Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Nat Geo Channel Photo Competetion

Default Re: Nat Geo Channel Photo Competetion

Quote Originally Posted by aperture
    If they want to profit from it, I am perfectly ok. For me its just getting the exposure and hopefully get some recognition from it if my pics are selected (not very like though ). If I ever reach a stage where my pics command value (again not very likely ), then I will not be looking at competitions like this in the first place.
    they may win u a price or 2 but even if its of great value u wont c d $$. oh well, go ahead & submit. u wont b d oni 1.

i was once like u submitting pics jus 2 win a prize. i guess any1 who has a digicam & taken pics 4 a length of time 1s 2 submit pics 2 try win some prizes. i m out of tt phase of trying 2 win 2 feel gd.

at d end of d day d oni obvious winner is d organisers & those who exploit submitted entries 4 a profit.

Quote Originally Posted by sORe-EyEz
    they may win u a price or 2 but even if its of great value u wont c d $$. oh well, go ahead & submit. u wont b d oni 1.

i was once like u submitting pics jus 2 win a prize. i guess any1 who has a digicam & taken pics 4 a length of time 1s 2 submit pics 2 try win some prizes. i m out of tt phase of trying 2 win 2 feel gd.

at d end of d day d oni obvious winner is d organisers & those who exploit submitted entries 4 a profit.
    No lah...you got me wrong. Its not a matter to win to feel good. Of course anyone who wins will feel good...no one can contest against that. But its more to validate my own work and have it judged in a competition.

Quote Originally Posted by evershine
    Though the terms and condition did not mention that the photos submitted must be taken by Nikon camera, do you think that is implied?
    Yes, I was reading the T&T too - no mention that Nikon equip must be used - my lens aren't Nikon hmm......

Quote Originally Posted by aperture
    No lah...you got me wrong. Its not a matter to win to feel good. Of course anyone who wins will feel good...no one can contest against that. But its more to validate my own work and have it judged in a competition.
    oic, but lolz, dun bother la. as long as u like wad u take its well validated ler. dun let rich & greedy corps rip u off 4 wad most CSers view (me incl.) an exploitative competitions.

oic, but lolz, dun bother la. as long as u like wad u take its well validated ler. dun let rich & greedy corps rip u off 4 wad most CSers view (me incl.) an exploitative competitions.
    Thats true too...photography is about yourself. As long as you enjoy your pics, its the greatest gift. However in photography, whether we like it or not, it also about taking pics that will "touch" others. No point I like my pics but other folks find them uninteresting (happens to me lots of time ). Especially true for those who are charging for their service, if ur customers don't like your pics not matter how great they are, then we are not doing our job.

Quote Originally Posted by foxtwo
    If Nikon decides not use your images till in 10, 20, 30 years time, YOU will have to wait 35, 45, 55 years in order to profit from that same image(s) (whether for another contest or should another publication desire to obtain reproduction rights, and PAY for that same image).
    I think there's a workaround for this. As long as it's not exactly the same image, for example you take the same objects with different exposure setting or if you take it at slightly different angle, I mean as long as it's not exactly the same image file, you can always sell the same picture to others.

In the end, its like a raffle isn't it (which is what i said right from the start).
    You can take 50c and go and buy a lottery ticket. This might give you a chance to win $10,000,000 or nothing at all. Either ways, that 50c belongs to S. Pools now. On the other hand you could leave the 50c in the bank and perhaps one day do something with it. Notice i said perhaps, since the 50c might either stay in the bank or you might lose it. It might also be the start to a very successful business venture. All sorts of possibilities exist.
    Similarly, currently, one has to assume you photo is not worth much (ie 50c) since if it was u'd sell it and not use it to join a competition. You can chose to keep it, and the possibilities are endless. Or you can chose to enter the raffle and possibly make an immediate return on it. Again, its about how you want to 'spend' your photo.
    Most of us have lots of photos lying around that are brilliant. But no one will ever buy them from us anyway simply because there are even more brilliant people around. Competitions help give our collection exposure. You need to get spotted first. No one is going to pay you $1/print until they know what you are capable of doing. Joining competitions help to ease the cost of publication which can be quite hefty (try doing your own exhibition). commercial interests will always contact you for more photos if they think you're up to par. No one will want to buy the image from nikon since it will be an image already associated to nikon by the time they see it. Everyone is gaining from this really. Including yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by szekiat
    In the end, its like a raffle isn't it (which is what i said right from the start).
    You can take 50c and go and buy a lottery ticket. This might give you a chance to win $10,000,000 or nothing at all. Either ways, that 50c belongs to S. Pools now. On the other hand you could leave the 50c in the bank and perhaps one day do something with it. Notice i said perhaps, since the 50c might either stay in the bank or you might lose it. It might also be the start to a very successful business venture. All sorts of possibilities exist.
    Similarly, currently, one has to assume you photo is not worth much (ie 50c) since if it was u'd sell it and not use it to join a competition. You can chose to keep it, and the possibilities are endless. Or you can chose to enter the raffle and possibly make an immediate return on it. Again, its about how you want to 'spend' your photo.
    Most of us have lots of photos lying around that are brilliant. But no one will ever buy them from us anyway simply because there are even more brilliant people around. Competitions help give our collection exposure. You need to get spotted first. No one is going to pay you $1/print until they know what you are capable of doing. Joining competitions help to ease the cost of publication which can be quite hefty (try doing your own exhibition). commercial interests will always contact you for more photos if they think you're up to par. No one will want to buy the image from nikon since it will be an image already associated to nikon by the time they see it. Everyone is gaining from this really. Including yourself.
    Agree with you and aperture. To each his own, no right or wrong whether one should submit his photos or not.

I've read sooooooooo many competition's T&C in singapore and all include something along this line. Not to take sidese here but can the organisers publish or exhibite ur photos without having your rights?

I understand the hobbist's point of view. Once I would have been happy just to participate, show my work, judge myself amongst peers and hopefully win something. But I slowly learnt what these t&c meant and I have started feeling my works are worth much more than what I would be giving them up for. It was never an issue with me on whether it is an absolute wrong to agree to such t&c and none of my posts have suggested on that. Unfortunately because of the way the discussion have drifted I have veered off tangent to my orignal purpose.

My disgruntlement is that Nikon shouldn't have stooped so lowly on marketing tactics to obtain images. In the end, if they like what they see, they can still ask the photographer for permission to use their images. Then whether you want to give them for free or for a sum is entirely up for discussion. Exposure and concerns as mentioned by Szekiat can still be achieved, but there is just more control for the photographer, as opposed to it being out of your hands.

There are, and have been, competitions that allow the photographer to retain full rights after the competition. I cannot see why an international professional photography equipment supplier can fail to reinforce this important detail. I like to believe that we have friends in high places, but Nikon's decision to support the current trend of free images is a severe blow in attempting to change the way photographers can protect ourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by dts_spawn
    I've read sooooooooo many competition's T&C in singapore and all include something along this line. Not to take sidese here but can the organisers publish or exhibite ur photos without having your rights?
    The organisers can just state the right to exhibit your work at such and such a place at such and such a time. The right to publish your work can be stated in another point that states the publication name and the period of time.

These t&c are not set in stone and can be changed.

Quote Originally Posted by foxtwo
    These t&c are not set in stone and can be changed.
    change 2 their wimp & fancy?

change 2 their wimp & fancy?
    If I were to organise a photo competition, instead of this t&c we see so often,

"The contestants agree to assign all intellectual property rights of the photos submitted to XYZ. As such, XYZ will have full rights to the pictures usage for any above and below-the-line marketing activities and any other activities. ",

I could use the ones in my previous post. That's what I mean it's not set in stone.
    Rights are written to suit one's purpose, hence it can be re-written.

Don't forget that the rules apply to all images submitted, whether you win or not. In other words, you may not win the prize, but the organiser would have a thousand images to use at their disposal. They don't have to put your name next to the photo, and even if they do, how would anyone know it's YOU if lets say you have a generic name? In other words, they could happily use your photos for any situations and get away with paying royalties. For instance, product brochure, notepads, banners, screensavers, etc.

Also, being a contest, one would try to submit THE BEST photo, so could you bear to surrender the rights of the photo which you feel is THE BEST when you could have deployed it for other more direct commercial benefits, e.g. stock photos? Imagine someone knocking on your door one day telling you:"I like this photo, can I pay you to use it?" Then you say:"Oops, I gave it to xxx contest."

The benefits of using the photos with no royalties outweigh the few thousand dollars spent on prizes. You cannot imagine the amount spent for these organisations paying for IP rights, and a simple contest with a blatant T&C saves them decades of royalty payment.

Quote Originally Posted by edward1
    I think there's a workaround for this. As long as it's not exactly the same image, for example you take the same objects with different exposure setting or if you take it at slightly different angle, I mean as long as it's not exactly the same image file, you can always sell the same picture to others.
    Take two different files, or just do some bracketing and PS.
    We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities. - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by LazerLordz
    Take two different files, or just do some bracketing and PS.
    its such a hassle entering photo competition these days , & de organisers still get free images in d end.

hey im only 14....but wana join...but compitions say 18 n above.....is it illegal to take someone else to send in my pic?

haha. good point. probably not. Can ask your parents to join i guess. My dad does it for me on an on and off basis for stuff like montage and safra comp. Easier for them to contact him then to contact me with the 8hr time difference!

Quote Originally Posted by pianodancer
    Don't forget that the rules apply to all images submitted, whether you win or not. In other words, you may not win the prize, but the organiser would have a thousand images to use at their disposal. .

Confirm that even though our submitted images dun win anything, they are now the property of the organizer? I understand if the images win n they want to use it royalty-free but those that didn't win, oso kena given 'free'??

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123