Thread: A6000 OR OM-D E-M10

Talking A6000 OR OM-D E-M10

Hi all,

Would like to seek advise on which mirror less would be more suitable, a6000 or E-M10.

Main usage would be travelling, landscape.

Read some reviews about both but could not make a decision as both had it pros and cons.
    One key difference is the aps-c sensor vs micro 4/3 sensor
    However, currently Olympus having promotion with 3 lens in the package which I felt will be beneficial for a beginner like me? As what I read is, lens selection for sony is not that comprehensive and much expensive.

Would appreciate all feedback/opinion from the expert here.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Starryy View Post
    Hi all, Would like to seek advise on which mirror less would be more suitable, a6000 or E-M10. Main usage would be travelling, landscape. Read some reviews about both but could not make a decision as both had it pros and cons. One key difference is the aps-c sensor vs micro 4/3 sensor However, currently Olympus having promotion with 3 lens in the package which I felt will be beneficial for a beginner like me? As what I read is, lens selection for sony is not that comprehensive and much expensive. Would appreciate all feedback/opinion from the expert here. Thanks
    Why would you feel that the 3 lens package will be beneficial for you? What are you looking for in this camera?

I felt is more beneficial as the lens goes from 16mm to 105mm giving more variety and option as compare to a6000. Maybe also "more the better, more value" mindset. My usage is mostly during traveling.

What will you be using it for in your travels? Photos with family? Landscapes? Etc. There are many other things to filter in for photography, especially if you have a limited budget. I'm referring to tripods, filters etc.
    And you must be prepared to learn about manual controls and framing if you're just getting into photography.

Default Re: A6000 OR OM-D E-M10

I'm not sure what are the 3 lens in the package that you are referring to... but I'm pretty sure that on a casual trip, you may not want to keep spending time switching lens here and there.

That said, if the price package for Olympus looks attractive to you, just get it, you actually won't know what you will really use unless you have it for a prolonged period of time. e.g. after spending 6mths to 1year and you will know what range suits you better. It's kinda "better" than getting a 16-50 then keep thinking of, I wish I have a longer lens etc.

As for the lens selection. I'm very sure that both company have enough lens for you to use at this stage. Both covers the general purpose standard range from ultra wide to telephoto.
    Regarding the price of the lens, it's not necessarily true. As both Oly and Sony have lens at different price range.
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

Thanks rainduet for your reply. I would consider those stuff u mention.

Thanks skystrike for the reply. The 3 lens included in Olympus package is 14-42mm,40-150mm, 45mmF1.8. Yeah i too agree that I would be bringing all 3 lens overseas but was thinking more worth with the 3 lens thus seeking advise from the experts here.
    Noted about the lens selection. Thanks for sharing that, at least I could take away lens selection off my criteria.

For travel, Olympus em10 is pretty compact which is good. If you are just starting out I think em10 3 lens set offers enough features and allow you to play with different focal length.

I brought em10 and the 14-42 kit lens for a turkey trip 2 years back. It is small and light .. So it is always with me and doesn't weight down my trip ... basically it is just fun to travel with ... the digital filters that comes with em10 is pretty useful if you want some interesting effects.

One thing to note, EM10 high ISO don't really perform well. Personally I would not go beyond iso 1600 for jpeg and iso 3200 for raw.

Some pics taken by the camera and the 14-42 lens.
    Cat by Dsolz, on Flickr

To Cappadocia - Turkey by Dsolz, on Flickr

Safranbolu - Turkey by Sunny, on Flickr
    Last edited by DSolZ; 21st March 2016 at 02:48 PM.

Hi Starry,

Based on your usage, I believe E-M10 would be beneficial for travel.
    For landscape, both are OK.

I felt is more beneficial as the lens goes from 16mm to 105mm giving more variety and option as compare to a6000. Maybe also "more the better, more value" mindset. My usage is mostly during traveling.
    Unless its 16-105 in 1 single lens. If not. Believe me ornot. It takes certain passion and discipline to bring more than 2 lenses out for shooting.

Bringing it out is a problem and using it is also another problem. I know of many whom just buy because they also think " more the better " Then later its either they dont bring them out or they bring but once at the scene..they got lazy to change the lens therefore nv used them at all. But of course, If buying or having them is what you want then by all means. It's totally fine. Nothing wrong. But just think it's good to let you know.

Of course there are also people who bring everything and use everything. For people who just starting out. I always recommend either just 1 basic zoom kit lens or a single lens that cover from wide to tele. Then slowly you can explore further if you're still interested.

As for which camera to go.. it's really up to you..best is you can go hands on them yourself. Lens selection yea.. Maybe a problem to some but if what you need. Is already there.. then honestly who cares about other lenses.. my 2 cents.

The longer the zoom range the more optical compromises have to be made and the more distortions need to be corrected in post processing (easily done these days).
    Another point: look at the maximum aperture of such zoom lenses. Less light means you need to compensate in other ways: ISO, shutter speed.
    Whether these points are relevant depends on what you are shooting. Still objects in daylight will not pose any problems, moving objects can. Low light situations definitely will.
    EOS

Interesting choices.

EM-5 with the 14-150mm kit lens is a good all-in-one for travel. Light and weather-sealed match.
    Else EM-5 with the 12-40mm Pro should cover most travel angles.
    If you want to do large prints then the APS-C would be a factor to consider.
    Not to knock the EM-10, but just consider if weather sealing is worth paying for travelling.

Thanks all for the reply!!

@Dsolz : Nice photo!!
    @TwMilkTea: The 16-105 is not a single lens. I too believe i wont bring 2 lens overseas but like u say, i got the "more the better" mindset HAHA.

@Bluesubm6 EM-5 is over my budget, the price i got is like 1K different from Em-10.

I am currently leaning towards A6000 but still waiting for any nice promotion or more freebie.

Now that you've made a choice, go for it.

I am currently leaning towards A6000 but still waiting for any nice promotion or more freebie.
    I wouldn't count on freebies. Mostly items which are either of low value (simple, cheap tripods) or you will buy them anyway later once you know what you need. Focus on the body and lens instead.
    EOS

http://www.qoo10.sg/gmkt.inc/Mobile/...code=422023596

Perhaps this make your decision easier?

BTW EM5 M1 is super affordable. Just saw a second hand body sold for 250 SGD yesterday night.

EM5 M1 and EM10 M1 has pretty similar sensor performance. For someone starting out, EM5 would be excellent value if budget is a constraint to you.
    Last edited by DSolZ; 23rd March 2016 at 05:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    I wouldn't count on freebies. Mostly items which are either of low value (simple, cheap tripods) or you will buy them anyway later once you know what you need. Focus on the body and lens instead.
    Note octarine. I mean I not counting on freebie to help me decide which to purchase. Just waiting for the right time when got promotion or freebie to buy a6000 since I not in hurry to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by DSolZ View Post
    Perhaps this make your decision easier? BTW EM5 M1 is super affordable. Just saw a second hand body sold for 250 SGD yesterday night. EM5 M1 and EM10 M1 has pretty similar sensor performance. For someone starting out, EM5 would be excellent value if budget is a constraint to you.

I don't really like to buy from qoo10 or online web especially if is an expensive item. Maybe I more conservative. But is a great discount!

Thanks all for the comment and feedback! Decided to go for the A6000! Love the feel of it when playing ard with it just now at 313. OmD feel weird when I am holding it. Haha. Cheers!