Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Thread: From USB 1.1 to 2.0

  1. #1

    Default From USB 1.1 to 2.0

    Recently i bought a PCMCIA USB 2.0 card for my laptop, which originally uses USB 1.1. But when i was using the PCMCIA card to transfer files, the speed does not increase significantly. Btw, my laptop can detect the PCMCIA card.



    May i know what is the prob?

  2. #2
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Planet Nikon
    Posts
    21,905

    Default Re: From USB 1.1 to 2.0

    I don't get it, what do you mean original use USB1.1?

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: From USB 1.1 to 2.0

    Quote Originally Posted by West_ray
    Recently i bought a PCMCIA USB 2.0 card for my laptop, which originally uses USB 1.1. But when i was using the PCMCIA card to transfer files, the speed does not increase significantly. Btw, my laptop can detect the PCMCIA card.



    May i know what is the prob?
    depends on the device u attached is optimized anot... also see your laptop resources
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  4. #4

    Default Re: From USB 1.1 to 2.0

    Quote Originally Posted by espn
    I don't get it, what do you mean original use USB1.1?
    yupz, originally used 1.1, until few days ago when i bought the pcmcia card usb 2.0.

  5. #5

    Default Re: From USB 1.1 to 2.0

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt
    depends on the device u attached is optimized anot... also see your laptop resources
    my laptop is damn slow...... amd duron 1.1ghz with 256 ram only ... but, shouldnt at least the transfer rates to speed up since i've upgraded from usb 1.1 to 2?

  6. #6

    Default Re: From USB 1.1 to 2.0

    Did you buy a USB 2.0 "Full speed" instead of a USB2.0 "Hi-Speed" part?

  7. #7

    Default Re: From USB 1.1 to 2.0

    Quote Originally Posted by Zerstorer
    Did you buy a USB 2.0 "Full speed" instead of a USB2.0 "Hi-Speed" part?
    omg, got difference ar? i checked the box, it doesn't state full speed or hi speed.

  8. #8

    Default Re: From USB 1.1 to 2.0

    Quote Originally Posted by West_ray
    my laptop is damn slow...... amd duron 1.1ghz with 256 ram only ... but, shouldnt at least the transfer rates to speed up since i've upgraded from usb 1.1 to 2?
    If I'm not wrong your 1.1GHz duron does not support usb 2.0; you may want to check it out. What is your OS? I remember that your OS also must be supportive of usb 2.0; pls correct me if I'm wrong from our many CS-member helpdesk folks.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    3,287

    Default Re: From USB 1.1 to 2.0

    Buying a USB 2.0 PCMCIA and using it on your notebook will not give you 2.0 throughput. The is because your motherboard cannot handle 2.0 in the first place. Just like on a pc attaching a USB 2.0 device will not make it go at full 2.0.

  10. #10

    Default Re: From USB 1.1 to 2.0

    USB 2.0 "Full speed" is actually USB 1.1

  11. #11

    Default Re: From USB 1.1 to 2.0

    Quote Originally Posted by jbma
    Buying a USB 2.0 PCMCIA and using it on your notebook will not give you 2.0 throughput. The is because your motherboard cannot handle 2.0 in the first place. Just like on a pc attaching a USB 2.0 device will not make it go at full 2.0.
    mine is a compaq presario laptop, i've contacted HP regarding this matter. They said getting a third party PCMCIA card helps.

    mine OS is Win XP original .

    i guess i will try to contact HP again. tks~!

  12. #12

    Default Re: From USB 1.1 to 2.0

    Quote Originally Posted by jbma
    Buying a USB 2.0 PCMCIA and using it on your notebook will not give you 2.0 throughput. The is because your motherboard cannot handle 2.0 in the first place. Just like on a pc attaching a USB 2.0 device will not make it go at full 2.0.
    Not true.
    Its just like inserting a USB2.0 controllor card onto a normal PC, you will gain the full benefits of that controller. The bandwidth through the PCMCIA interface is far greater than what USB2.0 is capable of.

    The only issue here is whether the devices he's using are actually capable of USB2 highspeed transfer, or he simply bought a USB2.0 Fullspeed part instead.

  13. #13

    Default Re: From USB 1.1 to 2.0

    this is the description of the pcmcia that i bought.

    - Quick & easy installation
    - Compliant with USB specification revision 2.0
    - Compliant with OHCI ver 1.0A and EHCI ver 0.95
    - Fully forward and backward compatible with USB 1.1
    - Automatically switches to the peripheral's highest supported speed
    - Provides 4 external type-A USB ports and 1 external DC power jack
    - Output current per port =500mA (max)
    - Supports up to 127 devices
    - Supports transfer rate of 1.5 / 12 / 480 Mbps
    - Supports 32 bit CardBus Type II slots





    Function/ application +
    - 4 x USB type A (5VDC @ 500mA per port)
    - Transfer rate 1.5 / 12 / 480 Mbps (bits per second)
    - USB 2.0 and 1.1 compatible
    - NEC Chipset

    System Requirement
    - Notebook with PCMCIA Type II cardbus slot
    - Windows 98 / 98SE / ME / 2000

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    334

    Default Re: From USB 1.1 to 2.0

    Which version of Windows are you using? If I remember right, only WinXP SP2 supports USB2.0. For my desktop, even after updating to SP2, I remembered I had to remove the old USB1 drivers before WinXP will redetect and reinstall the USB2.0 drivers.

    Also is the device attached to the USB controller (eg flash memory) a USB 1.0 or USB2.0 device?

  15. #15
    Senior Member dominator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Amazon Forest
    Posts
    1,662

    Default Re: From USB 1.1 to 2.0

    USB2.0 will only be supported on SP1, SP1A or SP2 for those on Windows XP
    If you are only running XP alone with service pack, you need to an OS update.

    Although the device you bought met the system requirement but it will run at usb1 speed instead of usb2 speed if the OS does not support it or you are without the required driver.

    http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;312370
    Cleanse your thoughts, not by the foods you eat.

  16. #16

    Default Re: From USB 1.1 to 2.0

    Quote Originally Posted by linse
    Which version of Windows are you using? If I remember right, only WinXP SP2 supports USB2.0. For my desktop, even after updating to SP2, I remembered I had to remove the old USB1 drivers before WinXP will redetect and reinstall the USB2.0 drivers.

    Also is the device attached to the USB controller (eg flash memory) a USB 1.0 or USB2.0 device?
    attached device is 2.0, minolta dual 3 and creative cd rw.

  17. #17

    Default Re: From USB 1.1 to 2.0

    Quote Originally Posted by dominator
    USB2.0 will only be supported on SP1, SP1A or SP2 for those on Windows XP
    If you are only running XP alone with service pack, you need to an OS update.

    Although the device you bought met the system requirement but it will run at usb1 speed instead of usb2 speed if the OS does not support it or you are without the required driver.

    http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;312370
    mine is SP2 . just did an win update check again and confirmed mine is SP2. sian 1/2 ...

  18. #18

    Default Re: From USB 1.1 to 2.0

    prob solved ! tks folks~

  19. #19
    Senior Member Canew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    2,229

    Default Re: From USB 1.1 to 2.0

    Quote Originally Posted by West_ray
    prob solved ! tks folks~
    What did you do?

  20. #20

    Default Re: From USB 1.1 to 2.0

    re-install SP2 ... that's it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •