Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nat Geo Channel Photo Competetion

Default Re: Nat Geo Channel Photo Competetion

Quote Originally Posted by oeyvind
    The contestants agree to assign all intellectual property rights of the photos submitted to Nikon and NGC. As such, Nikon and NGC will have full rights to the pictures usage for any above and below-the-line marketing activities and any other activities. In addition, winners may be requested to participate in public relations events tied to the campaign to generate press coverage of the contest and the accessories range. This may include, but not be limited to, quotes given for inclusion in press releases and press conferences, interviews, etc.
    There is still the issue of moral rights and the law of passing off. What this simply means is that they get to use your photos royalty free. They are still not allowed to use it in a way that may be deemed de-meaning, like using it for toilet paper etc, or modify your works and still call it yours. Last but not least, they are obliged to have to at least give you a byline, quoting the source of the photo. IE, they still have to credit you for it.

Quote Originally Posted by szekiat
    There is still the issue of moral rights and the law of passing off. What this simply means is that they get to use your photos royalty free. They are still not allowed to use it in a way that may be deemed de-meaning, like using it for toilet paper etc, or modify your works and still call it yours. Last but not least, they are obliged to have to at least give you a byline, quoting the source of the photo. IE, they still have to credit you for it.
    ARE YOU SURE? Anyway, with rules like this... bad deal.

Just wondering, how many of you are still going to submit pics for the competition even after all this debating? For most hoobyists, pics sit in the comps and do nothing, so I dont see why not submit it and try your luck. You can say that its exploitation, but who doesnt do it? we all exploit each other to a certain extent.

Quote Originally Posted by TMC
    Just wondering, how many of you are still going to submit pics for the competition even after all this debating? For most hoobyists, pics sit in the comps and do nothing, so I dont see why not submit it and try your luck. You can say that its exploitation, but who doesnt do it? we all exploit each other to a certain extent.
    great attitute, bravo...

Quote Originally Posted by szekiat
    That is so but there is still no reason how Nikon finds it justifiable to own your photograph till the end of mankind. They should have set a good example by leaving all rights with the photographer, but instead Nikon are showing the way that if they can get away with not paying for royalties then any tom dick and harry company can also hold a photography competition with the same t&c.

Tim, i'm quite sure about the IP stuff (reading it off a law text actually). Also, they don't really own your photo till the end of mankind. Think its for 25yrs in SG, its 20yrs in UK, this is from the date of first publication. Remember that in partaking in a competition, they are asking for your photo in exchange for a chance to own the prizes. It is only unfair if they then do not award the prizes at all, and they will award them. You took a chance, its kinda akin to buying a lottery ticket. You exchange your money for a chance to get more money. SPools gets your money whether you win or not. In this case, it is a lottery for a camera and the cost of which is a photo. If you feel your photo is worth more than the prizes, then you're free not to join. Royalties are 'paid'
    On a more serious note, i think most of us will be happy just to get credited by Nat Geo! What will nikon or nat geo gain from organizing a competition when they will then have to pay you for the photos. There's no such thing as a free lunch in this world unfortunately.

i'm rather confused over the qualifying entrant...

Qualifying Entrants
    1. The contest is open only to residents and permanent residents (who are 18 years or older as of 1st November, 2005) of Nikon Hong Kong Ltd.(Regional marketing Centre) targeting these area: Afghanistan, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Brunei, Cambodia, China, Egypt, Hong Kong SAR of China, India, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Macau, Malaysia, Maldives, Mongolia, Myanmar, Nepal, New Caledonia, Oman, Pakistan, Papua New Guinea, Philippines, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Sri Lanka, Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, Vietnam and Yemen.
    how would you interpret it?
    Mythbusters - the bigger the explosion, the better it is.

If you win something and happy with the prizes fine, the rules however states that ALL IP rights are to be assigned to them by entry... means thye can actually use the competition itself to get rights-free images for future use—this has happened before and will continue to happen.

Credited by Nat Geo? Where did they say they need to credit you? And pls see here:

http://www.editorialphoto.com/resources/startingout.asp

Then again, one has the right to ignore their own rights as well.

P.S. If you need to address me personally, pls use the PM... thank you very much!
    Last edited by oeyvind; 7th November 2005 at 09:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mohgui

My interpretation: the organizers don't take this competition serious enough to bother to write a coherent sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by mohgui

Yeah, confusing. " residents and permanent residents of Nikon Hong Kong Ltd...." Can anyone enlighten us?

I will still join. for the simple reason that its the organiser's turf here. They probably won't exploit your image till the end of mankind, and I do trust these 2 organisations to have some etiquette to showcase and use the images in a proper and professional manner.

The clause might be a bit overbearing, but it is just to protect their arses in case some whack photographer sue them over some misrep on the presentation of their art.

as before. if you don't like the rules, lemme win the D50. I never had a digital cam - phone, or big big one.

Anyone bored enough (like me) out to read the Berne Convention on IP which sg is a signatory of. http://www.wipo.int/treaties/en/ip/b...ocs_wo001.html
    Its under article 6 i believe. Clarifies a lot of things.

I retract my phrase "... all of mankind." So Nikon ends up owning your photograph for the next 25 years from 1st publication. If Nikon does use the images, excatly how many reproductions can you imagine being published till their rights cease? Even if you charge a measly $1 for each reproduction, how much money could you potentially make? If Nikon decides not use your images till in 10, 20, 30 years time, YOU will have to wait 35, 45, 55 years in order to profit from that same image(s) (whether for another contest or should another publication desire to obtain reproduction rights, and PAY for that same image). Here it is Nikon receiving the free lunch. If someone wants your work, charge them a fee. This is beyond what the Berne or IPOS control, this is about you being able to make potential money off your images through selling reproduction rights, exclusive or not.

Many many hobbists, and I trust no serious photographer, would not mind giving away their images in exchange for a name and an ego boost. But you show no respect to your work/artistic talent/time by giving them away so freely.

For Stefen and any others, yes I disagree with the t&c and I will never enter a competition/exhibition that states those terms.
    Last edited by foxtwo; 8th November 2005 at 06:02 AM.

Talking Re: Nat Geo Channel Photo Competetion

Quote Originally Posted by foxtwo
    For Stefen and any others, yes I disagree with the t&c and I will never enter a competition/exhibition that states those terms.
    Yay! I hope the whole world think like you!

Then I can get my hands on a free D50 with lenses and flash! Woo hoo.
    Heck, they might just give the other prizes too, since I will be the only cuckoo to agree to such sucky terms right.. yay! D50..
    RH

On a furthernote, because Nikon would own full copyrights for the time being. Should any interested party want to reproduce that image(s), they would be requesting from Nikon, not the photographer. And you can be sure that, unlike some of you, Nikon would not be giving the image(s) away for free, for $1, and certainly not even at the cost of a D50 + lense. They would conduct business at the market rate and making money from your image(s). And if after 25 years, your image(s) is still in hot demand, then I truely applaud your photographic talent, but regret over your business sense.

I figure that's not a big deal to some, 'cos you feel winning a prize (if you are lucky) and getting your name mentioned (if ever published by Nikon) is reimbursement enough.

For me its just a matter of getting the exposure. We all have to start somewhere if we one day hope to be someone "known" in the photography industry. This presents an opportunity in my opinion, not a hindrance or exploitation. At this point in time, I try not to be too concerned with the fine prints. If they exploit me now, at least I know I am heading in the right direction in terms of style and technics.

Nikon and NG are big organizations in the industry, especially NG they have pros working for them. I don't think they need this kind of thing to get free images.

tis is how d rich get richer!

credit cannot even buy lense cap ler...

4 those who still submit pics, go ahead & contribute 2 their wealth at ur own expense. i cant stop u anyway.
    Last edited by sORe-EyEz; 8th November 2005 at 12:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by aperture
    Nikon and NG are big organizations in the industry, especially NG they have pros working for them. I don't think they need this kind of thing to get free images.
    IMO, its a "can get free pics, mayb profit from it" issue.

Quote Originally Posted by sORe-EyEz
    tis is how d rich get richer!

credit cannot even buy lense cap ler...

4 those who still submit pics, go ahead & contribute 2 their wealth at ur own expense. i cant stop u anyway.
    Expense = 0 for me cause the pics are already in my hard disk anyway. 99.9999% of them will continue to remain there for the rest of their miserable lives .

Quote Originally Posted by sORe-EyEz
    IMO, its a "can get free pics, mayb profit from it" issue.
    If they want to profit from it, I am perfectly ok. For me its just getting the exposure and hopefully get some recognition from it if my pics are selected (not very like though ). If I ever reach a stage where my pics command value (again not very likely ), then I will not be looking at competitions like this in the first place.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast