Page 29 of 100 FirstFirst ... 41924272829303134395479 ... LastLast

Thread: Chit chat thread #2 (slowest thread ever! ha!)

Default Re: chit chat thread #2 (slowest thread ever! ha!)

Uppity up up!

Anyone keen to going to khairi's place to eat baby food?
    If so, could we meet at say 3pm at Khatib MRT? Bring your camera along, so that we could drop by the reservoir near sunset to take some nice scenic photos.

Please put your name down if you're interested:
    (1) The_Cheat
    (2) Vamptress (pending approval)
    (3)
    (4)
    (5)
    (6)

Anyone keen to going to khairi's place to eat baby food?
    If so, could we meet at say 3pm at Khatib MRT? Bring your camera along, so that we could drop by the reservoir near sunset to take some nice scenic photos.
    sorry, tmr got something else on. happy hari raya puasa

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cheat
    Looks like everyone's turning in. Well, for the benefit of the others who tread this thread, you could ignore everything from page 21 to page 28!

Hahaah~! Well, that's provided that you ain't keen on translucent camisole, teddies and whales!

Okay, logging off liao! Nites... haa~!
    hello hello.. u r suppose to say this before the midnight talkshow started, not after

Quote Originally Posted by foxtwo
    hello hello.. u r suppose to say this before the midnight talkshow started, not after
    Disclaimer are usually shown in the beginning of the show too, but who cares a hoot about them man?

so u all going khai's house on sunday?

Quote Originally Posted by Witness
    so u all going khai's house on sunday?
    No one responded leh. See how lor! Muahahah~!
    Me heading to school liao! :P

hehe
    nah i'm gg sentosa ... AGAIN....3rd time this mth...tt place is beginning to bore me...

hehe
    nah i'm gg sentosa ... AGAIN....3rd time this mth...tt place is beginning to bore me...
    You don't need to study one huh?

eh
    we discussed this before le right...not whether i wanna study anot
    its HOW TO STUDY....u tell me...

i'm not like those students of yours... muahahhahaa

eh
    we discussed this before le right...not whether i wanna study anot
    its HOW TO STUDY....u tell me...
    I don't recall after this discussion with you leh...

Anyway, to me, if you do enough work during term time, study week is machiam like play week lor! Heck! I usually sleep the most and complete the most games during exam period anyway. Think the only reason why I'm not out as often as you are, is that I'm an introvert lor!

i'm not like those students of yours... muahahhahaa
    Oi! Oi! I also have smart-a$$ students like you lah!

Hee~! Anyway, try and strive for a 4.2 by end of first sem hor. Easier to "survive" later on lor! Muahahah~!

Quote Originally Posted by zaren
    trying religiously to be a better catholic!
    Very interesting ... in trying to be a better Catholic - what exactly do you do? Go to church, go for confession etc - the 'PRACTICE' part? Or pray more? Be more spiritual? Heck - how do you BE MORE SPIRITUAL??
    I am baptised as an Anglican and we (my family) is sort of more into High Anglicanism - so our church rituals etc - are very Catholic and I do like them sometimes - coz for me it's like a sacred pagentry - with all the incense and hymns and kneeling and standing and praying / chanting in Latin (not all Latin but some) ...

Quote Originally Posted by mau_lovers
    coz for me it's like a sacred pagentry - with all the incense and hymns and kneeling and standing and praying / chanting in Latin (not all Latin but some) ...
    if you like this sort of thing you should come down to Singapore during August. Lots of partying and photo opportunities during the Hungry Ghost month.

Humble lao chio?
    Man... you sounds like my boss! He's like 50+ and everyone think that he's barely 40! Heck! I think choy looks older than my boss!

I think most Asian women look younger than their years - when I was in the US - NOBODY could believe I was this age!

Interesting link between a half-renovated house and modern art. Still, I really feel that it's unfair to lump everything into Modern Art just because one couldn't understand it. The feeling is like, this piece of art is rubbish. Let's call it "modern art". Heck! Simply disrespectful to modern art.

Modern art is the nutshell artform that have been totally influenced by postmodernism, which tend to include components of deconstruction. This of course is contradictory, for the genre itself needs to be deconstructed in the first place to even lump the art together.

Sigh... the thing is - I am rather tired of 'postmodernism' / 'deconstruction' / modern art ... - besides I don't think one can 'understand' fully ANY art let alone 'modern' art. And I am going to admit it once and for all - I don't like abstract art unless they are colourful or they speak to me - sometimes i just let things speak to me and NOT analyse/deconstruct/apply limitations by DEFINING them and putting them into boxes ...

Cos there's a lot of dimension within a university? At the student and academics level, probably subjects like religious studies are of interest. But once it goes to the senate level, they will question on how objective this will be, how relevent it is to the society, and what's the potential career path one could take, graduating from that field. And then up one more level to the varsity level, they will have to decide whether there should streamline the departments even more to save on the budget. Up one more level, it will be the constant debate between the government and the uni of what kind of "products" they have to churn in 5, 10, 15, 20 years time.

So why isn't there a religious studies department in NUS? Well, just find one level that could go wrong and voila!

In other words - SINGAPORE IS A UTILITARIAN SOCIETY - EVERYTHING MUST SERVE A PURPOSE - and at this moment - Religious Studies seem quite un-utilitarian (or is it non-utilitarian?) - sigh ... what to do when you live in a techno-Neo-Confucianist socially engineered paradigm? Even BEAUTY has to serve a purpose ... And God too - yes - God is there to BLESS and PROTECT ...and studying RELIGION? NO NEED - just PRACTICE will do.

I'm forever in the midst of argument when it comes to christianity, for literally no one in Singapore understand the what is atheism and what implications it means. And me, having a vested interest in philosophy, love to talk to my friends who are taking the module to see how open-minded they have became. Most often than not, the conservative side got the better of them, and I would just have to emphasis my stance that being christian isn't about being religious (religious in going to churches, taking bible literally, going for organised church activities, etc. etc.), but a more personal and spiritual association/relationship between the christian and god. That often ended up quite ugly, with us not talking for a week or so! Haaa~!
    So are you an atheist - TRULY an atheist? Not even agnostic? No CREATIVE DIVINITY / ENERGY etc? Yes - I understand about the 'conservative' side - in my last life as a Christian fundamentalist (yes - I went around with a Bible AT ALL TIMES asking people - strangers, anyone on the streets, my neighbours / classmates / relatives etc - whether they know Jesus Christ and whether they were saved - ok I was 16 years old - but I was like that till in my early 20s) - when I was going to church at least 4-5 times a week - my pastor discouraged us from taking up Philosophy if we do go to Uni. I guess he meant well - didn't want our faith to be tested etc ...

I don't argue with my christian friends anymore - I just listen to them - coz I like to hear about religious experiences - maybe I should write my own version of 'The Varieties of Religious Experience' - haha!

Frankly, I'm more envious of people who are like you. At least there's still this hope of miracle turning up or salvation at the end of the road.

For me, the choice of atheism bounded myself with the chore of seeking meanings for all my actions all the time. There's simply no difference in deed and heart in my believe. And if one act against what they set out to do, they're simply just being an outright hypocrite, that's all.
    What if there is NO MEANING IN ANY ACTION? Sigh ... wait - that goes against the UTILITARIAN paradigm we live in ...

Quote Originally Posted by hwchoy
    poor arnie got busted at the polls. but he'll be back.
    WHAT polls??

Quote Originally Posted by furrypaws

wat heavy stuff to digest early in the morning!

my whiskas are falling out!
    Eh furry paws - I like your ID pic!! sigh ... coz i like cats!! u take pics of cats? tell me where to find your gallery!

Wah... Since when did this thread became a "religious" thread?

I actually quite agree with Cheat.
    ...being christian isn't about being religious (religious in going to churches, taking bible literally, going for organised church activities, etc. etc.), but a more personal and spiritual association/relationship between the christian and god.

It is more about a relationship with God. The person who loves God would want to be with God, to be near Him. Going to churches, reading the bible, going for church activities, are but expression of love.
    What I am trying to say is that Christians are not required to do those activities (evangalise, organise activities...) just compelled to do them because of the love that they received. "Freely received, freely give."

Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by mau_lovers
    Eh furry paws - I like your ID pic!! sigh ... coz i like cats!! u take pics of cats? tell me where to find your gallery!

just wait till jacq reads this, this thread is going to turn into a cat oooo ooooo ahhhh ahhhh session