Thread: Independent contractor defense

Default Independent contractor defense

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapor...dents-hit-snag

Buyers beware... you buy a condo... if got defects, be prepared to chase the sub sub sub sub sub contractor.

Will it apply to HDB and all other things (like camera gears) too?

Quote Originally Posted by UncleFai View Post
    http://www.straitstimes.com/singapor...dents-hit-snag

Buyers beware... you buy a condo... if got defects, be prepared to chase the sub sub sub sub sub contractor.

Will it apply to HDB and all other things (like camera gears) too?
    It may seemed unfair at first but I think the contract between buyer and developer ceased the moment the property that has been handed over has already surpassed the defects warranty period. Also contract is between original buyer and the developer. So legally speaking, the developer is not responsible for defects if warranty is already over and or owner didn't buy from developer unless warranty is transferable and purchase was done within warranty period and defects detected during that period.

The sub contractors too are not legally bound to rectify any defects since they were never contracted by the owners.

Imagine if one buys a car and manufacturing defects was discovered outside the warranty period and owner has no recourse.
    Canon 60D / 50mm F1.8 II / 40mm 2.8 STM / 75-300mm III

Quote Originally Posted by SNAPDINER View Post

It may seemed unfair at first but I think the contract between buyer and developer ceased the moment the property that has been handed over has already surpassed the defects warranty period. Also contract is between original buyer and the developer. So legally speaking, the developer is not responsible for defects if warranty is already over and or owner didn't buy from developer unless warranty is transferable and purchase was done within warranty period and defects detected during that period.

The sub contractors too are not legally bound to rectify any defects since they were never contracted by the owners.

Imagine if one buys a car and manufacturing defects was discovered outside the warranty period and owner has no recourse.
    Its utter rubbish. Only in SG, consumers are least protected.

In the case of Toyota and Honda air bag problems, the car makers take responsiblilty although the air bags are supplied by Takata.

Can Toyota and Honda say "its not my problem. Go ask Takata for compensation"?

Don't be fooled by SG law. Our laws are third world standard.

Amazon and Walmart, 2 biggest companies in the world. Look at their exchange and return policy. No question asked. Have they ever say "not my problem. Go ask the manufacturer. We only sell."?
    Last edited by donut88; 19th March 2016 at 05:18 PM.

Default Re: Independent contractor defense

If you have sub sub sub contractor.. how much lower it will cost by bypassing all those

Default Re: Independent contractor defense

Quote Originally Posted by donut88 View Post
    Its utter rubbish. Only in SG, consumers are least protected.

In the case of Toyota and Honda air bag problems, the car makers take responsiblilty although the air bags are supplied by Takata.

Can Toyota and Honda say "its not my problem. Go ask Takata for compensation"?

Don't be fooled by SG law. Our laws are third world standard.

Amazon and Walmart, 2 biggest companies in the world. Look at their exchange and return policy. No question asked. Have they ever say "not my problem. Go ask the manufacturer. We only sell."?
    Ya, you are right. Amazon is good. From my personal experience buying things from them.
    Really no question asked. Not only for defects. Even some other dissatisfaction.