Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: No tripod allowed at Raffles Hotel?

vince123123
    Guests

Default Re: No tripod allowed at Raffles Hotel?

Quote Originally Posted by yowch
    But why do you want to make the guard's blood boil?

Suppose you have just installed new marble floor, and your friend came to your house and started putting up the tripod...

Hotels are private properties.
    I think they were talking about lining up outside the hotel to shoot

And hotel designs are copy protected to the architect/hotel owner. If we take wedding/modelling/commercial photos there because of the nice decor/architecture/scene, we need to seek consent.
    Taking a photograph of a building (whether commercial or otherwise) does not infringe the copyright in the building.

Yup, I know, so when the guards do their duty, we line up and irritate them?

Yeah, I also strongly believe and will argue that taking photos of buildings from outside does not infringe on the copyright of the building. But I suppose wedding or modelling pictures would probably be taken within the premises, which will on private property.

vince123123
    Guests

Don't have to argue, its statutorily provided for in the Copyright Act.

Yup, I know, so when the guards do their duty, we line up and irritate them?

Yeah, I also strongly believe and will argue that taking photos of buildings from outside does not infringe on the copyright of the building. But I suppose wedding or modelling pictures would probably be taken within the premises, which will on private property.

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123
    Yet another case of a building with their own rules.

If you are outside (I'm assuming outside means totally out of the hotel grounds, including driveway, pickup points etc), they can't stop you. If they try to stop you, ask them what is their "basis" for stopping you.

If they say "its hotel policy", ask them: does your internal "hotel policy" extend to areas OUTSIDE the hotel and cover what people do on the roadside as well?
    Yeah, that reminds me. In 2003 I was involved in a North-West district video-marathon, and was supposed to capture a couple of moments in Woodlands, so I thought the scenery outside the Civic Centre (the sunset actually) will be great, but this security came to me when I setup my tripod and told me that the area I am standing is within the private commercial grounds.

I did not know a Civic Centre, apparently houses the CPF and HDB offices, is a private commerical ground.
    Last edited by Slivester; 10th November 2005 at 09:10 AM.

vince123123
    Guests

Then you ask him where does the private grounds end and then you set up your tripod outside and shoot in.

Quote Originally Posted by Slivester
    Yeah, that reminds me. In 2003 I was involved in a North-West district video-marathon, and was supposed to capture a couple of moments in Woodlands, so I thought the scenery outside the Civic Centre (the sunset actually) will be great, but this security came to me when I setup my tripod and told me that the area I am standing is within the private commercial grounds.

I did not know a Civic Centre, apparently houses the CPF and HDB offices, is a private commerical ground.

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123
    Then you ask him where does the private grounds end and then you set up your tripod outside and shoot in.
    I wasn't quite aware then about all those sort of complications about jurisdiction, but my companion and I persist a very polite and reasonable explanation (we actually just filming the sky), and he got the entire situation, wishes us well in the marathon, and left.

We are in school uniform anyway, so I thought the most he calls up the school.
    Last edited by Slivester; 10th November 2005 at 09:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by reachme2003
    with this info, i cannot determine conclusively whether you are on their property of not. the point here is if you are not on their property, go ahead and shoot with a tripod or not. if obstructed or stopped by the guard/s, call the police for assistance there. do not leave the place and lodge a police report later. call for police there and wait for them to arrive. let's see who is right.
    i was standing on the rock filled driveway so i guess that's part of their property?

Quote Originally Posted by Canonised
    Actually the hotel's policy of no tripod within the private area is understandable. Who is going to be responsible if the tripod accidently causes hurt to their guests or anyone who happens to be in the premise? What if the tripod accidently drops and breaks the tiles or marbles or glass, etc... To us the probability is very small but it IS possible.
    When one is seen taking photos with tripod at the carpark, there is bound to be others thinking that they can bring in a tripod into the hotel, garden, etc...
    Anyway I have been to Raffles regularly and I find the staff there are reasonable and very friendly to anyone, young or old, rich or poor, any race, etc... Kowtow to the management!
    While I was a guest in a 5-star hotel in Shanghai, I was rudely stopped by a staff to STOP any photographing in the lobby (which is really simple and plain). The reason is that other guests (who may be VIPs) will not like it.... I accepted the explanation readily (which is reasonable).
    i fully understand that so that's why i was standing outside..like in the open and tripod was on the rock/pebble driveway away from the direction of any moving vehicle. so ya..the staff who approached me wasn't rude in any way, i just feel that it's weird i wasn't allowed to take a pic outside of the hotel using a tripod.

Quote Originally Posted by lurgee
    i fully understand that so that's why i was standing outside..like in the open and tripod was on the rock/pebble driveway away from the direction of any moving vehicle. so ya..the staff who approached me wasn't rude in any way, i just feel that it's weird i wasn't allowed to take a pic outside of the hotel using a tripod.
    Just my $0.02 worth..... maybe its just that you cannot take pic using ripod in that area cos cars may hit your tripod and your camera may smash into the guest's car and scratch their car in the process. and Since in the busy are of the hotel there is no place where you can safely place your tripod, and asking you to place your tripod on the pavement outside the hotel may result in you complaining to the management about the security asking you to stand in an unsafe spot should your equipment get damaged or pedestrians get hurt. So to make this long story shot, they just say "sorry no photography with tripod" Short and sweet......

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123