Thread: white bal preset

Default white bal preset

pardon my ignorance.
    am i right to say that if i were to use the WB preset measurement on my ezy-balance graycard, the effect of using a 81A filter would be negated?

Default Re: white bal preset

Yes (to some effect), but only because you are using the preset measurement, nothing to do with the grey card. A grey card is to measure exposure, it does not effect colour temperature.

If you take the WB preset measurement with 81A filter on, it will compensate the warm tone and give you a neutral balance.

If you want the warming effect of the 81A filter, take the measurement without the filter.

Btw, as long a surface of object is neutral, like white (RGB, 255,255,255) or gray (RGB 128,128,128), you may use as a white balance reference.

So a gray card (18% gray) can use to measure white balance and exposure reading for digital photography.

Hope this help.

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights
    If you take the WB preset measurement with 81A filter on, it will compensate the warm tone and give you a neutral balance.

If you want the warming effect of the 81A filter, take the measurement without the filter.

Btw, as long a surface of object is neutral, like white (RGB, 255,255,255) or gray (RGB 128,128,128), you may use as a white balance reference.

So a gray card (18% gray) can use to measure white balance and exposure reading for digital photography.

Hope this help.
    yes, thanks. The reason is sometimes i don't wish to hv the 81A effect [eg to reproduce the exact color]. So I am thinking i could actually do a preset with the filter on to get rid of it.

Than why don't just remove the 81A filter since you want it to be neutral? with the 81A filter, it cut down 1/3 stop of light.