Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Need advice : interiors shooting

Default Re: Need advice : interiors shooting

Quote Originally Posted by Eng Hoe View Post
    Just to offer my views:

1. I agreed with astroboy that a rectilinear ultra wide lens is important. You want to get the lines as straight as possible (without barrel/pincushion distortion). Some of the kit lens, like the Sony 16-50, has too much distortion (although it is corrected by the camera), and 16mm may still be not wide enough (for living room, big hall etc).

2. When come to lighting, there is a lot more knowledge to pick up. built-in flash is not useful at all. Power is too low to lit up the space. You will need external flash for the power and off-camera mounting (mount externally on a light stand). You may also need softbox to diffuse the light.
    Thanks for the tips again. After testing out the cameras n re-read again the spec. I will be going for nikon D5500 as its newer compare to canon d700. However i am not sure whether should i get from those local camera store..retail selling @ 1k+ yet they r selling around 750..not sure whether is it real or fake product..was told that they gave shop warranty..:| anyone has any advice on this?

Quote Originally Posted by Spark Sue View Post
    Thanks for the tips again. After testing out the cameras n re-read again the spec. I will be going for nikon D5500 as its newer compare to canon d700. However i am not sure whether should i get from those local camera store..retail selling @ 1k+ yet they r selling around 750..not sure whether is it real or fake product..was told that they gave shop warranty..:| anyone has any advice on this?
    Retail shop as in courts or harvey norman?

If it's shop warranty, it's probably a grey set (parallel import) set which usually is cheaper by about $200. The man difference between the grey and "normal" sets is the warranty.

Some folks dun buy grey sets due to fear that shop does not honour the shop warranty. While some get the grey sets because they feel that the savings is woryh the "risk" that the camera won't need parts servicing wothin the year.

It depends on what makes you feel comfortable.. if by paying $200 more puts you at ease, just get the local warranty set.
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

Quote Originally Posted by SkyStrike View Post
    Retail shop as in courts or harvey norman?

If it's shop warranty, it's probably a grey set (parallel import) set which usually is cheaper by about $200. The man difference between the grey and "normal" sets is the warranty.

Some folks dun buy grey sets due to fear that shop does not honour the shop warranty. While some get the grey sets because they feel that the savings is woryh the "risk" that the camera won't need parts servicing wothin the year.

It depends on what makes you feel comfortable.. if by paying $200 more puts you at ease, just get the local warranty set.
    Retail shop as in those camera shops. (Not @ simlim.) The shop located @ Concorde Hotel - was walking along the orchard recently and went in.
    Ic, but once the warranty is over - are we able to send in for servicing @ the nikon service centre? Or they will reject it's consider grey set.

Yup, $200 is alot since it will burst my budget. Will have to really consider to take the risk to get it or maybe have to get 2nd hand then.
    Thanks for the advice @skystrike - at least I know what I am getting a real one instead of the fake one which I saw online. swapping the camera inner parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Spark Sue View Post
    Retail shop as in those camera shops. (Not @ simlim.) The shop located @ Concorde Hotel - was walking along the orchard recently and went in.
    Ic, but once the warranty is over - are we able to send in for servicing @ the nikon service centre? Or they will reject it's consider grey set.

Yup, $200 is alot since it will burst my budget. Will have to really consider to take the risk to get it or maybe have to get 2nd hand then.
    Thanks for the advice @skystrike - at least I know what I am getting a real one instead of the fake one which I saw online. swapping the camera inner parts.
    Don't have to worry about NSC not servicing your camera. Bros here have sent their grey sets to Nikon and get it fixed too.

As for the swapping camera inner parts, don't think it will be done on the entry models... probably not worth the trouble as comparing to swapping the higher end FF models. (Think i saw a thread on this many moons ago on this topic, I heard it's quite troublesome just to even change the "label", have to change the casing etc.)

** btw, if the 2nd hand cost as much as a grey set, I'll take my chances with grey set.

*** As for the $200, it's just like insurance... if nothing bad happens, it's 'wasted' money.
    Last edited by SkyStrike; 19th April 2016 at 11:56 AM.
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

Quote Originally Posted by SkyStrike View Post
    Don't have to worry about NSC not servicing your camera. Bros here have sent their grey sets to Nikon and get it fixed too.

As for the swapping camera inner parts, don't think it will be done on the entry models... probably not worth the trouble as comparing to swapping the higher end FF models. (Think i saw a thread on this many moons ago on this topic, I heard it's quite troublesome just to even change the "label", have to change the casing etc.)

** btw, if the 2nd hand cost as much as a grey set, I'll take my chances with grey set.

*** As for the $200, it's just like insurance... if nothing bad happens, it's 'wasted' money.
    Thanks again for the reply. I was comparing with D760 again since a bro highlight to me that D700 is not possible to compare since it's 2013 model.
    What I need to highlighted is that the bro give me a very important advice - DSLR photography is buying into a system, not a single camera
    I eventually wanted to go for Nikon D5500 after the comparison with Canon D760 but when he told me about this, will re-think on this and see which is better as a system. If canon is the way to go - I guess I will go for canon 700D (Can't compare with Nikon D5500 but it's within my affordable range.. or maybe I will just wait till D760 drop slightly or 2nd hand then)

Thanks again for the reply though.

I would suggest you check out the recommended shops in Funan (probably soon before it closes for renovations), prices there are definitely lower than the recommended retail prices and come with local warranty. Some shops off my mind are TK Foto, SLR Revolution and Click! Cameras, or Cathy Photo in nearby Peninsular Plaza. Then you can also check out Artworkfoto they should carry grey sets and compare. (I don't have personal experiences but I heard about being careful with the camera shops fronting Orchard Road =p)

Canon 700D / 750D and Nikon D5500 are in the similar price bracket and prices should be around there. Canon 760D has the mostly the same internals as the 750D but it has a few more external controls so a bit more expensive. Canon 700D is older but I don't think there are great differences in capabilities compared to the newer 750D (though that means you probably can get 700D at lower 2nd hand prices since it's not the 'newest' anymore heh...)

If you read the various reviews you will find that Nikon D5500's sensor is slightly better, but Canon does have the affordable but good ultra-wide angle lens EF-S 10-18mm... though you can get third party lens like the Sigma 10-20mm for both Canon and Nikon at a slightly higher price.

In the end it boils down to which camera control functions and menus you are more comfortable with. And only with using it for some time then you know what works for you, what are the limitations and what upgrades, if any, are needed

Quote Originally Posted by thoongeng View Post
    I would suggest you check out the recommended shops in Funan (probably soon before it closes for renovations), prices there are definitely lower than the recommended retail prices and come with local warranty. Some shops off my mind are TK Foto, SLR Revolution and Click! Cameras, or Cathy Photo in nearby Peninsular Plaza. Then you can also check out Artworkfoto they should carry grey sets and compare. (I don't have personal experiences but I heard about being careful with the camera shops fronting Orchard Road =p)

Canon 700D / 750D and Nikon D5500 are in the similar price bracket and prices should be around there. Canon 760D has the mostly the same internals as the 750D but it has a few more external controls so a bit more expensive. Canon 700D is older but I don't think there are great differences in capabilities compared to the newer 750D (though that means you probably can get 700D at lower 2nd hand prices since it's not the 'newest' anymore heh...)

If you read the various reviews you will find that Nikon D5500's sensor is slightly better, but Canon does have the affordable but good ultra-wide angle lens EF-S 10-18mm... though you can get third party lens like the Sigma 10-20mm for both Canon and Nikon at a slightly higher price.

In the end it boils down to which camera control functions and menus you are more comfortable with. And only with using it for some time then you know what works for you, what are the limitations and what upgrades, if any, are needed
    Noted with thanks. I did went to funan last friday but it's always too late as I off work quite late. I guess I have to take some time off earlier to check out the store. Noted on the camera shops advice too.

Yup I was looking at the cameras - it's seem that Nikon D5500 win down on all selected Canon cameras based on specs and picture quantity (700D / 760D / 750D) plus it's slightly cheaper compare to the 760D / 750D - now is whether should I go ahead with the Nikon and stick with it and prepare to spend abit more for those lens that suitable for interior shots.

Thanks again for the infos.

Yeah most shops in Funan are closed by 8pm...

If you have to go Orchard area maybe you can try IPhoto at Lucky Plaza level 1, look for Raymond. I went there only 2 times I think last year, he's a nice knowledgeable guy recommended by a friend, but I haven't went there since and also cannot remember their opening hours. I remember they sell local sets

Just let you consider some points (though probably will confuse the issue heh...)
    1. I find Canon's interface / default settings more 'friendly' for first time users, though if you spend some effort getting to know your cameras you can make most cameras work for you
    2. As the professional astroboy has pointed out, Canon currently has the best selection of Tilt/Shift lenses, like their TSE 17mm as far as I know nobody else makes it that wide (and there is no easy way to adapt Canon lenses to Nikon). Then again when you are ready to get that lens you have to upgrade to full frame to take advantage of it anyway hehe...
    3. Remember to budget for a dry cabinet and tripod as well, probably will cost a bit more than a hundred dollars each for acceptable low end ones. And maybe a flash

Happy shopping and start shooting

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123