Thread: What are the odds of off the shelf lenses with fungus?

Default What are the odds of off the shelf lenses with fungus?

Hi all,

Just curious if anyone had ever purchased a lens new with fungus in it.

I recently purchased a lens from one of the more established local retailer.(It was at night) Glass appears clean and alright..Didnt give it much though since I thought purchasing from a local retailer was a form of assurance.

Fast forward 2.5 weeks till today, it was only when I viewed my lens under the blazing hot sun that I noticed this white spot reflecting light back at me. It was at the corner of the lens. Upon scrutinising, it does seem to be a small fungus spot, was really difficult to spot it. At certain angles or sometimes even when pointing my phone's torchlight at it, the glass actually looks clean and alright. Is this something to be alarmed about?

Default Re: What are the odds of off the shelf lenses with fungus?

Where do you store or put yor lens last 2.5 weeks as fungus growth are exacebated by ideal moisture and temperature and it can do wonders overnight.

Our climate is very humid, average humidity is around 60%, and some time can go up to 80 or even 90%.
    most camera stores are in a air con environment, air con are turn on for more than 14-16 hours a day, so the humidity is lower than 45% most of the time, very unlikely fungus will grow on lenses even lenses are put on display.
    however, in a non air con environment, if you leave your camera untouched, fungus will just grow easily.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

anyway, you want to be 100% is that a fungus spot, just bring it to service centre to let the technician to check.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Lens was stored in dry cabi at 40-45% RH most of the time. Probably only once or twice I came home and dropped dead that the equipment was not kept.

Nonetheless, would definitely bring it to service centre. Thanks!