Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Winter Footwear

Default Re: Winter Footwear

As mentioned by sORe-EyEz, Goretex is a water-proof fabric. For boots, it is used as a inner layer. When you cut up your Goretex boots, you should be able to see it (though I wouldn't advocate it ).

Using waterproof boots for winter wear is recommended for situations where snow falls onto your boots while walking (common) and when u enter a heated room, it melts and seeps into your shoes. Having wet socks/feet during winter is no joke. As for the slippery part, get a shoe/boots (waterproof or otherwise) with good soles. It can save your day.

I do have a Goretex boots that I use when I travel; however, its sole is Vibram (a brand) sole which I find its grip not that good. So when walking in winter, I have no problems with wet feet but must walk very carefully . So, there is a reason for the many varying prices of shoes/boots etc...

Quote Originally Posted by nuts
    As mentioned by sORe-EyEz, Goretex is a water-proof fabric. For boots, it is used as a inner layer. When you cut up your Goretex boots, you should be able to see it (though I wouldn't advocate it ).
    thanks, erm... (Nuts?).

Quote Originally Posted by eric69
    Sneakers may not be waterproof. Furthermore, water entering the shoes can be very cold to the feet and remain wet thoroughout (very difficult to dry). And lastly, sneakers on ice is very slipperly. It's beneficial for you if you buy a waterproof hiking shoes. Eg of good quality brands are HiTEC, Cloumbia, Timberland etc.
    Be careful about wearing shoes that are not water proof.
    Best is Phua chookang boots type but personally Timbeland class water proof ones are good enough.

Do not ignore water seeps as these water can cause frostbite. So far, i have been skiing okay and only rmembered once in Mt Buller That my visiting cousin while i was in aussoe got a frostbite and his last two toes on his right leg nearly went "dead".

He did not relise it until he returned to the hotel...and the pain gets worst as he arrived back in singapore.
    Main thing is keep dry.

Water proof gloves is advisable..

rgds,
    sulhan
    Last edited by sulhan; 4th November 2005 at 12:45 AM.

powder d feet b4 wearing socks is oso a gd method!

wow...so many replies from all of you guys,thanks!
    so many good advice..seems like i've to spend a bit more on waterproof & good boots..
    $$ again..haiz..

Quote Originally Posted by sORe-EyEz
    lolz, Gore-tex is d fabric part of d boots, not d outsole at d bottom of d boots tt contact d ground.

i nv seen or heard any boots w/ Gore-tec outsole.
    Of course you have never heard of gortex for the sole. I was refering to the water-proofing part, not the "gripping part"!

hi

since you are going for skiing, and not going to conquer Mt Jirisan or any equivalent, there is no need for you to spend too much on elaborate footwear. afterall, you are just going to be chaffeured around in a coach, eat kimchi, and ultimately, be taken care by their tertiary sector.

nevertheless, Goretex is a wise investment. although wearing Goretex in Singapore is very much like driving a Porsche on our minute residential roads, it does come into handy for many of us Sporeans when we visit our neighbouring countries e.g Kinabalu ( cold and wet )...and for the beginners, BTNR..

Goretex is actually standard outer fabric and innner lining fabric emeshing a Goretex membrane. certain series of outdoor products ( Vasque, maybe Montrail ) have other technologies along the same line..like the XCR series..but they are more or less the same, ensuring maximum breathability whilst retarding water. and yes, GT is a membrane technology, not outsole technology.

if you fear all that is wet, go all the way to get Gore-Tex approved socks or....gaiters....! sure bao to keep you dry..

anyway, if u are going to get Goretex, I suggest you get other goodies with your footwear. look out for Vibram soles, which are reputably excellent in gripping ground. and get some good waterproofing clothing too, not just for the cold. remember, snow+cold = very wet and cold...consider investing in Goretex jackets ( hahahhaha ) , or the equivalent, ( Lafuma, other foreign brands with reputable quality. i have a haglofs, swedish). Marmot is also very reputable for raingear. i do have a precip.

then there is backpacks, and upper clothing, and lower clothing, and head gear, and.......right, your're not on an expedition, its holiday.

anyway, if you are really thinking of getting serious, a trip to Campers Corner should gear u up fully. just be ready to spend!

regards
    Douglas

Quote Originally Posted by exhibitj
    Goretex waterproof on outside, but whenever it rains heavily, and my slacks get soaked, the wetness then seeps into my socks (since the slack and the socks are in contact) and travels all the way inside the boots! really hate that outfield. Can tahan the mosquitoes and combat rations, but cannot take wet feets!

hmmm strange? My socks were wet on the top part, above the ankle where its in contact with my slacks, but it did not manage to slip all the way down to my feet?

Prolly u stepped into knee deep water?
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

I think SAF e-Mart sells Gortex jackets, that is IF you don't mind the dark green.... hehehehe....
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

i absolutely love the Timberland Goosedown Boots. I intend to buy it for Winter this year.

I dunno if there're different grades of Vibram soles, but mine just can't make it for grip on wet ground....
    Also, for me, I think Campers Corner is alittle overpriced, even with a 15% discount..... but well, they're the only one that carry certain products....

Quote Originally Posted by doug3fflux
    anyway, if u are going to get Goretex, I suggest you get other goodies with your footwear. look out for Vibram soles, which are reputably excellent in gripping ground. and get some good waterproofing clothing too, not just for the cold. remember, snow+cold = very wet and cold...consider investing in Goretex jackets ( hahahhaha ) , or the equivalent, ( Lafuma, other foreign brands with reputable quality. i have a haglofs, swedish). Marmot is also very reputable for raingear. i do have a precip.

then there is backpacks, and upper clothing, and lower clothing, and head gear, and.......right, your're not on an expedition, its holiday.

anyway, if you are really thinking of getting serious, a trip to Campers Corner should gear u up fully. just be ready to spend!

regards
    Douglas

Looks good. Whats the price like? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by digitalbuff
    i absolutely love the Timberland Goosedown Boots. I intend to buy it for Winter this year.

digitalbuff care to share why you absolutely love this pair? i believe that such gear ultimately points down to functionality and purpose.
    Last edited by doug3fflux; 4th November 2005 at 10:55 AM.

I dunno if there're different grades of Vibram soles, but mine just can't make it for grip on wet ground....
    Also, for me, I think Campers Corner is alittle overpriced, even with a 15% discount..... but well, they're the only one that carry certain products....
    yes, they muck up quite abit, but its still a great bargain for western foreigners coming here...the locals like us would find the gear a little on the high side...

i havent exactly tried Vibram soles..lets hear some feedback on vibram soles..i have tried a friend's Chaco sandals with Vibram, but that pairs a large heavy chunk of carbon rubber..cant really comment on vibrams performance because I dont have first hand owner experience..however, there are other outdoor gear products that are trying to enter the market or already have...some of these have their own OEM technologies..different soles, different grip types...those are more affordable and not necessarily are inferior to well-etablished gears like GTX, Vibram, Patagonia etc etc...

vibram cannot grip on wet ground? i must say its not just the outsole itself that accounts for its grip leh..Vibram is integrated into many shoe systems...from multipurpose crosstrail shoes to hardcore mountaineering boots to standard sandals...

I share his sentiments.
    In torrential rain,when your slacks get wet & later on your socks...the water will just seep thru to the rest of your socks making your feet wet.
    Doesn't require knee-deep water for that...

Back to topic:
    Ya,guess i won't spend so much on very good shoes as this is just a holiday.
    Probably find a reasonably priced shoe with good grip (preferably waterproof)

Quote Originally Posted by student
    Of course you have never heard of gortex for the sole. I was refering to the water-proofing part, not the "gripping part"!
    huh? den how come ur earlier post is;

Quote Originally Posted by student
    Even my usual gore-tex "high tech" trekking boots did not protect me from falling.
    now who d confused 1?

A lot of the forum readers here have gave advice on what to buy and all so shall not go into that. Shall share instead my experience with you on footwear and let you decide what to get.

Wore converse leather sneakers in China and Japan during winter. Supposed to be water proof but what happened is water somehow seeped in and had small patches of dampness. Also somehow felt cold inside the shoe and in the end had to wear 2 layers of socks. Grip was also bad with me "ice skating" quite a few times, quite lucky I managed to regain balance and not fall...

Overall experience? Was quite a torture...... Its really no joke when u are wrapped like a dumpling on the top (your body) and your feet freeze....

USD120

Quote Originally Posted by doug3fflux
    digitalbuff care to share why you absolutely love this pair? i believe that such gear ultimately points down to functionality and purpose.
    Well, I just absolutely love it cos of the looks and the "assumed quality" of the product. Nothing too scientific i guess.
    Last edited by digitalbuff; 4th November 2005 at 04:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by centuryegg
    Overall experience? Was quite a torture...... Its really no joke when u are wrapped like a dumpling on the top (your body) and your feet freeze....
    haha... yeah, those who being to cold countries before would know! And I have heard of my friends, before their maidien winter trips, on wanting to bring their whole DSLR gears, with tripods and stuffs ...

Quote Originally Posted by digitalbuff
    USD120

Well, I just absolutely love it cos of the looks and the "assumed quality" of the product. Nothing too scientific i guess.
    dont be bought into the established quality of timberland. ( or any other brand, for that matter ). for close to $200, there is a wide range of shoes you can get with similar design, ergonomics ( have u tried it? ) and functionality. you may have had good experiences with your previous pair before, but one brand can make different models that vary with many factors....do shop around...but if u finally decide on getting the goosedown, do buy the green spray bottle, timberland's waterproofing coating. it helps on retarding..

regards
    Douglas

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast