Thread: Carrying Batteries Onboard

Default Carrying Batteries Onboard

i understand that due regulations in the aviation industry. The carrying of batteries is greatly restricted. In particular, rechargeable batteries (specifically: Li-On).

May I know to a greater extent on these regulations? From what it seems, what is allowed is not consistent across the various Airlines.

Our camera batteries, flash batteries, and power banks are rechargeable.
    How do you all carry them when you fly?

Do share with me. Thanks!

Default Re: Carrying Batteries Onboard

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzeneggerchia81 View Post
    May I know to a greater extent on these regulations? From what it seems, what is allowed is not consistent across the various Airlines.
    What greater extent? You are correct, it varies by airline so you simply need to check the details for the ones which you'll be using.

A spokesman for the Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore (CAAS) said ICAO's latest restriction will be conveyed to airlines and other relevant industry players.

"Currently, passengers are permitted to carry portable electronic devices containing lithium batteries in checked-in or carry-on bags," she said.

"However, spare batteries, including power banks, are not permitted to be carried in check-in bags. They are permitted in hand- carry bags only."

Singapore carriers also have their own guidelines, on top of what is now required by the regulator.

On Jetstar Asia flights, those who wish to carry the items onboard are allowed two lithium-ion batteries under 101 watt-hours each that are part of electronic equipment.

Only one other spare battery under 101 watt-hours may be carried on board, said a spokesman.

On Tigerair, passengers may carry on board personal devices with a capacity of up to 160 watt-hours.

Singapore Airlines allows laptops and mobile phones with less than 100 watt-hours and a lithium content of less than 2g as onboard items. A mobile phone typically uses a battery that is less than 10 watt-hours.

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapor...s-from-april-1

I rather hand carry than run the risk of my check in luggage getting into various issues

Blog Entries

All Li-on batteries have to go into your hand carry.

And for China, they are very strict about this. Only one powerbank per person allowed, and max of 15,000 mAh capacity.

My understanding is that so long your batteries are not connected is allowed. Once to load in the flash gun and left it in your luggage they will ask you to remove from the baggage.

Flash batteries are Nimh iirc

Correct observation. Therefore, simply check with the airlines you intend to use. While some airlines (e.g the budget range) do not seem to have any specific rules other airlines (I recall Quantas) have clear stipulations about the amount of batteries and how to handle / carry them.
    In addition, the security checks before boarding are done by airport security. The regulations can vary between different airports. Do check the online advisories of the airports and countries.
    EOS

Quote Originally Posted by Berkins View Post
    Flash batteries are Nimh iirc
    I'm afraid this detail will not matter much. Security staff will likely not engage in technical discussions about battery technologies. It's a battery, period.
    EOS

i understand that due regulations in the aviation industry. The carrying of batteries is greatly restricted. In particular, rechargeable batteries (specifically: Li-On).

Our camera batteries, flash batteries, and power banks are rechargeable.
    How do you all carry them when you fly?

Do share with me. Thanks!
    Carry ALL on your body and hand carry... no issues for consumer devices.

ALL Hover Boards Banned.
    See my WTS items.. :) Any sales is by meet up face to face, payment is cash only.

If you are travelling with a drone and spare batts, it's best to distribute evenly so that each pax carries one batt. If u travel alone, then it may be harder depending on which airline/country. Brunei, for eg, totally forbids the import of drones unless unless u apply way in advance and have a certified pilot's license. Alternative is to rent locally.

Just sharing info.

UncleFai has a thread on carrying onboard Li-on batteries:

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1597552

Wilbur

Expand your mind or get left behind