Thread: how many shots?

Default how many shots?

Curious but was in sentosa island yesterday for leisure with a friend (and brought camera along, as usual). It was a cloudy day and thus the sky had a shady cast, with colourful clouds. Took around 20+ shots of a "sunset" (planning to fake it later in post processing, it was only 5pm). Off-loaded all pics into computer later at night, realize out of 20+ shots, only ONE can actually be used and worth keeping.

I usually get 1 worthy photo in around 5. So just curious. what about you guys? do you keep all your shots, or selectively? Do you post-process all of them? How many takes do you usually perform on a single subject?

Thanks

p/s: saw 2 guys with SLR-like cameras in Sentosa yesterday on a photo-spree (saw them shooting flowers near the beach as well), each carrying a camera bag as well. was it any of you from CS?
    Last edited by michhy; 4th November 2005 at 10:34 AM.

Default Re: how many shots?

Quote Originally Posted by michhy
    Curious but was in sentosa island yesterday for leisure with a friend (and brought camera along, as usual). It was a cloudy day and thus the sky had a shady cast, with colourful clouds. Took around 20+ shots of a "sunset" (planning to fake it later in post processing, it was only 5pm). Off-loaded all pics into computer later at night, realize out of 20+ shots, only ONE can actually be used and worth keeping.

I usually get 1 worthy photo in around 5. So just curious. what about you guys? do you keep all your shots, or selectively? Do you post-process all of them? How many takes do you usually perform on a single subject?

Thanks
    better than mine... out of my 6k+ pics from my DSLR, none i keep... i haven take that 1 pic i am looking for...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

wah! 1 in 5 quite pro liao.. i also shot thousands.. and only like 5-6 of them.

Maybe should start using film SLR so that ppl won't be shutter happy

Quote Originally Posted by drumma
    wah! 1 in 5 quite pro liao.. i also shot thousands.. and only like 5-6 of them.
    EH, pls dont be sarcastic. I'm not that good. Just keeping the photos that I like. Nothing that worth selling or such! I'm just curious to see how each of you take photos...

If u can get 20% good photos, it is very good. I think on the average around 10%. Many factors come into play. It is nothing surprising if get 0% good photos.

Kept most of my shots.. Usually 90-95% of them. Usually perform 1 or 2 take on the same subject at the same angle.
    -Express yourself not in words-
    http://www.majere2sg.com

All your hit rate so high ya.
    Film i got 1 in 36
    DSLR 9% only.

1 in 5 is 20% very good already.

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt
    out of my 6k+ pics from my DSLR, none i keep... i haven take that 1 pic i am looking for...
    if you are serious, then maybe there's something wrong with your approach?
    6k+ shots and not ONE you keep?

i'm not being sarcastic. i'm serious. if ur hit rate is 20%, quite high and compared relatively actually. (perhaps u want to do a poll on other ppl's hit rate too.)
    if u talk bout keeping shots, i do keep mine.
    but talking bout shots which i seriously like, or shots which i consider nice at least, it's very little.
    and yah, my photos are also worth nothing selling and such.

Sometimes taking many shots is not just about machine gunning. In some fields like fashion, photographers may shoot up to 10 rolls and end up just choosing just 1 pic. Afterall, all the pics may be good, but sometimes good just ain't enough if you are picky about stuff. I find this especially true for portraiture expressions which are hard to grasp exactly.
    If you understand my works, it's photography. If you don't, it's art.
    SplutterPhotography|flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Splutter
    Sometimes taking many shots is not just about machine gunning. In some fields like fashion, photographers may shoot up to 10 rolls and end up just choosing just 1 pic. Afterall, all the pics may be good, but sometimes good just ain't enough if you are picky about stuff. I find this especially true for portraiture expressions which are hard to grasp exactly.
    Oh I think that reminded me of something in the past.
    Was choosing a photo for submission to a user group photo challenge. Cant really decide which "good" photo (my personal low criteria) to submit.... it can also get tough if you shot too many "good" photos!

curious, what do you all do with non-keepers pic? delete them?

Quote Originally Posted by michhy
    if you are serious, then maybe there's something wrong with your approach?
    6k+ shots and not ONE you keep?
    Actually it was Ansel Adams who said that your pictures only begin to make sense after more than 10,000 exposures!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Yeo
    curious, what do you all do with non-keepers pic? delete them?
    yup. I just delete them, unless I have no other shot of the scene/subject, and i utterly must have a shot of it, i'll compromise and keep it anyway

Quote Originally Posted by student
    Actually it was Ansel Adams who said that your pictures only begin to make sense after more than 10,000 exposures!
    i dont think many of us even listens to everything our teachers or parents tells us, lol but thanks for the point to ponder