Thread: telephoto zoom or pixel count more impact?

Default telephoto zoom or pixel count more impact?

While comparing between 2 cameras, I was pondering, say camera A has high MP count and a average telezoom, while camera B has average MP count but has a powerful telezoom lense. If I needed lots of fine details in a telephoto, which would be a better choice? assuming light conditions and setup are both similar, except for the 2 factors mentioned? anyone ever had this sort of though to find out? I havent got the equipments to test it (wish I do!)

a general idea (sum up the scenario above) would be:
    a large 12mp photograph of a house with a garden around it, compared to a crop of the same house, both at same "size" but without the garden around it because taken with a lower MP camera with bigger zoom lense. which has better quality and details? assuming both camera has same quality lense built, etc (i know its not possible, but assume it is )

Thanks...

Default Re: telephoto zoom or pixel count more impact?

Quote Originally Posted by michhy
    While comparing between 2 cameras, I was pondering, say camera A has high MP count and a average telezoom, while camera B has average MP count but has a powerful telezoom lense. If I needed lots of fine details in a telephoto, which would be a better choice? assuming light conditions and setup are both similar, except for the 2 factors mentioned? anyone ever had this sort of though to find out? I havent got the equipments to test it (wish I do!)

a general idea (sum up the scenario above) would be:
    a large 12mp photograph of a house with a garden around it, compared to a crop of the same house, both at same "size" but without the garden around it because taken with a lower MP camera with bigger zoom lense. which has better quality and details? assuming both camera has same quality lense built, etc (i know its not possible, but assume it is )

Thanks...
    Smhow i think that its an issue of whether the lens or camera sensor is better ba... Take for eg... U use a Canon 1Ds Mk II and u take a pic using a mediocre lens... If u go and crop... the pic is going to be v poor due to the poor resolving power of the lens... Sharpness and colour may also not be there if the lens CMI... Contrast it... U use a L tele lens and a 300D which has lower mpix... The picture is definitely going to be better due to the sharpness delivered by the L

i think lens quality will play a role in this calculation. if both the lenses are of comparable quality-
    divide the larger telephoto focal length by the smaller one. you will get a multiplication/crop factor. use that crop factor to calculate the effective area used in the sensor of the one with lesser zoom. find out the number of pixels in the effective area and compare with the pixel count of the sensor with fewer pixels but larger zoom lens.

of course this is pure measurebating and lot of other factors will affect image quality- sensor quality, pixel size, lens quality, imaging algorithms etc. etc.

The glass, my friend, will foot the most impact. DOF will be your most considerable factor.