Page 30 of 100 FirstFirst ... 52025282930313235405580 ... LastLast

Thread: Chit chat thread #2 (slowest thread ever! ha!)

Default Re: chit chat thread #2 (slowest thread ever! ha!)

Quote Originally Posted by SnapSnap
    Wah... Since when did this thread became a "religious" thread?

I actually quite agree with Cheat.

It is more about a relationship with God. The person who loves God would want to be with God, to be near Him. Going to churches, reading the bible, going for church activities, are but expression of love.
    What I am trying to say is that Christians are not required to do those activities (evangalise, organise activities...) just compelled to do them because of the love that they received. "Freely received, freely give."

Peace.

now then you guys come along and talk about all these? we already forgotten what we said and cheat probably founded a new religion worshipping The Great Mycelium-Producing Being

Quote Originally Posted by hwchoy
    now then you guys come along and talk about all these? we already forgotten what we said and cheat probably founded a new religion worshipping The Great Mycelium-Producing Being
    Really? Cheat is worshipping a mushroom?

Wabbit gave up totally trying to make sense out of last 10 pages or so...

No no I said he STARTED a new religion that worships a mushroom. I didn't say he himself has to practice what he preaches ya? Check his nick again

besides it is not "a mushroom" but THE Mushroom. You ever heard of the Great Pumpkin?
    Last edited by hwchoy; 14th November 2005 at 12:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by calisc
    very wise, 'cos there ain't any.

can't imagine him in hippy dress worshipping magic shrooms.

wait a minute, what didn't you understand about the translucent teddies and camisoles?

wait a minute, what didn't you understand about the translucent teddies and camisoles?
    when one has no use for them, they wouldn't make sense, would it?

Quote Originally Posted by lao_chio
    I think most Asian women look younger than their years - when I was in the US - NOBODY could believe I was this age!
    Don't sound as if you're very old leh!
    Err... how old are you anyway? Or is that too personal a question liao?

Sigh... the thing is - I am rather tired of 'postmodernism' / 'deconstruction' / modern art ... - besides I don't think one can 'understand' fully ANY art let alone 'modern' art. And I am going to admit it once and for all - I don't like abstract art unless they are colourful or they speak to me - sometimes i just let things speak to me and NOT analyse/deconstruct/apply limitations by DEFINING them and putting them into boxes ...
    A very valid point of view to art as well. Frankly, I still trying to strive for that see and appreciate things, without analysis. To most it's as easy as the act of breathing. To me, it's simply too incomprehensible. People are different, I guess...

In other words - SINGAPORE IS A UTILITARIAN SOCIETY - EVERYTHING MUST SERVE A PURPOSE - and at this moment - Religious Studies seem quite un-utilitarian (or is it non-utilitarian?) - sigh ... what to do when you live in a techno-Neo-Confucianist socially engineered paradigm? Even BEAUTY has to serve a purpose ... And God too - yes - God is there to BLESS and PROTECT ...and studying RELIGION? NO NEED - just PRACTICE will do.
    Like duh! Hello! As if you need to second-guess what Singapore is about?

There was a thesis by one of the History A/Prof saying that the ideology behind PAPa is pragmatism. It was an interesting read, and quite true to government now, as to then.
    And as much as the idealist hated the utilitarian way, it is THE way in the reality call Singapore.

Do I hear a protest somewhere? Well, you have the right to protest of course, provided you follow the legal procedure... ...

Haaa~! So are you an atheist - TRULY an atheist? Not even agnostic? No CREATIVE DIVINITY / ENERGY etc?
    No, I'm not an agnostic. I'm a true atheist who doesn't believe in anything supernatural, be it God, ghost or "divine energy". Maybe I was an agnostic before I step into uni, but I'm a true atheist right now. And frankly it's not easy to be an atheist, for every action ain't judged by anyone but yourself. That's why I believe in moral police see! Haa~!
    (Moral police argument somewhere in the last 10 pages...)

Yes - I understand about the 'conservative' side - in my last life as a Christian fundamentalist (yes - I went around with a Bible AT ALL TIMES asking people - strangers, anyone on the streets, my neighbours / classmates / relatives etc - whether they know Jesus Christ and whether they were saved - ok I was 16 years old - but I was like that till in my early 20s) - when I was going to church at least 4-5 times a week - my pastor discouraged us from taking up Philosophy if we do go to Uni. I guess he meant well - didn't want our faith to be tested etc ...

I don't argue with my christian friends anymore - I just listen to them - coz I like to hear about religious experiences - maybe I should write my own version of 'The Varieties of Religious Experience' - haha!

Hmm... so what are you "this life" then. Whatever that means...

Quote Originally Posted by mau_lovers
    What if there is NO MEANING IN ANY ACTION? Sigh ... wait - that goes against the UTILITARIAN paradigm we live in ...
    Haa~! See, ultimately everyone is a hypocrite! I'm soo right about that!
    Err... wait, I don't think I'd ever shared my hypocrite hypothesis with anyone here yet! Haha~! Maybe when I'm not so miffed with DBS bank, I shall share share a bit with you guys, if you are interested...

Anyway, your statement didn't really mean to say "NO MEANING IN ANY ACTION", but "NO PURPOSE IN ANY ACTION". I like to divide MEANING and PURPOSE into two different terms, where meaning is what come from within, while purpose is what is given. A lot of time people feel that there's no purpose in doing a lot of things, for it may goes against the social norm, or it's just simply absurd. For example, in the Myth of Sissyphus, there's this guy who roll a back-breaking round-shaped boulder up a pointy hill everyday, only to find that the boulder will roll off the other side when it reaches the apex. Still, he relentlessly continue to do so. To us, it's simply an act without purpose, for the boulder will still roll down no matter how hard he try. But to him, there's a meaning in the act. The meaning to deplete all his effort to strive and accomplish an almost impossible task.

Seriously, too many people are purpose-oriented, so much so that they only feel that only things that have a purpose are meaningful. But is there a purpose in most things we do everyday? Do you do photography for a purpose, or do you do so with a certain meaning to you?

Wah... Since when did this thread became a "religious" thread?
    Hmm... the thread becomes whatever it wants to become. It's a blank sheet of paper waiting for input by any party to give it a character, a personality and a style.

Quote Originally Posted by snapsnap
    I actually quite agree with Cheat.

It is more about a relationship with God. The person who loves God would want to be with God, to be near Him. Going to churches, reading the bible, going for church activities, are but expression of love.
    What I am trying to say is that Christians are not required to do those activities (evangalise, organise activities...) just compelled to do them because of the love that they received. "Freely received, freely give."

Peace.
    Why are you agreeing with an atheist on your religion?

No no I said he STARTED a new religion that worships a mushroom. I didn't say he himself has to practice what he preaches ya? Check his nick again
    I was about to lift a hammer, till I saw the last four words. Those words are nicely placed.

besides it is not "a mushroom" but THE Mushroom. You ever heard of the Great Pumpkin?
    I haven't heard of The Great Pumpkin myself. What's that?

Quote Originally Posted by foxtwo
    when one has no use for them, they wouldn't make sense, would it?
    Hmm... so you are suggesting that me, zaren and choy have uses for them huh?

Quick! Convince mau_lovers to stop the discussion on religion, and maybe the next 10 pages will make more sense!

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cheat
    Why are you agreeing with an atheist on your religion?
    Sometimes it takes an atheist to wake up my idea...

When my one of my friends, who became sort of an atheist after attending philosophy class calls christians hypocrites, I had to sit up and listen to why he said that. And I will try my best to tell him about God but ultimately, it is a transaction between him and God... What I want to do is to share about God's love...

Haa~! See, ultimately everyone is a hypocrite! .....

....Seriously, too many people are purpose-oriented, so much so that they only feel that only things that have a purpose are meaningful. But is there a purpose in most things we do everyday? Do you do photography for a purpose, or do you do so with a certain meaning to you?
    Ok... I'll post a "bo liao" photo... no purpose...

but wait... if I post for no purpose why do I post this? Is there a reason behind the posting? Hmmm... to get some comments from Cheat maybe? Then, there is a purpose in this post... hmmm.... am I a hypocrite when I say there is no reason in posting this photo?

Ok... I'll post a "bo liao" photo... no purpose...
    but wait... if I post for no purpose why do I post this? Is there a reason behind the posting? Hmmm... to get some comments from Cheat maybe? Then, there is a purpose in this post... hmmm.... am I a hypocrite when I say there is no reason in posting this photo?
    Geesh! That's precisely why I don't like to enter a philosophical discourse with anyone. Only ended up being ridiculed for a completely logical reasoning...

Am not planning to comment on your photo though. Try someone else.

Sometimes it takes an atheist to wake up my idea...

When my one of my friends, who became sort of an atheist after attending philosophy class calls christians hypocrites, I had to sit up and listen to why he said that. And I will try my best to tell him about God but ultimately, it is a transaction between him and God... What I want to do is to share about God's love...
    There ain't a lot of "real" atheist out there leh. There are however lots of agnostic who could give you a better idea of your religion than an atheist. For instance, in this case, while it makes intelligent sense to me that christianity is supposed to be the relationship, rather than the churches and practices, it makes absolutely no actual sense to me at all what this relationship is. To me, this relationship is more like trusting in your imaginary friend like that...

Err... anyway, don't talk to me too much about religion, else my benign intent may turn out to be malicious. I still get the kick sometimes to challenge/test one's faith!

There ain't a lot of "real" atheist out there leh. There are however lots of agnostic who could give you a better idea of your religion than an atheist. For instance, in this case, while it makes intelligent sense to me that christianity is supposed to be the relationship, rather than the churches and practices, it makes absolutely no actual sense to me at all what this relationship is. To me, this relationship is more like trusting in your imaginary friend like that...

Err... anyway, don't talk to me too much about religion, else my benign intent may turn out to be malicious. I still get the kick sometimes to challenge/test one's faith!
    To me this relationship is having a real friend, a loving father, a counselor, and more. Before becoming a christian, I actually tried to proof that God did not exist...
    Anyway, this forum is for photography, not religon. If we get to meet, I'll be most interested to hear your views.

Edited... Correct typo error...
    Last edited by SnapSnap; 14th November 2005 at 04:13 PM.

To me this relationship is having a real friend, a loving father, a counselor, and more. Before becoming a christian, I actually tried to proof that God did not exist...
    Anyway, this forum is for photography, not religon. If we get to meet, I'll be most interested to hear your views.

Edited... Correct typo error...
    Oh? Snce when is this forum about photography? I always thought it's about scandals, translucent camisoles and teddies! No?

And no. You can't force me to talk about religion these days offline. I'll probably bore you to death with equipment talk and basics in photography!