rained on u, 100 times, no, a thousand times more den what u'd faced in the worst scenario of ur working life....

For this sort of awful humiliation... u're willing to do it for ur loved ones?

Muz salute u for ur ability to bend backwards. I personally can't take this lying down.
    Rip these fellows and give them what they want( which is clearly way below your own artistic integrity).That's if you are able to put aside your feelings.Me?I'll just say no and tell them that their pathetic attempt plainly shows the inverse correlation between cultured behavior and their wallet.

But in the end, it's whether you are a full-time pro or just someone who has the luxury to walk away. I'll not begrudge those who choose to shoot for the money, because they have to put rice on the table.

It's about whether you are a professional or a hobbyist.
    Last edited by LazerLordz; 8th November 2005 at 10:44 PM.
    We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities. - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by LazerLordz
    Rip these fellows and give them what they want( which is clearly way below your own artistic integrity).That's if you are able to put aside your feelings.Me?I'll just say no and tell them that their pathetic attempt plainly shows the inverse correlation between cultured behavior and their wallet.

I factor emotional and intellectual elitism over financial.Money does not make you a fuller human being over night.

But in the end, it's whether you are a full-time pro or just someone who has the luxury to walk away. I'll not begrudge those who choose to shoot for the money, because they have to put rice on the table.
    any kind of elitism make us more snobbish, proud 4 wrong reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by jOhO
    i would shoot for the money, i assume, from the way u put it, it's would be a huge premium to my normal charges.

but i'd also be interested, even tho this is hypothetical, how anyone can "coerce" me to shoot like he wants while, for example, being a groom on his wedding day. where got time to spoon feed the photographer?

honestly if he wants to tell me stand where, point wat, how fast shutter how big aperture how much iso how much focal length and does he want pan or still shot i would gladly be a robot for $300 an hour.

it's not an insult to my "art" or pride at all. i am not getting paid, in this instance, based on my artistic merits. i'm getting paid to follow instructions, why not for one day?

btw i didn't vote, becos there's no pride to swallow, or humiliation to bear. (so can't select the first one)

the second one is definitely out for me too.
    my same thoughts, just smile when he/she barks $10 grand is cool, can offset rental and feed me meals.

please this is singapore, where got art in working in the creative industry? Hardly!

the only art is when you create your own or when your art director gives you free rein.

I very simple, dun think so deeply like u all.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Yeo
    I very simple, dun think so deeply like u all.
    mean what? take the money and just do it?

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights
    mean what? take the money and just do it?
    Or don't take and don't shoot?

Paul, sometimes u do speak in very deep circles and riddles.
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

I'll do it even if the pay is not very high if it is a commerical shoot.

As a working pro, if I've taken in this job, I have to do it at the price agreeded upon. It's not about the money nor about my pride, it's about how I behave as a pro. At the end of the day, how I project myself as a working pro will tell.

He/she can shout all he/she wants, say whatever he/she wants, it is how I responds to him/her that will tell at the end of the day. If I act like a robot ( as suggested here ) than I'm a robot. If I'm cowed by his remarks/behaviour than I'm a slave to his commands. But if I remain professional about the shoot and just take it that he's a hard client to please, than I'm a pro working with a diff client. Take it as a lesson, if there's another job from him/her, factor in the diff relationship between client and supplier. Make sure it is worth your time and effort to do the job or just don't work with him/her again. It's not about pride but about how professional I am in my job.
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

your poll lacks one option: "Depends on how much I am being paid."

pride has its price at times.

Quote Originally Posted by jsbn
    Some of us here are full working pros, some of us shoot for fun, some of us shoot for fun and an occasional event for the small bit of money to defray the high costs of our personal hobby.

Don't worry this is an anonymous poll! Choose the answer which best answers ur heart.

Scenario
    Someone wants u to shoot for them, a wedding or a product for example. They're rich and they have an attitude towards u. And whatever u shoot, they put it down like was some low-life art and tell YOU to shoot in such and such a way to the point where u no longer recognise the photo as YOUR WORK and a piece of art but rather a piece of nonsensical crap which u swear that a 3yr old kid holding a point-&-shoot disposable camera can do better.

What would u do?

Not a problem. Give the customer what he wants. I will take the money and shoot for them.
    By the way, what makes you think that your artistic interpretation is the correct one?
    What if they are right and many years later you voluntarily agree that your previous artistic ideas were crap ? You are a Pro, right? Pros do not impose their own idea of art on their customers.

Basic 101.

The customer is always right. You may be good at what you do, but at the end of the day they are the ones who are going to sell the product and they want it their way as advised by their marketing team.

Quote Originally Posted by sORe-EyEz
    any kind of elitism make us more snobbish, proud 4 wrong reasons.
    Maybe I wrongly phrased that..
    We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities. - Oscar Wilde

If I am not wrong, photographers these days normally took many shots. This is partly due to the fact that the end product is usually a collaborative effort of the photographer and the client. Hence, I don't see why we should get upset over it. If this is not acceptable, be a hobbist. Only a hobbist gets the luxury of shooting what he wants. Most of the time, if the photographer can give what the client wants, there is no reason why the client will get worked up and start humiliating the photographer. The photographer probably feels humiliated because his views are not respected instead. No doubt crazy clients do exist in this world. But since they are crazy anyway, what has it got to do with ourselves being a photographer? At the end of the day, is the money worth doing the job as the most important question. Therefore, professionals have to charge a high fee for they are prepared to handle crazy clients and not because all the jobs are challenging.

I love talking nonsense.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast