Thread: Storage of Lens

Default Storage of Lens

Was wondering if i use those clear wrap that my mum uses to keep fish fresh in the fridge and wrap my camera lens for long storage will it help prevent fungus and so on? Just as an alternative only

Default Re: Storage of Lens

there will still be humdity around, it wont absorb by the wrappers.

Well-intended, but I wouldn't recommend it. It is unlikely that such a wrapping will prevent the entry of moisture. Moreover, it may actually 'seal in' the moisture and basically enbalm your lens in it. That's what the wrap is meant to do. Also, the wrap may degrade over time or melt into a goo, damaging your lens.

Don't make the same mistake as me by saving money and buying a dry box. Buy a proper dry cabinet with a self-regulating dehumidifier. A small one will cost you only $99. Get a bigger one for under $200.

A dry box is not sufficient?

Back in my Dad's time, all he used for his equipment was a moderately sized dry box and silica gel within. Didn't even have a hygrometer to measure the humidity. He just trusted that everything will be fine.

Most people these days will err on the side of caution and get something more reliable than a dry box and silica gel. The dry cabinet is self-regulating and should ensure more stable levels of low humidity than the dry box would. Of course, if you open either of them, you'll let in fresh air and everything is back to square one. But I reckon the dry cabi will drop humidity faster than silica gel.

Another way to look at it: if you're going to spend thousands of dollars on equipment, it would do well to spend a small sum on something to ensure it lasts. Personally, I think lenses will grow mold if you keep them in the dark for too long. So it pays to take them out occasionally for some use. When storing in the dry cabi, someone also advised me to take off the lens caps (but not the back caps) and situate the dry cabi in a place where there's some indirect light, and good ventilation. Don't put it in a pitch dark place.

think abt this, if u use dry box, u probably need to spend like 50 + to get a decent size dry box, and u need to buy and change silica gel very frequent. so u incurr higher maintenance cost .

dry cabinet will cost u slightly more for the initial investment and it consumes abt 1 buck electricity per mth (as per the shop seller). and u are almost free from all the trouble to monitor the humidity.

Hi,
    Sorry for OT abit. How about during travelling? for example trip for 15 days. Do we need to worry about that?

Quote Originally Posted by SLee
    Hi,
    Sorry for OT abit. How about during travelling? for example trip for 15 days. Do we need to worry about that?
    Try staying in a dry air-conditioned hotel. For real KS, double Zip bloc bag with silica adds to dryness, Useful if the place is wet and humid one.

If not, keep equipment dry and out of the camera bag when in the hotel room. Keep air con on.

Fungus spores takes 18 hours to germinate - and it need a moist dark place. So use your equipment often - and get it out of the bag during the day.

Watch out for condensation - if your glass is cold, allow it 'warm up' before getting it out of the bag.

Most important - use AW bags.