Page 13 of 100 FirstFirst ... 38111213141518233863 ... LastLast

Thread: Chit chat thread #2 (slowest thread ever! ha!)

Default Re: chit chat thread #2 (slowest thread ever! ha!)

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cheat
    Precisely the same when you attempt essay question in sci mah... dunno lah! I'm not going to pass any judgement. Though I think I'd already done so for the past 12 hours...

don'ch care lah, as long as she is chio, she gets A+.

if she lets me buy her drink she gets A++

if she buys me drink then SCORE LIAOZ

Quote Originally Posted by hwchoy

so that's how mrs.c snared you

Quote Originally Posted by foxtwo
    so that's how mrs.c snared you

worse than that. she wouldn't let me drink.
    Last edited by hwchoy; 8th November 2005 at 03:47 PM.

See! Zaren stopped her nagging, and we'd suddenly cease all activities here. Way cool man!

hahaha. so quiet suddenly. but i got a question!

how does GPA work huh? is it the higher the better or lower the better? reason im asking cuz i need to see if im eligible for the honors and whether i can keep my current GPA (4.5).. and i have no freaking idea how GPA works.. so help!

You wanna know why? Here are three reasons:

(1) As much as I'd like to be blunt, I simply can't. Students being students, needed guidance in any way possible. So, rather than be blunt, and ended up being a failed tutor, I'd rather be patient, and give rational (read: common-sense) explanations for why there ain't model answers in tertiary education, especially those involving essay questions.

(2) Being foul-mouthed in a forum where you treat each other as friends is still acceptable to a certain extent. Heck! Name-calling is like part of friendship anyway, as we are all very familiar with. Just think about it. We have names like newbie violent gal, parang-waving gal, and an assortment creature names (e.g. sotong, mushroom, wabbit, duck, fox, fish etc.). Hence, a bit of foul-mouthed reply ain't that offensive, taken in the right way. But to tell that to a student, could easily be taken the wrong way, and would only result in adversive consequences.

(3) The e-mails I'd received these days are horrendous. Atrocious language, horrible short-hand, extremely large font, incomprehensible request and incoherent phrasing. And they are like all Singaporeans!! Argh!!
    So, let's not make it worse, by giving a half-past-six reply, and in a way agreeing to their way of questioning.
    Wah! you guys are on the roll man! We cannot claim that this is the slowest thread already... Anyway, I understand how you feel... I think kids nowadays are too dependent... I don't care what kind of new initiatives the ministry of education comes up with... it is the parents who are to be blamed... they give the kids everything! last time we had to work for it... (sounds like I am so old already... Please note that I am not that old) sorry for blabbering...

Quote Originally Posted by simplicity_
    hahaha. so quiet suddenly. but i got a question!

how does GPA work huh? is it the higher the better or lower the better? reason im asking cuz i need to see if im eligible for the honors and whether i can keep my current GPA (4.5).. and i have no freaking idea how GPA works.. so help!
    GPA means what huh? I don't know if it's the same, but in NUS, we have a CAP system, where points are calculated per 4 modular credits. The breakdown for the points are as follow:

A+ / A - 5.0
    A- - 4.5
    B+ - 4.0
    B - 3.5
    B- - 3.0
    C+ - 2.5
    C - 2.0
    Don't really know about C-, D and E liao...

Anyway, to graduate in NUS, students need to achieve the required modular credits (think it's 120 MC right now) with a CAP score of 2.5 or better, i.e. an average of 2.5 for each module taken. Pass with merit need a CAP of 3.2 (or is it 3.0?) and honours require a CAP of 3.8 (think it'd been recently lowered to 3.5). Class of honours are divided also according to CAP: 1st class CAP 4.5 with at least a A- for the research/thesis/FYP; 2nd upp CAP 4.0; 2nd lower CAP 3.8; 3rd CAP 3.5.

Hope that this helps...

Quote Originally Posted by sotong
    Wah! you guys are on the roll man! We cannot claim that this is the slowest thread already...
    Nah! It'll die off soon. I bet we can't keep up with chitchatting, unless we go out for dinner or go out for a shoot!

Go out beo chio bu also okay lah!

Quote Originally Posted by sotong
    Anyway, I understand how you feel... I think kids nowadays are too dependent... I don't care what kind of new initiatives the ministry of education comes up with... it is the parents who are to be blamed... they give the kids everything! last time we had to work for it... (sounds like I am so old already... Please note that I am not that old) sorry for blabbering...
    I don't think younger people are being too dependent. They are simply taking more short-cuts than we were more accustomed to. Think about it, with the information literally at the finger tips, there's really no incentive for them to go through the whole round-about way to seek for information. And in this society, where the ends seems to justify the means, short-cuts ain't scorn upon, but are rewarded.

While it is perfectly alright to find shortcuts in numerous things in life (I mean, who really bothers where the water and electricity comes from. We just wanna have it when we turn the tap or flip the switch on right?), there isn't shortcuts in education. Here, I would like to make a distinction though. In an academic institutional education (a.k.a. academic indoctrination), there do exist short-cuts for preparation of examination, like rote-learning of model answers and constant drilling of past year papers. However, a real education require constant learning and practising. Hence in this kind of education, short-cuts (like stuff written down in textbooks) would probably only give you one aspect of the subject, without giving a full comprehensive treatment to the subject.

Frankly, who cares about academic indoctrination, apart from them being a jumping board into society? It's the real education that matters. And real education doesn't necessary be about dead and boring academic subject, it could be things of interest. Just look at choy. Although he has finished his academic pursue long ago, he has been keeping up all the while with his lifelong learning of fishes, through scientific researches, rearing, appreciating and hunting. It's much more meaningful than pursuing of a paper, and there's definitely no short-cut in that.

No, I'm not upset about the society reward the ends no matter what the means are. And I'm not upset about parents giving the children everything too. I'm just disappointed that students here ain't mature enough to understand that to have an education fully, one have to stop looking for short-cuts.

Then again, it's probably too late for them to start reading Silent Spring now...
    Last edited by The_Cheat; 8th November 2005 at 12:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hwchoy

My friend was joking the other day that all the guys get a F, the gals get a pass. And if the gals come and appeal, then they will get a B. An A depends on what kinda service they provide... hur hur hur!

Err... this is sick man!

some photos of geylang...

blog: inbloomphotos.wordpress.com

My friend was joking the other day that all the guys get a F, the gals get a pass. And if the gals come and appeal, then they will get a B. An A depends on what kinda service they provide... hur hur hur!

Err... this is sick man!
    Very sick!!!

and some more photos of geylang...

Quote Originally Posted by khairi
    some photos of geylang...

Wah! This one very nice!! So many shoes...

and even MORE photos of geylang...

and ...er...finally...*yawn...some photos of geylang.

Hey swampy, your series of picture seems to be a bit "fake". "Fake" as in a number of them are actually posed shots. While there is honestly nothing wrong with asking people to post, and certainly some of the pictures are great taken individually, like the one snap snap have just pointed out, the flow of the whole series seems to be quite funny, at least from my point of view. I mean, the only thing that I could make sense of in the series is you, being the person going through the pasar malam, capture sights and sound of the scene there. Hence, the feel would be probably more coherent, if there isn't any posed shots, like that of the family. The series feel would actually be better if you'd just include: the first shot in first post, first and third shot in the second post, the whole of the third post. second and third shot in the fourth post, last shot in the fifth post and the whole of sixth post. It would probably be better to arrange it chronologically as well, with a from light to darkness feel.

However, do note that even by enhancing a theme, most of the pictures lack the punch, and are rather forgettable. Still, I guess it's great to see your posts/ pictures again!
    Last edited by The_Cheat; 8th November 2005 at 03:03 PM.

posed shots? well...i think 3-4 only out of 80+...so how fake is that? hehehe

as for the arrangement...i heck that...cos i just want to post some picts...no particular reason...more like...filling up the thread hehehe

Quote Originally Posted by khairi
    posed shots? well...i think 3-4 only out of 80+...so how fake is that? hehehe

as for the arrangement...i heck that...cos i just want to post some picts...no particular reason...more like...filling up the thread hehehe
    I'm counting 5 already in your last few posts lor. Anyway, it's just a feel; and feel, being subjective and all, is well, not indicative. So this fakeness may be felt only by me, and no one else. And, as in all types of feeling, it doesn't really matter what the quantity of picture is. Most of the time, people will only remember that one or two memorable shots in a series, even though it's of a completely different thing as compared with the rest of the series.