Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Winter Footwear

Default Re: Winter Footwear

Quote Originally Posted by doug3fflux
    dont be bought into the established quality of timberland. ( or any other brand, for that matter ). for close to $200, there is a wide range of shoes you can get with similar design, ergonomics ( have u tried it? ) and functionality. you may have had good experiences with your previous pair before, but one brand can make different models that vary with many factors....do shop around...but if u finally decide on getting the goosedown, do buy the green spray bottle, timberland's waterproofing coating. it helps on retarding..

regards
    Douglas
    Doug

r u in the shoe biz U seem very knowlegable on this topic. Actually, Columbia having a big sale here in Beijing this weekend and altho I like timberland, maybe I go take a look at this too.

Quote Originally Posted by popeye
    You will need bigger size trekking shoes for hiking, anyway. So that's not an issue.
    I think Pegasus is referring to those dickheads who are travelling to cold countries for the first time, and need to buy a hiking shoes for the gripping. These dickheads may not be into hiking, and probably after the trip, use the hiking shoes for normal causal wear for outings eg pubs. It would be very aweful to be wearing hiking socks with causal pants etc ... like Ronald MacDonald ..
    Last edited by eric69; 9th November 2005 at 04:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by eric69
    Talking about boots with "steel toe", I was told that these shoes will set off the metal detectors at airports ie "airport unfriendly shoes". "DeWalts" brand or something like that, some if its models have metal parts. I once encountered at the airport, one guy got to remove his shoes before he can go into the departure hall.
    Boots with steel toe caps
    Boots with metal lace hooks
    Boots with thick soles
    Any shoes with thick soles

All take off and scan. Thanks to the Shoe-Bomber bugger. I can't walk thru airports security without taking my boots off to scan.
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

I think Pegasus is referring to those dickheads who are travelling to cold countries for the first time, and need to buy a hiking shoes for the gripping. These dickheads may not be into hiking, and probably after the trip, use the hiking shoes for normal causal wear for outings eg pubs. It would be very aweful to be wearing hiking socks ...
    do u really need to use the term dickheads

Quote Originally Posted by jsbn
    Boots with thick soles

All take off and scan. Thanks to the Shoe-Bomber bugger. I can't walk thru airports security without taking my boots off to scan.
    wad abt high heels made of metal?

Quote Originally Posted by jsbn
    Boots with thick soles

yeah, and spend few minutes to take off and wear.
    thanks to them.

Quote Originally Posted by scud
    yeah, and spend few minutes to take off and wear.
    thanks to them.
    y dun they place a sign earlier in d queue & hav staff handing slippers 2 those who need it. if Changi Airport does it, other major Airports will follow!

ttz wad i call 1st class!!

Quote Originally Posted by digitalbuff
    do u really need to use the term dickheads
    Huh? Why not, when you even have people who called themselves "Dick", eg Dick Tracy ...
    Last edited by eric69; 9th November 2005 at 03:53 PM.

Huh? Why not, when you even have people who called themselves "Dick", eg Dick Tracy ...
    Yeah... there's our very own dick lee too.

Finally decided to go with Baffin (www.baffin.com). Anyone has one?

• Soft, full-grain leather uppers are seam sealed to prevent moisture seepage while maintaining flexibility
    • Lace-up instep with padded tongue secures fit across instep for a slop-free fit
    • B-Tek four-channel polyester insulation and Thermatuf linings trap and hold valuable warmth while wicking away excess moisture for quick drying
    • Padded collars around ankles add comfort; contoured footbeds over a comfort platform support and cushion feet
    • GelFlex midsoles and heels absorb impact to reduce foot fatigue, plus provide insulation from the frozen terrain underfoot
    • Molded rubber shells are completely waterproof and maintain flexibility in cold weather
    • Rubber lugged outsoles deliver solid traction and support on snow and wet surfaces

Also got the Nikwax Nubuck and Suede Waterproofing

Finally decided to go with Baffin (www.baffin.com). Anyone has one?

Also got the Nikwax Nubuck and Suede Waterproofing
    looks gd, wads de $$ & where sell them?

Quote Originally Posted by sORe-EyEz
    looks gd, wads de $$ & where sell them?
    Hi, i bought it online at www.rei.com . Cost USD65 + USD33 for international delivery.

Hi, i bought it online at www.rei.com . Cost USD65 + USD33 for international delivery.
    nah, i usually dun like 2 buy online till i get a feel of a product. IMO, online pics can b quite deceiving... oso things like d quality, fit of d shoes cannot b judged by pic (or is it jus me?).

WTH
    You bought a shoes over the net? Hiking shoes some more....

Good luck man.

WTH
    You bought a shoes over the net? Hiking shoes some more....

Good luck man.
    Yes i did (maybe cos i have had quite good experience so far buyin online). Also, I really liked this particular shoe and they dun sell it in China, Singapore or anywhere near where I will be.

SO i will keep my fingers crossed too. Will let u guys know if it worked out.

Yes i did (maybe cos i have had quite good experience so far buyin online). Also, I really liked this particular shoe and they dun sell it in China, Singapore or anywhere near where I will be.

SO i will keep my fingers crossed too. Will let u guys know if it worked out.

Dude, I too had many good experience buying online. Books, CDs, DVDs, electronics, etc.

But hiking shoes??? that's the last thing that will stick to a man in the wild. And if it's not comfortable in the first place, it will bring hell through out the journey.

Dude, I too had many good experience buying online. Books, CDs, DVDs, electronics, etc.

But hiking shoes??? that's the last thing that will stick to a man in the wild. And if it's not comfortable in the first place, it will bring hell through out the journey.
    Finger crossed.... I bought shoes and clothes online and not too bad so jumped on this....fingers crossed.

i would probably forget about timberland stuff - they are way overprice for the performance they give. other brands like Hi-tec, Columbia and Soloman give much better value and they are brands that many mountainers and outdoor people swore by because of their design.

you might want to look at a 3-Season (Spring, Summer and Autumn) mid cut shoe - these will take you into the snow (unless you are doing extensive hiking in snow) and still remain quite usuable in Singapore. Some boots are solely for winter/mountain use and will be very useless in tropical singapore.

assuming you just need a pair of good shoes for light hiking in winter conditions, things i will look out for:
    1. Water proofing design - It all depends on the stiching and general construction of the shoe - check the "bellow" around the tonge. Goretex layered boots can also leak. Goretex is expensive, there are similar cheaper membranes around. Alternatively is to get real leather boots and deep wax them. Oh yeah, DONT EVER deep wax shoes with goretex or similar membranes. you will just be sealing the pores of the leather and defeating the purpose of the membranes!!

2. Sole rigidity - you don't want something that flexes too much - actually SAF combat boots have a little too much lateral and horizontal flex for real heavy trekking and winter use. Timberland's casual hiker shoes have a lot of flex and is suitable for street walking and very light trekking like in MacRitchie Look for something that has a torsion bar embeded in the sole - tradtional boots have them in steel, but it will not pass the airport sensors. Nowadays they make them with very hard plastic. This actually helps to lessen foot fatigue in long hikes.

3. three-quarter cut just incase you are in ankle deep snow.

4. Go for a design that has a clean toe cap e.g. SAF boots. Some fancy designs have a flat top with stichings ala deck shoes. These just serve as platform to hold snow and water.

Finger crossed.... I bought shoes and clothes online and not too bad so jumped on this....fingers crossed.
    wen will it arrive?

I bought a Hi-Tec Canyon WP at WOS last Sunday.It was the last day of their 30% sale.
    It has waterproof suede leather.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast