Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Old Lenses

  1. #1

    Default Old Lenses

    I was figuring a fleasible way for me to get a decent lens, yet not spending too much. My provision for camera expenditure is getting lesser and lesser ( an immediate effect of O levels ), and I desperately wants a new lens to supplement my kits lens, the EFS 15-55mm.

    By the way, I am using Canon EOS 300D.

    So this came to my mind: What about getting those old manual lens (most probably used), get a converter or something (pardon me, I am noob in this field)? I know there might be lost of functionalities, and problems that may arise, but is this fleasible and economical compared to getting a modern Canon mount lens (even if used)?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    3,350

    Default Re: Old Lenses

    It might be helpful to know what lens you wish to buy to supplement your kit lens. By itself, it is actually already a useful piece of equipment, but do you want to replace it with something else, or buy something wider...or longer? What types of photographs are you planning to shoot?

    Also, what's your budget? There are plenty of good lenses selling second-hand in the B&S forums, and they don't cost exhorbitant amounts of money. An old manual lens may be cheaper, but you'll need to consider if it'll be enjoyable to use in the long run. Buy something that you're comfortable with, otherwise you won't enjoy the hobby.

  3. #3
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Old Lenses

    there are old AF lenses to consider as well

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    2,504

    Default Re: Old Lenses

    why would you want an old manual lens?

    waht range are you lookin for anyway? the kit lens already provides a useful range of 28-90mm equivalent.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    sing
    Posts
    3,353

    Default Re: Old Lenses

    Quote Originally Posted by Isaiahfortythirtyone
    why would you want an old manual lens?

    waht range are you lookin for anyway? the kit lens already provides a useful range of 28-90mm equivalent.
    I want.
    Anyone feels they have no use for their old manual lenses, especially Leica, Hasselbald, Carl Zeiss can pass them to me. Better still if 35mm F1.4 Aspherical or 180mm APO.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    2,504

    Default Re: Old Lenses

    get a 28-105mm 3.5-4.5 USM. around $200 2nd hand. decent lens for the money.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Singapore, CanonGraphers.org
    Posts
    3,157

    Default Re: Old Lenses

    Quote Originally Posted by Isaiahfortythirtyone
    get a 28-105mm 3.5-4.5 USM. around $200 2nd hand. decent lens for the money.
    so cheap meh?...I think ard $300.....

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    2,504

    Default Re: Old Lenses

    hehe in the past got ppl sell at $220. now studiolabmaster selling MK1 version for $250. only that daviddino sells at $480

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Singapore, CanonGraphers.org
    Posts
    3,157

    Default Re: Old Lenses

    Quote Originally Posted by Isaiahfortythirtyone
    hehe in the past got ppl sell at $220. now studiolabmaster selling MK1 version for $250. only that daviddino sells at $480
    yeah...but the price is really worth the money...great piece of lens.....

  10. #10
    Moderator nightwolf75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    really MORE diaper changes
    Posts
    17,867
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Old Lenses

    Quote Originally Posted by Slivester
    I was figuring a fleasible way for me to get a decent lens, yet not spending too much. My provision for camera expenditure is getting lesser and lesser ( an immediate effect of O levels ), and I desperately wants a new lens to supplement my kits lens, the EFS 15-55mm.

    By the way, I am using Canon EOS 300D.

    So this came to my mind: What about getting those old manual lens (most probably used), get a converter or something (pardon me, I am noob in this field)? I know there might be lost of functionalities, and problems that may arise, but is this fleasible and economical compared to getting a modern Canon mount lens (even if used)?
    depending on which old canon lenses u're referring to. any of the EF-mount lenses can be used on ur 300D. however, if u're referring to the much older FD-mount canon lenses, then u can't use it on a 300D. dunno if there's a FD to EF mount converter tho... also, using manual lenses means u cannot meter from ur lenses.
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed. ― Deeksha Mittal

  11. #11

    Default Re: Old Lenses

    Quote Originally Posted by nightwolf75
    depending on which old canon lenses u're referring to. any of the EF-mount lenses can be used on ur 300D. however, if u're referring to the much older FD-mount canon lenses, then u can't use it on a 300D. dunno if there's a FD to EF mount converter tho... also, using manual lenses means u cannot meter from ur lenses.
    Oh alright, thats something I learned now. I saw some online store selling FD-EF converter - out of my budget, and like what you mentioned, FD work so much differently.

    I was thinking of getting a lens with further range, like a 70-300 kind, and also I am very interested to start portrait photography. This second lens I am getting will most likely a supplement, as said before; I will use my kit lens for primary uses.
    Last edited by Slivester; 9th November 2005 at 01:36 AM.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Old Lenses

    I have this vague uncertain query lingering in my head: Manual lens such Canon's FD mounts have sort of an entire different mount, and I read that the diameter of the mount is much smaller. So is it worth it?

    So maybe FD is off my list, I don't want to spend so much on learning or on a converter just to get an used lens to work, and to at last realise I could be suffering, as what fWord said.

    My budget is probably around $100 to $200 for a start. I may be picking up a job or 2 in December.

    Anyway guys, thanks for those new concepts and advices.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    2,504

    Default Re: Old Lenses

    get a 2nd hand Sigma APO DG macro 70-300mm. around $230-$250.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Central
    Posts
    295

    Default Re: Old Lenses

    There're FD-EF convertors, but you lose all metering capability, and of course, it's not autofocus. You also lose 1 f/stop, if i'm not wrong... FD lenses are also NOT cheap, contrary to belief, nor are they easy to find. Go get some cheap EF lenses instead. Or, you can go find some compatible sigma or tokina lenses.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Old Lenses

    Quote Originally Posted by tingchiyen
    There're FD-EF convertors, but you lose all metering capability, and of course, it's not autofocus. You also lose 1 f/stop, if i'm not wrong... FD lenses are also NOT cheap, contrary to belief, nor are they easy to find. Go get some cheap EF lenses instead. Or, you can go find some compatible sigma or tokina lenses.
    Hey thank you for that advice, and yeah like I said before, I came to realise its not too economical anyway hehe.

    And so I am looking for second-hand EF mount lens for now.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Old Lenses

    Quote Originally Posted by Isaiahfortythirtyone
    get a 2nd hand Sigma APO DG macro 70-300mm. around $230-$250.
    Definitely part of my wishlist for now.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Singapore, CanonGraphers.org
    Posts
    3,157

    Default Re: Old Lenses

    Quote Originally Posted by Slivester
    Definitely part of my wishlist for now.
    go for that one..it better than the canon 75-300mm

  18. #18

    Default Re: Old Lenses

    get a prime

    100 f2 USM

  19. #19

    Default Re: Old Lenses

    Quote Originally Posted by user111
    get a prime

    100 f2 USM
    Haha, and I can hear my wallet screaming really loudly.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •